Why I'm getting an 8X instead of a 920

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The "TIMN 8X" post The Verge is pretty ****ty, but got me thinking. Feel free to ignore this post, just putting my own thoughts together and figured someone might like reading it.

HTC has been making dual-core smartphones for over two years, probably longer. They've been making cutting edge smartphones since forever. I feel like Nokia's fairly new at this semi-cutting-edge technology stuff. I feel like I'll be getting a quality product that's been assembled in factories that have been assembling phones exactly like this for quite a while. I have a couple friends that are still using their OG Evos from Sprint and they're running strong well past a what I would consider to be a normal smartphones life expectancy.

I've had three Lumia 900s. First one went back because the speaker at the bottom was setting off the capacitive buttons. Second one had a purple screen. The one I'm on now, which I've had since June, cannot be used as a normal phone. For five months now, every phone call I've made has been over the speakerphone because of the insane echo-ing on the other end of the line and I'm tired of people complaining to me about how I sound like ****.

The HTC is a better looking phone. Period. The 920 looks chubby, and the glossy polycarbonate (just call it plastic, FFS) looks tacky. Anyone who disagrees with this is wrong.

I couldn't care less about inductive charging. I'd rather have a phone that is charged properly and in a reasonable amount of time. I don't want to have to worry about my cat (or my arm) knocking my phone off of it's charging pad and waking up to a dead phone.

I'll feel better about throwing a little cash at HTC for not signing any carrier-exclusivity deals. I'd like to show them that I appreciate it. Sure I'm on AT&T, but I know plenty of people that aren't and Nokia's rubbing it in their face for no reason other than greed.

THAT ****'S GOT BEATS BY DR DRE SON, SO TRILL, SO CASH (but honestly, I hope someone finds a way to remove that ******* logo off of the back of it).

This screen that reacts to touch from apparently any solid material on earth has me concerned. I already have issues using my 900 if there's any finger butter, rain, dust, etc. on the screen and I don't even want to think about how bad it would be if the screen was actually designed to read input from non-human-sources.

Most people will be drawn to the 920 and I'd like to give HTC a little support so they don't ditch the WP market. The 8X is a kickass phone and I'd consider this my way of showing them that I appreciate them making an awesome, non-Android phone. It's not like Nokia has a choice either way.. and I think the WP world would take a pretty huge punch in the gut if the choices were JUST Nokia or Samsung.

I guess that's about it. I'll miss my Nokia Drive, but I got along without it just fine for the 16ish months that I used a Samsung Focus, so it's not even remotely close to being a deal breaker. Actually, you know what might actually be a deal breaker? The ESPN Fantasy Football app. Why is that a Nokia exclusive? Dammit, Nokia.

edit: just read that Nokia has actually given Nokia drive to the other manufacturers. Thanks for making my decision easier, Nokia.

Last edited:

TheNerdlyKnight

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well the good news is Nokia Exclusive apps are only exclusive for a few months. So hopefully ESPN FFL should be available for all soon.

As far as hardware design goes I'm with you, but from the end of being a T-Mobile customer. The 810 seems too square and bulky compared to the 8X. The 8X honestly is a breath of fresh air and an overall beautiful design.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

LightBulbIT

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It's your choice, but....

Good luck with your 8x when they stop supporting your phone a week after you bought it (unless you like the Android version of support (they release another phone).

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with your 8x when they stop supporting your phone a week after you bought it (unless you like the Android version of support (they release another phone).
What the heck are you talking about? Wp8 is going to be supported just like the iphone is. The updates will come directly from microsoft and not through the carrier. Also, My Trophy has gotten ALL of the updates so far and that's an HTC phone as well.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The HTC is a better looking phone. Period. The 920 looks chubby, and the glossy polycarbonate (just call it plastic, FFS) looks tacky. Anyone who disagrees with this is wrong.

You lost me here. I respect people's choices, tastes, and priorities for why they choose a device, but you come off here as blatantly arrogant. With a difference of .6mm there is little difference in the thickness of both devices, but you are entitled to your opinion and personal choice, just don't assume for the rest of us (and there are MANY).

This screen that reacts to touch from apparently any solid material on earth has me concerned. I already have issues using my 900 if there's any finger butter, rain, dust, etc. on the screen and I don't even want to think about how bad it would be if the screen was actually designed to read input from non-human-sources.

Has been confirmed that you can turn this feature off in settings if you prefer.

All that said, enjoy whatever phone you choose and I'll enjoy mine.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Microsoft will not allow them to not push updates through past one update cycle. Every manufacturer and carrier has one full update cycle in which they can hold an update back, then Microsoft forces it through with the following update.

This isn't an open source side project.

The updates will come directly from microsoft and not through the carrier.

They come from Microsoft but the carrier still has a full update cycle (usually 3-6 months) in which they have a chance to approve them or not. See above. I've been through the whole cut/paste update fiasco with V1 WP7 devices so don't get me started on the WP7 update process.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
You lost me here. I respect people's choices, tastes, and priorities for why they choose a device, but you come off here as blatantly arrogant. With a difference of .6mm there is little difference in the thickness of both devices, but you are entitled to your opinion and personal choice, just don't assume for the rest of us (and there are MANY).

I forgot there were still people on the internet that take obviously erroneous statements seriously. My apologies, I'll remember to use my [/sarcasm] tags next time. :) Yes, obviously there are people who would find a shiny, chubbier looking phone more appealing. I know many people who prefer their women chubby with a bit of a shine.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
@mgarcia you are perfectly right and this is what I've been saying here Nokia can't compare to HTC. Fine it's true HTC ****ed up sometime ago by not supporting but that doesn't mean they'll be doing it this time or it's their trademark. I know and they themselves have confirmed that after release support for their phones is now a priority. HTC phones are the best IMO and will never depart from them...like I always say, HTC FOR LIFE so go on buy an HTC WP and you'll never regret. As for Nokia, no comment but the time will come. Enjoy your HTC brother ;-)

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
No, you'll be able to bypass your carrier and upgrade directly from MS with WP8.

Wow. Do you have a link to this? I haven't been much involved with the WP community since the launch of the 900 but this sounds almost too good to be true. I hope you're right. You may have just made my day.

so go on buy an HTC WP and you'll never regret.

That's what I'm hoping for. I love my 900, but I can't say there haven't been times that eBaying it wasn't going through my head.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well-stated post, but shhh...keep it down or the 920 forums might hear you :)

I'll be happy to get the 8X as well. Some might say I'm biased because I'm with Verizon so my choice was already made for me. Maybe that's true. But I am a Nokia stockholder so that must count for something.

I really do think the 8X is the nicest looking WP8 out there. I would never say that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, but...I don't know what people are seeing that makes them prefer the look of one of the other phones. And don't get me started about HTC copying Nokia. Are you really copying if you make it better than the "original"?

I do think that the 920 does have slightly better features/specs, but it's a lot closer than people think. Storage isn't that important to me, but I know it is for some. And I'm not completely sold on the 920's camera, especially after seeing all the people freaking out over in the 920 forum.

And specs aren't everything (weren't we all agreeing about this 6 months ago?) The feel of the phone is important too, and every review of the 8X that I've seen gives high marks for the design and feel of the phone. I think that's what really sold me on the 8X.

I think HTC earned another purchase from me after making a solid device in the Trophy. It was never a flashy phone, but it was well supported and I never had any problems. The one real issue it had (problems with switching between GSM and CDMA) was fixed in an update. And they're doing right by the consumer by putting the 8X on all the carriers that are interested. All of those reasons are more than enough for them to earn my money again.

OMG55

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well-stated post, but shhh...keep it down or the 920 forums might hear you :)

I'll be happy to get the 8X as well. Some might say I'm biased because I'm with Verizon so my choice was already made for me. Maybe that's true. But I am a Nokia stockholder so that must count for something.

I really do think the 8X is the nicest looking WP8 out there. I would never say that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, but...I don't know what people are seeing that makes them prefer the look of one of the other phones. And don't get me started about HTC copying Nokia. Are you really copying if you make it better than the "original"?

I do think that the 920 does have slightly better features/specs, but it's a lot closer than people think. Storage isn't that important to me, but I know it is for some. And I'm not completely sold on the 920's camera, especially after seeing all the people freaking out over in the 920 forum.

And specs aren't everything (weren't we all agreeing about this 6 months ago?) The feel of the phone is important too, and every review of the 8X that I've seen gives high marks for the design and feel of the phone. I think that's what really sold me on the 8X.

I think HTC earned another purchase from me after making a solid device in the Trophy. It was never a flashy phone, but it was well supported and I never had any problems. The one real issue it had (problems with switching between GSM and CDMA) was fixed in an update. And they're doing right by the consumer by putting the 8X on all the carriers that are interested. All of those reasons are more than enough for them to earn my money again.
I will be getting the 920, and have no problem with you preferring the 8X over the 920, however Nokia does work hard getting developer on board and marketing WP. as far as designing something better than the originator, I would suggest you wait and feel each of the phones for yourself as opposed to listening to the reviews. I've been having the AMZER case on my L900 until today, and the 900 actually feels small and good in the hand. Daniel Rubino over at WPCentral had his 920 today and said the device feel exactly like the 900 due to the increased screen size, so it may work out well. Just as you say HTC has support its devices, I also feel Nokia is doing a good job as well, so you can go wrong with either of them IMO. Good luck

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the taller form factor on the 8X more than the 920s form factor. Right now I'm still leaning towards the 920 but I'm not buying a WP8 right away so we'll see.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I will be getting the 920, and have no problem with you preferring the 8X over the 920
I was just lightly poking fun at the people who get offended that you would prefer something else besides their choice. I know it's the minority, and you seem reasonable :)

as far as designing something better than the originator, I would suggest you wait and feel each of the phones for yourself as opposed to listening to the reviews.
I was referring to the look of the phone. I prefer the look of the 8X. That I can judge by pictures.

As far as the feel goes, obviously I can't judge the feel because I haven't touched either one. I was just saying that reviewers seem to really like the feel of the 8X. I wasn't trying to say anything about the feel of the 920 because, obviously I can't compare until I've held both.

you can't go wrong with either of them IMO. Good luck
I agree, they both seem to be great phones. Can't we all just get what we want and be happy?

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
It was my understanding if you signed up for the WP enthusiast you could bypass the carriers otherwise the carriers still had to approve it. of course there hasn't been a mention about the enthusiast since the first WP preview months back.

This is also what I'm finding.. which is why I'm assuming no one has posted a link to back that previous claim up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786