WIFI Hotspot?

migespy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
is it still gonna cost $30 a month. This is the main feature making me hesitant from jumping off Android into WP8. I can root my Android for free WiFi hotspot. Other than that sole feature I am completely ready to abandon Android.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
is it still gonna cost $30 a month. This is the main feature making me hesitant from jumping off Android into WP8. I can root my Android for free WiFi hotspot. Other than that sole feature I am completely ready to abandon Android.

your carrier doesn't look out for things like that?

personally, i'm on a grandfathered blackberry plan with unlimited data and tethering (compatible with any smartphone), so there's no way i'm ever switching

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I got free tethering on my Verizon Trophy (unlimited data plan) using the instructions in this post:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/1686471-post24.htm

I'm guessing the same trick will work for the 8X.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I hope it will. It seems this workaround is for 3G tethering on the Trophy. Not sure it will work for LTE on the 8X. Here's hoping.

In my experience, doesn't work with LTE phones. I've never had an LTE phone, but have failed attempting to enable this a two buddies phones. Has worked fantastic for me for many years on HTC Incredible and now the Trophy. Can't confirm on the 8x though. Most people will be forced to shared plans so doesn't matter. If you buy outright to keep unlimited data, worth verifying this functionality first if its important.

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I would be interested to find out if internet sharing works for those of us with unlimited data on Verizon. If no one knows, I'm willing to give it a try once the phone is out and pay the $35 restocking fee if it doesn't.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
For sure sharing will work if you pay Verizon to enable it. Thats unrelated to the plan, other than the hotspot functionality is included in the share everything plans. The question here is whether the sharing "mod" works on an LTE phone.

migespy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
For sure sharing will work if you pay Verizon to enable it. Thats unrelated to the plan, other than the hotspot functionality is included in the share everything plans. The question here is whether the sharing "mod" works on an LTE phone.

That is still the question. Any updates on workarounds?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

the question is, will it be worth it for you to go to a share everything plan. For me it's to expensive.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

FYI - If you have a significant other that also has Verizon, you can jump to the family shared plan. This gives you unlimited voice, text and free tethering for up to 10 devices. You add the data plan that fits you. It goes in increments of 2GB. For instance, I took the 8GB data plan and my wife and I have two phones. You can add tablets or other devices for $10 each, so if you have a tablet with a 3G connection, add it for $10. Also, it's illegal for Verizon or any other carrier to charge you extra for tethering, though they still enforce it, for now. I think you'll find tethering will be free wtihin a year or two no matter the plan.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, first here is the actual story about tethering:

Tethering apps must be allowed, FCC tells Verizon | Ars Technica

Note that because it is a ruling based on the 700Mhz open access band it only applies to Verizon and only to non-unlimited data plans. So let's knock off the nonsense that charging for tethering is illegal. If people do any of the hacks listed above and they are on an unlimited data plan they are stealing - plain and simple. If they are on a non-unlimited plan there is no reason to do a hack - use the hotspot functionality already built in.

Second, Verizon is in full compliance with this already - they do not charge for tethering on any plans that have non-unlimited data.

Third, all new Verizon plans are either "share" or "prepaid" plans. Weird, but true. Actually it can save you money in certain usage scenarios.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett