Windows Phone 8X review topic.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well even though the 8X is the official Windows Phone 8 device and is getting mad recognizion everywhere, this board is Lumia's land. So since nobody is going to bother uploading reviews and stuff. I'll be posting them and giving it quick summarys for the lazy people.

Engadget:
HTC 8X review: Windows Phone 8's compact flagship -- Engadget

There's no doubt that HTC's Windows Phone 8X is a worthy flagship. It combines phenomenal looks, solid construction and high-end specs in a relatively compact and delightfully colorful package

Engadget is head over heels over this device, but doesn't love the OS.

PhoneDog video review
Part one: HTC Windows Phone 8X Review Part 1 - YouTube
Part two: HTC Windows Phone 8X Review Part 2 - YouTube

Aaron love the look of the device and the improvements made on WP8 but didn't like how they kept most of the annoyances from WP7.

Phone Arena review: http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HTC-Windows-Phone-8X-Review_id3168#1-

Ultimately, the HTC 8X is surely a strong competitor in the Windows Phone camp, but as we look at the broader spectrum, it pales in comparison to some of the smartphone elites out there.

This one is a huge multiple part review and video review. They were disappointed by the camera, Battery Life and OS. Loved the screen and great call quality and reception. (The latter being a feature every reviewer seems to love)

Cnet review and video review:http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-windows-phone-8x/4505-6452_7-35454632.html

In the video version, the reviewer constantly call Tiles "widgets", which to be frankly that's what they are.
The normal review is detailed and test lots of things the user wants to know, it offers voice samples and stuff.

*I highly recommend reading this one*

They also working on a comparison between this phone and the Lumia 920.

35454632-2_610x407.jpg

First, the 8X is more contoured and lighter than the Lumia 920; the latter is quite heavy and a solid brick of a phone, and the 8X is easier to pick up and pocket.

Wired review: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/10/htc-8x/

HTC has delivered something Windows Phone has needed for a while: a phone you’d actually want.
They love how thin and sturdy the device feels and the FFC camera, hated the fact that onlike Nokia has transport service and the camera was meh.

Gizmodo review: (Gizmodo is sadly down because of hurricane Sandy, but I managed to nab the review but using the cache' page)
http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=8X...2&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=513c6020,80b299b3
Nokia has been alone on the vanguard of worthwhile Windows Phone hardware for a while now. But that's no longer the case. Here's HTC's 8X.

Gizmodo seem pretty positive about the device, the loved the screen and build. The camera didn't rocked their world sadly, which is pretty surprising considering is the same as the OneX so maybe there's some software issue that needs to be fix.

Stuff.tv: http://www.stuff.tv/review/htc-8x
This is the first phone in ages to evoke involuntary gasps at first sight

This reviewer loves how fast and fluid the device is, and surprisinly likes the OS also. But he calls the lack of apps an Achilles heel.
Here's also review list site.

HTC Windows Phone 8X review - gdgt

Please update the topic with new reviews you find, and discuss them =)

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, people are more pumped about the 920, some even more about the 820 series. But I think we all hope HTC see the 8X and 8S become successful. I have said it before: Without HTC's support of WP7, there may not have been a WP 8 on Nokia. I truly hope WP 8 leads them back to prosperity instead of that "other" OS.

Here is Phone Arena's review, which is very unimpressive. They really didn't spend a lot of time with the new features.

HTC Windows Phone 8X Review

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that link Snowmutt I updated the tile. I disagree though, this was a fantastic review, even if it wasn't that positive.

Aventator, the ones on 4G say the battery was above average and pretty decent. LTE version seems ok, nothing to write home about but not bad by any means, just ok.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought the Phone Arena review was strange. They came at it from a weird angle, and came to a very different conclusion on the camera from pretty much everyone else, including the Verge, who tend to not be very pro WP8. The writing style was also very stilted, it bugged me.

Unfortunately no one had a Verizon unit, or even an AT&T unit, so there wasn't any info on LTE, since they were all the international unlocked version.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Since the announcement of wireless charging Winterfang, I think I could walk away from Nokia this go round and not break a sweat. It'll have Nokia drive so I won't miss that, plus, its Windows Phone 8. I like that its thinner too.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
the sleek and sharp design put's the 8X as the nicest looking WP8 device out. was playing with a dummy phone for the 8X and it really does seem ahead of the pack in terms on look/feel.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Something I really liked while watching the Phonedog review. Is that the AT&T version of the device has zero logos in the front. This makes it look really good and iphone like.

Also the AT&T logo on the back is pretty tasteful also. Not like that disgusting Verizon logo in the main button on the Note II.

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Something I really liked while watching the Phonedog review. Is that the AT&T version of the device has zero logos in the front. This makes it look really good and iphone like.

Also the AT&T logo on the back is pretty tasteful also. Not like that disgusting Verizon logo in the main button on the Note II.

Isn't the Verizon logo on the back of the 8X?? I thought there were leaked photos of that, but could be wayyy off. Lol

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the Verizon logo on the back of the 8X?? I thought there were leaked photos of that, but could be wayyy off. Lol

Yeah, I'm just referring to other phones. I just think is refreshing to not have a logo in the front of your smartphone. Not even HTC's.

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree oddly enough lol. Until I started looking more into Win8 and reading these forums, I was never bothered by the Verizon branding on my Droid.... now it sticks out like a soar thumb.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I always imagine Verizon design leader, as being a 900 years old billionare.

Design artist: Sir, we already put the Verizon 4GLTE logo on the back of the device.

VDL: Wait a second, people put covering on the back of the phone, I want the Verizon logo, hovering in the middle of the screen 24/7!!.

Design artist: That sounds illegal sir.

*smacks*

VDL: I give the orders around here, put it in the home button then and bring me some young boys, I'm feeling naughty. *nyac nyac nyac*

Verizon-Galaxy-Note-2-home-button.jpg

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm gonna give the 8x a shot. Keep my gs3 just in case so I can swap back if need be lol. I'm very excited for the phone but not so much for wp8

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm gonna give the 8x a shot. Keep my gs3 just in case so I can swap back if need be lol. I'm very excited for the phone but not so much for wp8

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's the case of every review so far. I updated the post with a couple more reviews. Here are things all have in common.

1-Reception and call quality is amazing.
2-FFC wide angle is useful but the lack of quality disappoints.
3-Best looking device in a long time.
4-Amazing screen.
5-Windows Phone OS is holding the device back.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting all these, Winterfang. The 8X needed some love on these forums. I've mainly been interesting in hearing about the design and feel of the device, and you found some good reviews that really focus on that. I feel very good about buying the 8X now.

If there are any mods listening, this thread could use a sticky.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
A Microsoft Store is opening tomorrow at the mall I work with. So I'll be there checking out the Windows Phones. If they have the new ones I'll be comparing them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss