Battery Life

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone finding the time to charge the phone painfully slow?

I tend to charge off USB when I can. I'm finding its taking nearly the whole day to get a full charge. My iPhone 4S took about half a day.

You mean USB port of your PC? This will always be much slower than dedicated charger.

Mikeyglw

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Battery now seems to have settled down now getting better results :) last charged 9 hours ago and sitting at 56% after some medium use.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have had mine since Saturday so got a few charges out the way. Had it charge for 7 hours overnight. Listened to music and constant browsing on the 1 hour journey into work. Heavy use all day got screen on 5 min display with loads of live tiles. Made a few calls answered some emails had maps running for a bit with local scout at lunchtime. Downloaded some apps replied on here a few times and now on my way home while writing this with music playing. Battery is on 35%

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Same here as the above poster. On O2 getting a mixture of H and H+.

Today I have 12% battery left after taking it off charge 11 hours ago. My approx useage..

40 minutes of Xbox Music Live streaming via HSPA+
1 Hour of internet surfing mostly via HSPA+
30 seconds of phone call
About 20 messages on WhatsApp
4 texts via SMS
10 minute FB Chat via Messages
20 minutes or so of fiddling.

pattyandchips

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
At least I am not the only one having an issue with the battery life- although it is slowly getting better. I got mine last Friday but didn’t start using it properly until Monday. I have only left it on charge until the green light but will have to put it on for longer.

My biggest problem is using the internet. As an actual phone the battery last’s fairly well but start using the internet or playing music and it loses charge very quickly. Today I haven’t used it much and managed to get 10 hours and still have 65% remaining. This is with the internet turned off until needed. If you use the internet for just 10 minutes the battery will decrease by about 2-3%. What’s worse I don’t remember having these issues with my HTC HD7.

Again im on O2 UK and getting H+ @hailst0rm My charge only takes an hour or two using the normal mains but do turn the internet off while charging.

Davidmuful

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is strange as I have found my 8X to be a real champ. I can almost get two days out of it. I never stream music or anything like that though, but I use it every morning to go for a 30 min run - thats using maps, gps and music. I check my rss reader all the time, make a few calls, surf the web for an hour over the course of the day. I have facebook and twitter updating. I always have wifi on and I'm mostly on H+. Basically, how a normal person would use their phone.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised that Windows NT does as well as it does.. I expected worse.

Still, a bit behind andro in certain tasks..

Identical specs, except the fact that the oneS has a smaller battery:

HTC Windows Phone 8X vs. HTC One S - GSMArena.com

HTC One S battery life testing is complete, here's how power-efficient the two Krait cores are - GSMArena Blog

gsmarena_001.jpg

HTC Windows Phone 8X battery life test concludes, results are inside - GSMArena Blog

gsmarena_002.jpg

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is one of the reasons I am leaning towards the 822 (They have the same size battery). I like LCD 2 more than AMOLED but the AMOLED uses less power and has 100 less ppi to power on the 822 compared to the 8x. I expect better battery life out of the 822.

No doubt the 8x will have a better looking screen though.

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
How are people finding battery life now they've had it for a few days/weeks. I'm two weeks in and still struggling. The phone has been properly discharged and recharged a good few times yet I'm lucky if I manage 10-12 hours with moderate use.
I've turned off background updating apps, wifi is only on for a few hours then switched off. Bluetooth is off. NFC is off.

For example today, I've used about 20 minutes of streaming audio from XBox Music today (impressively, that only used about 3%), downloaded some news from the BBC News app and Engadget and read that on the tube for about 20 minutes. Sent a couple of WhatsApp messages and read a couple of emails. I doubt my screen has been switched on for longer than 30 minutes since being taken off charge this morning at 7am. I'm at 60% now.

I fear I'm one of the only ones looking back through this thread.

Ben.

agolding

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been pretty great, off charge at 6:30am and then by about 11pm still have about 30% left, thats with about 2 hours of music/podcast listening, web browsing for about an hour and about 30 texts a day, email, bbc, wpcentral, whatsapp, twitter, fb, ebay all set to push data

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been pretty great, off charge at 6:30am and then by about 11pm still have about 30% left, thats with about 2 hours of music/podcast listening, web browsing for about an hour and about 30 texts a day, email, bbc, wpcentral, whatsapp, twitter, fb, ebay all set to push data

Are you 3G? H? H+? LTE?

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has gotten a lot better now that I've finished Angry Birds Star Wars ;)

Seriously though, games really seem to kill it fast - but nothing else makes a big hit. I remember on my HD7 just making a big download, whether over a data connection or wifi, would drain the battery by a noticeable amount. Yesterday my phone - albeit with limited use - was still on 60% or so after 12 hours discharge, with another 21 hours remaining according to Battery Saver. That's with a couple of background apps, NFC on, an hour or so of music playing (not streaming though,) and occasional checking of People hub and my RSS reader. Oh, and Facebook Chat switched on - I seemed to notice it made a difference to battery life on my HD7; not so much on the 8X. This is on o2 UK in London, so mostly H and H+ except for on the tube of course.

Overall I'm actually happy with my battery life now! A far cry from last week where it would struggle to last a day.

Also, I'd like to get a myth debunked here - I have heard from many sources that the new style of batteries we have in our phones do not need to be fully discharged and recharged to get the most out of them; in fact I have heard that letting them get down to critical levels regularly is actually detrimental to their life; the best policy is to top them up and keep them topped up. A half-discharge and full charge, or putting it on charge when it is 80% full, no longer decreases battery life. Who here with more brains (or links to websites with brains!) can confirm this? Anecdotal evidence in my case supports this - I've been charging my 8X very irregularly, and as can be seen above it seems to be doing fine.

EDIT: this link looks like heavy going but has some good tips - they seem to confirm that Li-ion batteries don't have a "memory" which is affected by fully discharging.

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
On my FIRST FULL DAY with my 8x. I'll post as the days go on! I'd love to get a full work day out of this (7-3) before I plug in on the way home in my car!

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm finding battery life ok, not great and still a little of a concern. Got my AT&T last Saturday, so almost a full week in. Today for example, came off overnight charge at 6:15 a.m., now it's 12:30 p.m. And am at 64%. Running LTE, no wifi or Bluetooth, about 4-5 calls, lots of outlook email, lots of live tiles running, Internet browsing. Is that good or bad? I don't know. I generally find that the first 10% goes quickly each morning, then it slows down and I generally make it through the day and home until I recharge in the evening.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
All check my post on extending your Battery Life.
a) HSPA+ Phones draw heavily in 3G/H/H+ use Edge when you only do Email and Msg on the road.
b) LTE phones have a 20% better battery life than HSPA+ Phones. Better chip.
c) CDMA Phones... please tell us more about your battery life.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So far I am very happy with battery. I am using it twice as much as the htc 3g slide I had and usually had to recharge it after 6 hours, now I get home from work and am at 50% at 9 hours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb