Why I'm getting an 8X instead of a 920

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Is Microsoft out of their freaking minds?

They own a huge part of Nokia and Nokia owns the largest, best mapping service on earth.

Why would they waste their time developing their own when they have resources like this available, from Nokia, to all of the manufacturers?

Also, waiting on links to this "Enthusiast" instant upgrade program. Still haven't seen anything.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if HTC could be petitioned into offering Nokia Drive? Bing's nav is beyond awful. Not only do you have to tap on the screen, but the voice guidance spits out every name and highway number of the street you are looking for and it ends up a confusing mess.

I think the main reason they aren't offering it, is because it has Nokia's name right in front of it. If Nokia named it something else, then HTC would probably pick it up in a heartbeat, but I imagine they're hesitant to feature an app with another company's name right in the title.

TaliZora

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Your Bias is showing Winning Guy.

LOTS of Nokia fanboys around here who troll the non-nokia boards.

Wow, this nav thing could be a deal breaker for me as well, and just after I decided the 8X was for me due to the lackluster 920 camera and bloated form factor. Nokia Drive was supposed to be on all phones. Is Microsoft out of their freaking minds? Their new OS has no built-in hands-free nav now. That is simply unacceptable.

I wonder if HTC could be petitioned into offering Nokia Drive? Bing's nav is beyond awful. Not only do you have to tap on the screen, but the voice guidance spits out every name and highway number of the street you are looking for and it ends up a confusing mess.
Bright pictures at night/in dark closets is important to some people, so is stable video recording. Not so important to the others, I'd argue most people don't take pictures in the dark. And with the daylight pictures as average as they are, the camera is no longer a selling point. This is where the importance of the form factor comes in. Two phones, almost identical specs, similar daylight rear camera capabilities... It comes down to brand loyalty or form factor.

I'm not trying to scream about the 920 being fat and heavy, I've never held either device. But if the 8x feels better in my hand or pocket, that's the phone I'd get. If the 920s camera was as good as nokia made me believe, my choice would be different. Looking at it from the reviews, the form factor of the 8x (as long and awkward looking as it may be) is more comfortable than the 920. If Nokia's killer feature isn't very "killer", why opt for the phone that I won't like carrying around?

Can't wait to handle these two in person...

Are pictures and nav THAT important to people? I mean I guess I understand but I personally don't try to take professional photos or expect professional photos from my phone. It's great to have a good camera but not a deal-breaker to everybody.

Also with the nav... People on these forums act like Nokia Drive is the ONLY option for navigation. Personally I know my way around and don't need / want nav unless I am in an area that is foreign to me which doesn't happen often. In which case... there are OTHER options.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Also with the nav... People on these forums act like Nokia Drive is the ONLY option for navigation. Personally I know my way around and don't need / want nav unless I am in an area that is foreign to me which doesn't happen often. In which case... there are OTHER options.
I wouldn't care about Nokia drive if MS would just fix the built in maps so you don't have to tap for the next direction. But for some reason MS refuses to do this. If they would just make the simple fix then the built in maps would be just fine for me.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think both the 8x and the L920 are great looking devices. I'm on US T-MO so if I do get something it will be the 8x I just want WP8 to finally start getting the nods it deserves.

TaliZora

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't care about Nokia drive if MS would just fix the built in maps so you don't have to tap for the next direction. But for some reason MS refuses to do this. If they would just make the simple fix then the built in maps would be just fine for me.

Personally I don't understand why nav is so important to people. I guess unless you travel a lot? I know people who use their nav every day... It's like why? Do you not remember how to get to work?

Call me old school I guess - it just isn't a deal-breaker for me. Bing maps works fine for me.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Navigation is quite important. Is really stupid that turn by turn is exclusive to Nokia, is bad business and lowers the value of Windows Phone in general.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Navigation is quite important. Is really stupid that turn by turn is exclusive to Nokia, is bad business and lowers the value of Windows Phone in general.

I don't believe it's exclusive. Other OEMs can use it. But it's called Nokia Drive, so other OEMs may be choosing to not use it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Your Bias is showing Winning Guy.

So you're telling me that if a reviewer says they like the "looks, weight, and feel" of the 8X, and I state that the conclusion you can draw from that is that they like the "looks, weight, and feel", that means I'm being biased?

LoL

You're hilarious.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Bright pictures at night/in dark closets is important to some people, so is stable video recording. Not so important to the others, I'd argue most people don't take pictures in the dark. And with the daylight pictures as average as they are, the camera is no longer a selling point. This is where the importance of the form factor comes in. Two phones, almost identical specs, similar daylight rear camera capabilities... It comes down to brand loyalty or form factor.

I'm not trying to scream about the 920 being fat and heavy, I've never held either device. But if the 8x feels better in my hand or pocket, that's the phone I'd get. If the 920s camera was as good as nokia made me believe, my choice would be different. Looking at it from the reviews, the form factor of the 8x (as long and awkward looking as it may be) is more comfortable than the 920. If Nokia's killer feature isn't very "killer", why opt for the phone that I won't like carrying around?

Can't wait to handle these two in person...

I like a lot more than the camera on the 920. But you're right. Form factor is a big deal. Form factor is also very subjective and personal.

Many people will prefer the 8X because they personally prefer the form factor. No argument from me.

I tend to dislike when someone takes something subjective, like form factor or sturdiness, and thinks that there is only one valid opinion.

Last edited:

ozziegt

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was REALLY looking forward to the Nokia 920 but now that all the reviews are coming out, the decision has become really difficult mainly because of the weight and the size. What does the Nokia really offer? A bigger screen (but the same resolution, I prefer the smaller screen actually), more touch sensitivity (doesn't matter to me really), Nokia exclusive apps, wireless charging and what was supposed to be an amazing camera. The last 3 items are still big pluses for me but I just don't know if it's worth the weight and size. It looks like the Nokia might be cheaper so I might end up getting it anyway if the weight is tolerable.

Also, I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet...Cnet has put up a 8X vs 920 comparison

jessecabrera

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I want the red HTC 8X but from what I've read, it's only going to be available for Verizon. What colors do you think are going to be available for T-Mobile?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So you're telling me that if a reviewer says they like the "looks, weight, and feel" of the 8X, and I state that the conclusion you can draw from that is that they like the "looks, weight, and feel", that means I'm being biased?

LoL

You're hilarious.

Now what I'm refering is that if a reviewer say something negative about the 920 is not what they meant. All reviewers can't be wrong. 920 excels in low light at the expense of regular pics, is on the same scale as the iphone/GS3/One X but not above it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Now what I'm refering is that if a reviewer say something negative about the 920 is not what they meant. All reviewers can't be wrong. 920 excels in low light at the expense of regular pics, is on the same scale as the iphone/GS3/One X but not above it.

Maybe you are mixing me up with someone else. I'm not claiming any of these reviewers are wrong.

All I said is that for one particular review, you jumped to a wrong conclusion based on what you quoted from the review.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I was REALLY looking forward to the Nokia 920 but now that all the reviews are coming out, the decision has become really difficult mainly because of the weight and the size. What does the Nokia really offer? A bigger screen (but the same resolution, I prefer the smaller screen actually), more touch sensitivity (doesn't matter to me really), Nokia exclusive apps, wireless charging and what was supposed to be an amazing camera. The last 3 items are still big pluses for me but the camera quality is looking dubious. I just don't know if it's worth the weight and size. It looks like the Nokia might be cheaper so I might end up getting it anyway if the weight is tolerable. It looks like I am going to wait it out for a week or two and see what happens.

Also, I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet...Cnet has put up a 8X vs 920 comparison

The 8X on Verizon will have wireless charging also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers