Why I'm getting an 8X instead of a 920

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Been playing with Dan's Lumia 920 and 8X the last 24 hours...

The 8X feels better in the hand. It has a beautiful profile, and I love the soft touch back. Just a great device to hold. Kinda like an iPhone 5 in terms of footprint, but it's sculpted nicer so fits way better in the hand.

The Lumia 920 is a bigger, bulkier device. It's a beast in comparison to the 8X. BUT... I like it. I don't mind the weight and size. It feels like a real device.. a tool... a real quality piece of hardware. Camera is great, I like the 32GBs, the screen that works with gloves.. all the little details. It's a beast, in a good way.

So I'm going Lumia 920 when I grab one to try out (wanna get to know Windows Phone 8 for my Mobile Nations World Tour!)

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site

The 8X feels better in the hand. It has a beautiful profile, and I love the soft touch back. Just a great device to hold. Kinda like an iPhone 5 in terms of footprint, but it's sculpted nicer so fits way better in the hand.

The Lumia 920 is a bigger, bulkier device. It's a beast in comparison to the 8X. BUT... I like it. I don't mind the weight and size. It feels like a real device.. a tool... a real quality piece of hardware. Camera is great, I like the 32GBs, the screen that works with gloves.. all the little details. It's a beast, in a good way.

So I'm going Lumia 920 when I grab one to try out (wanna get to know Windows Phone 8 for my Mobile Nations World Tour!)

Maximus21jr

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
FYI:

Included somewhere in the Nokia/Microsoft contract was the mandatory use of Nokia Drive. Why else would Microsoft offer the paltry, stripped down maps application it has offered in WP8? Why else would we be forced to use Nokia Drive to fully enjoy turn by turn voice guided navigation in windows phone 8? If this is so, Microsoft either needs to buy out Nokia (eliminate the middle man) or not be such a pushover at its next major contractual agreement!

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
LOTS of Nokia fanboys around here who troll the non-nokia boards.

Are pictures and nav THAT important to people? I mean I guess I understand but I personally don't try to take professional photos or expect professional photos from my phone. It's great to have a good camera but not a deal-breaker to everybody.

Also with the nav... People on these forums act like Nokia Drive is the ONLY option for navigation. Personally I know my way around and don't need / want nav unless I am in an area that is foreign to me which doesn't happen often. In which case... there are OTHER options.

Yes, pictures are that important. Who said anything about professional photos? What you want is something that can replace your point and shoot. I am not one to carry around a DSLR. A point and shoot captures the memories just fine, and the best smartphone cameras today give you that ability right in your pocket at all times. Since the WP8 OS is basically the same from device to device, the camera is of utmost importance to me.

As for navigation, I don't think it is too much to ask for built-in nav on the platform considering both of the competitors OS have this now. Oh and BTW they are both killing WP in the marketplace. 3rd party options are okay, but they are an extra swipe and hunt for the app away rather than just baked into Bing search results like it would be with OS-based nav.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well just look at Apple and iOS. Turn-by-turn navigation was JUST brought in with iOS6, after 5 years of the iPhone being on the market, and on top of that, the iOS6 maps suck!

That being said though, Microsoft needs to develop it's own navigation app in-house. Nokia has the best option right now, but only Nokia phones have it. Microsoft needs to develop a nice turn-by-turn app that will be part of the OS, on all WP devices.
Not true. Nokia has made Nokia Drive available for everyone. It is other OEM's mistake, if they don't want to use Nokia's app. Blame them, not Nokia.
Nokia has every right to include their name on the app. Just like MS uses "Bing Maps" name, Nokia has every right to use their naming.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I guess, you haven't read the reviews properly then.
No one has said that 8X design is well ahead of 920. The only comment everyone has had is it's weight,which is obvious. That doesn't mean that design is bad. That was the trade-off required for that fantastic screen,camera and wireless charging.
Camera: 920 has the best camera-overall. (counting day and night and video).
Nokia can still improve day pictures with future SW updates. HTC can't improve low light pics with future SW updates, since Nokia is doing that through hardware.
Audio: No one has yet compared 8X and 920's audio capabilities(other than spec sheet)

Btw. I think some reviews have shown that 920 edges out 8X in battery life, unlike your technical assumption.

the 8X has a lot of pros over the 920 (as well as the 920 over the 8X)

Design - is very sleek. every review so far even states the 8X design is well ahead of the 920 BUT thats all really just opinion.

Audio - Even if you think Beats is over rated... the audio is still better.

Camera - Takes a nicer normal picture/day time picture, lightening fast picture taking due to the image chip inside (gets smoked in the dark and smoked by videos)

***another thing to note is technically the 8X is a little more powerful than the lumia 920... the 920's sensitive touch/screen tech uses more resources on the cpu and they both use the same cpu (as well as the 8X's image chip being use to process the camera function)

that all being said... they both has lots of pros over the other.

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to jump on the 8X bandwagon when I can find one in store locally. Two main reasons for me:

1) Nokia's ludicrous decision to lock into EE (in the UK) with their overpriced contracts. I've been off contract for years and want to stay that way for flexibility.
2) I've been an iUser for years and I want to dip my toes in the water of WP8. I may not like it but I doubt that. With a SIM free 8X I can move it on if WP8 is not for me. Not so if I'm on a 12 month lock on a 920
3) I can get the 8X in blue. I understand the 920 will not be in the UK in blue until next year.

OK, so that's three reasons!

If I like WP8 and once the 920 is available SIM free and if I feel the need for LTE etc., then maybe I'll take a closer look at the 920 which, on paper at least, looks the better of the two.

Talking of LTE, any idea why the UK 8X doesn't support this?

Duncan

Appmek

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Tried an L920 dummy the other day at a Nokia store. Boy is it heavy, much much too heavy imo. Shame, really wanted one before.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

mr crackberry welcome

david376

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I agreed with you about the 8x until yesterday, the beats audio was a major thing for me (I LOVE my music) until I read/watched an 8x review (Engadget or slash gear i think) that said the beats audio does not work properly and music actually sounds better when its turned off.

I'm not sure if its true but the 920's 32gb storage may just beat the 8x's beats audio (don't even suggest an ative s for memory, besides the fact that the phone looks like an android phone me and SD cards have a hate hate relationship

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
"Anyone that disagrees is wrong". Wow. Ladies and gentlemen, Jesus Christ himself has started a thread on wpcentral... After that comment I stopped reading your post.

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
For me, it comes down to availability. I fully intend to impulse purchase the 8X sim free tomorrow.

For the record: if the 920 was available sim free and unlocked too, I'd pick that up. Without sounding too dramatic, Nokia's decision to go with EE means, for now, a lost sale for Nokia.

Other points I was considering until I learned about the whole EE thing:

- Wireless charging (big plus and the associated accessories - charging stand, pad, pillow, etc - are awesome). After hearing about Verizon's 8X with wireless charging I'm really hoping wireless charging comes to 8Xs in the UK.

- Design. The 920's screen does NOT melt into the body of the phone like the 800 (my current phone). There's a ridge around the screen - it's somewhere between the 800 and 900. Slightly disappointing. The body, whilst big and bulky, is just about acceptable (but slightly Tonka Toy). There is no doubt though, the 8X is definitely a nicer looking/feeling phone IMO.

- Nokia Drive. I didn't use it much, but it was handy to have.

The other +s and -s were not as important to me: Beats Audio, IOS, better low light pictures, City Lens, etc. Admittedly most +s in favour of the 920.

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to jump on the 8X bandwagon when I can find one in store locally. Two main reasons for me:

1) Nokia's ludicrous decision to lock into EE (in the UK) with their overpriced contracts. I've been off contract for years and want to stay that way for flexibility.
2) I've been an iUser for years and I want to dip my toes in the water of WP8. I may not like it but I doubt that. With a SIM free 8X I can move it on if WP8 is not for me. Not so if I'm on a 12 month lock on a 920

Duncan

Hit the nail on the head with those 2 comments.

TaliZora

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, pictures are that important. Who said anything about professional photos? What you want is something that can replace your point and shoot. I am not one to carry around a DSLR. A point and shoot captures the memories just fine, and the best smartphone cameras today give you that ability right in your pocket at all times. Since the WP8 OS is basically the same from device to device, the camera is of utmost importance to me.

As for navigation, I don't think it is too much to ask for built-in nav on the platform considering both of the competitors OS have this now. Oh and BTW they are both killing WP in the marketplace. 3rd party options are okay, but they are an extra swipe and hunt for the app away rather than just baked into Bing search results like it would be with OS-based nav.

I guess what I was trying to say was that picture taking on a phone shouldn't be expected to be amazing. The differences between the two make it irrelevant in *MY* opinion as to which one would be a deal-breaker. It's not like we are talking about a flip-phone camera vs a newly released smartphone camera - We are all nit-picking here. I just I am just not one to care about a little more detail in any kind of light... etc. My personal opinion.

About the nav... just not a deal-breaker for me and I guess I didn't do a good job of making that clear. I use nav so rarely that an extra swpie & tap really isn't a big deal at all. Also I never had a problem with bing maps + gps. Top-down view with no turn by turn voice works fine for me. It's not hard for me to find places or get the location of a place and navigate in my head how to get there. I don't know, just personal preference again.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

lol like devs gives two **** about Windows Phone. I remember when the Mango update was announced, they claim! "Two lines of code to make your app resume in multitask", nobody cared. Heck the Engadget app force closures when you lock the screen.

You cannot hope for devs to do anything on Windows Phone, not until we have any marketshare.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I agreed with you about the 8x until yesterday, the beats audio was a major thing for me (I LOVE my music) until I read/watched an 8x review (Engadget or slash gear i think) that said the beats audio does not work properly and music actually sounds better when its turned off.

I'm not sure if its true but the 920's 32gb storage may just beat the 8x's beats audio (don't even suggest an ative s for memory, besides the fact that the phone looks like an android phone me and SD cards have a hate hate relationship

I actually heard the audio on the 920 is better than the 8X. Maybe it was on the WPCentral podcast? And it's more like 28gb vs 12gb of actual free space.

I haven't held either, but I can see the attraction of the form factor on the 8X.

I agree with Elop (Nokia CEO), it's not about 8X vs 920, it's about Windows phone vs Android. For me, it's the 920 all the way, function over form :) But that's just me.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess, you haven't read the reviews properly then.
No one has said that 8X design is well ahead of 920. The only comment everyone has had is it's weight,which is obvious. That doesn't mean that design is bad. That was the trade-off required for that fantastic screen,camera and wireless charging.
Camera: 920 has the best camera-overall. (counting day and night and video).
Nokia can still improve day pictures with future SW updates. HTC can't improve low light pics with future SW updates, since Nokia is doing that through hardware.
Audio: No one has yet compared 8X and 920's audio capabilities(other than spec sheet)

Btw. I think some reviews have shown that 920 edges out 8X in battery life, unlike your technical assumption.
what? did you even read what you replied to? almost all of the reply doesn't make sense not to mention I didn't once mention the battery life.

you don't need to get ur undies all tangled up, I didn't bash any Nokia product at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea