Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    That's true ha

Just bought it today, awesome phone :D

Beautiful to hold.

Sold my Titan for 130 back to Phones4U, got a cheaper contract for more than I had before so all in all very happy!

The 2 sales people selling them had never heard of the phone. Least they didn't try and convince me to go Android like the last time.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    What color bro? Please tell me is green.

"Hardware Tests" says gyro not available on mine.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicooke View Post
    "Hardware Tests" says gyro not available on mine.
    Hi! I'm currently considering the 8X, but I'm a bit concerned if it has no gyro. Is having no gyroscope a big disadvantage? What sample apps cannot run on gyro?

Thanks!

I don't know of any apps that require a gyroscope. It enables apps that use the orientation of your phone to work more precisely, but they still work without one. For example, both the night sky and photosynth apps work just fine on my Trophy, which doesn't have a gyroscope. They might be smoother on phones with one, but they still work regardless.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Haven't got one myself, but I saw someone with one today at the store I work at. Its strange though because its not out in the US.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaethos View Post
    I don't know of any apps that require a gyroscope. It enables apps that use the orientation of your phone to work more precisely, but they still work without one. For example, both the night sky and photosynth apps work just fine on my Trophy, which doesn't have a gyroscope. They might be smoother on phones with one, but they still work regardless.
    Nice! Do you have any games that require tilting the phone? Like I think in racing games where you tilt the phone in order to control the car? Does it work well even though no gyroscope?

I'm really excited about getting my first WP! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lean4838 View Post
    Nice! Do you have any games that require tilting the phone? Like I think in racing games where you tilt the phone in order to control the car? Does it work well even though no gyroscope?

I'm really excited about getting my first WP! Thanks!
    you might be confusing gyroscope for accelerometer ...

I cant think of anything ive ever tried or even wanted to do where a gyroscope was needed
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I think the Gyroscope is mostly use for things like... I'm drawing blanks.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    you might be confusing gyroscope for accelerometer ...

I cant think of anything ive ever tried or even wanted to do where a gyroscope was needed
    Oh, you're right! I just did a research and I am confusing the two! Thanks for that comment, I am now more knowledgeable about what accelerometer and gyroscope can do!

Just sharing some good reads I found:

Does having a gyroscope affect PhotoSynth? | Windows Phone Central
    Gyroscope in mobiles and tablets
    Photosynth for Windows Phone finally released | MobileTechWorld
    Gyroscope apps and games

Bottomline that I have found out: Gyroscope is a nice addition, especially for games. However, you can still live without it for everyday use! A lot of apps still use accelerometer mainly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lean4838 View Post
    Oh, you're right! I just did a research and I am confusing the two! Thanks for that comment, I am now more knowledgeable about what accelerometer and gyroscope can do!

Just sharing some good reads I found:

Does having a gyroscope affect PhotoSynth? | Windows Phone Central
    Gyroscope in mobiles and tablets
    Photosynth for Windows Phone finally released | MobileTechWorld
    Gyroscope apps and games

Bottomline that I have found out: Gyroscope is a nice addition, especially for games. However, you can still live without it for everyday use! A lot of apps still use accelerometer mainly.
    Yee exactly. The accelerometer works alot like a carpenters level. Gyro is rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    What color bro? Please tell me is green.
    :( Just the blue one Im afraid!

Think P4U only do the black or blue ones

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I picked up a black 8X yesterday from Phones4U and I am overall VERY happy with the phone. The build quality is awesome, WP8 is very smooth and the screen is awesome!

I'm not exactly sure how I could properly test this gyroscope thing? I'm open to suggestions here :)

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I picked up a black 8X yesterday from Phones4U and I am overall VERY happy with the phone. The build quality is awesome, WP8 is very smooth and the screen is awesome!

I'm not exactly sure how I could properly test this gyroscope thing? I'm open to suggestions here :)

I got mine this morning - and I love it! Brilliant little phone :-)

Two negative moments though: there is no Data Sense and there is no backup of app settings.

Also NFC does not work when I try to transfer photo to Android phones (I tried Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One X).
    Yeah has Data Sense been disabled with the 8x or has the Data Sense not yet ben released?

I got min e on the 2nd November for an O2 store in london. Love the phone totally, except for:

-no skydrive
    -no Skype
    -no Data sense
    -Cant find how to do Wifi sync

Anyone have any experience with the above?

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Writetomichael View Post
    Yeah has Data Sense been disabled with the 8x or has the Data Sense not yet ben released?

I got min e on the 2nd November for an O2 store in london. Love the phone totally, except for:

-no skydrive
    -no Skype
    -no Data sense
    -Cant find how to do Wifi sync

Anyone have any experience with the above?
    Same here. I suspect that we will see these features when the Lumia 920 and 8X are released in the USA.

Got mine Saturday morning in Blue from O2 got it for free on a 2 year with 2GB data for 36/month. Absolutely love it. The espn app is amazing coming from espn on 7.5 loving the multiple tile sizes and the screen is as crisp and clear as i have ever seen on a mobile. Not sure on the rooms service so far, sent a load of invites to my friends half of them ignored the request the other half said "thats what facebook is for". Only got a couple of small gripes. No skype or skydrive apps and looked for data sense but then re-watched the WP8 keynote and saw Joe B mention it was carrier specific and only verizon had it at present. Im also getting random reboots over 2 days of constant use its probably happened 5 times

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMorris View Post
    Same here. I suspect that we will see these features when the Lumia 920 and 8X are released in the USA.

Data sense is something that has to be enabled by the networks. The first to get it will be Verizon in the US.

BTW congrats to you all on getting your new phones, please post some pictures:)

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I've got one, I opted for one rather than the lumia 920 due to price and size.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    I think the WP8 versions of Skype and Skydrive are yet to be released on the store. Also I read somewhere that Wifi Sync is not there on WP8. Hopefully they'll add that in the future cause it's one of the coolest things about my Lumia 800!

Also, can't wait for the 8x! Was all in for the 920 but the potential pricing and the added weight is a turnoff.

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    2 questions, what price did u guys pay unlocked? And also how is the keyboard for typing? I've gotten spoiled by this 4.8 inch gs3 screen, keyboard is so easy to use. Does the 8x do pretty well?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast