Verizon iPhone 5 has unlocked GSM Sim tray - what's with the 8X?

greg.hoch

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I love that the verizon iphone 5 is CDMA/GSM dual-mode and has an unlocked GSM Sim tray. What is with the 8X? Does it has a GSM sim tray and is it unlocked? I really need so that I can use it in Europe with local SIM cards. Does anyone know? And if it has one, how do I switch between CDMA and the GSM sim? Can I do that via software without removing the GSM sim?

Thanks!

Edit:
Here is info about the unlocked IPhone 5 sim tray:
http://www.inquisitr.com/339380/verizons-iphone-5-is-already-unlocked-ready-for-gsm-sims/

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, the Verizon Trophy (also supports GSM) has an option in the settings that lets you switch between CDMA and GSM. No need to remove the SIM. I'm sure WP8 will work the same way.

I remember reading a while ago that the Verizon 8X will be dual mode (GSM/CDMA) as well. Whether it comes SIM unlocked out of the box is anyone's guess.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, you would have to switch the SIM, but that would be it if it's an unlocked world phone. The Trophy is different because the SIM is only used for roaming, while the 8X uses it for the CDMA and LTE on Verizon too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes