Beats Audio

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So if you don't own a pair of beats, its pretty much pointless?

On my Rezound without the beats headset yes it's worthless. Beats audio enhancement can be turned on and off, but you don't have the option to turn it on without the Beats. My Rezound came with a set of Beats, not sure if the newer HTC devices come with them.

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia dolby is nothing but an equalizer. One some of HTC's devices beats audio is also just an equalizer. For those devices it just comes down to preference.

HOWEVER, for the 8x, HTC has designed a special hardware amp on the device itself. It is not just a simple software equalizer like dolby. It's hardware based, it's a physical add-on. It actually makes a big difference, regardless of whether you listen to it with headphones or using the built in speakers.

If you like music, the 8X is undoubtedly going to be the better choice. Check the following out:

Quick demo of the HTC 8X with audio amplifier | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
yes the amp boosts the volume but still no control over the sound, bass/treble/midrange room effects etc. if the sound is bad at regular volume why would you want to turn it up.

Because it sounds pretty good. The audio sample sounds clear and produces a louder sound without any distortion.

You're right, no windows phone has an equalizier as far as I can tell. However, things being what they are, I think HTC made the best out of the situation. Besides, a phone with an amp is better than one without.

Besides, an amp should make headphones sound better as well if I'm not mistaken.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit of an audiophile, and in the world of headphones, Beats, Bose, and the big brand names are generally as a whole considered a joke. The quality of the big brnad cans that you pay $300 for is comparable to that of a <$75 pair from a more specialized brand such as Grado, Audio-Technica, or even Sennheisers. You really do pay for the brand name, and not much else.

That's why I'm skeptical of Beats on the 8X, while it may be a nice addition and could improve the quality compared to other devices, I'm honestly setting my expectations pretty low. I'm not sure if it even has a dedicated audio card, I'm pretty sure that MS' guidelines for WPs prohibit things like that anyways. Besides, if you REALLY want to improve the audio quality of your music, get better headphones, they account for much more than the audio player. I use the ATH M50s, and they're nothing short of excellent for the price that you pay.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
for me at this point this is one of the major letdowns on windows phones is the inability to adjust the sound. you are stuck with whatever presets come on the phone be it beats,dolby, SRS. of the three SRS has to me proven to have the best sound but using the built in equaliser in ZPlayer on my onex takes the listening to a different level. At this point for listening pleasure android is still ahead of WP. we can only hope that apps such as Poweramp,Winamp,Playerpro find their way to WP but so far the OS seems to be closed to that. Maybe WP8 will change that

As far as I know the audio enhancements on my HD7 enhance the sound in both the music player and for the entire system. On android the enhancements only work in their specific media players. Which to me is a letdown and puts WP ahead of android. While we are on audio quality OEMs really should be moving beyond TRS plugs and begin investing in micro-USB headphones or S/PDIF, TOSLINK headphone jacks. Both of those provide better audio quality than TRS.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit of an audiophile, and in the world of headphones, Beats, Bose, and the big brand names are generally as a whole considered a joke. The quality of the big brnad cans that you pay $300 for is comparable to that of a <$75 pair from a more specialized brand such as Grado, Audio-Technica, or even Sennheisers. You really do pay for the brand name, and not much else.

That's why I'm skeptical of Beats on the 8X, while it may be a nice addition and could improve the quality compared to other devices, I'm honestly setting my expectations pretty low. I'm not sure if it even has a dedicated audio card, I'm pretty sure that MS' guidelines for WPs prohibit things like that anyways. Besides, if you REALLY want to improve the audio quality of your music, get better headphones, they account for much more than the audio player. I use the ATH M50s, and they're nothing short of excellent for the price that you pay.

I have a pair of ATH M30s. Wanna trade? :p

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Amp this and amp that. What really matters (which is the area where most phones fail today) is the D/A converter, without a good one it is still gonna sound crappy no matter how much power you've got. I am kind of on the fence between an 8X and a Lumia 920, unless one of them have got a better D/A converter neither of them are going to have a particular edge in the audio department.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills