Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Quote Originally Posted by DallasFann View Post
    Nokia has been very quick to push out firmware updates to fix issues with my L900 when they have been identified. I had a Titan that never once got an update to fix any of the multitude of issues it had. It was returned 4 times for overheating and rebooting and never got fixed before I went with the L900. I'll take Nokia build quality any day.

I will be curious when wireless charging is included in the Verizon 8X what kind of weight it adds.

On your last point I think HTC is in more trouble than Nokia at this point. Nokia keeps bleeding money but has other divisions to help while HTC has none of that.

With all that being said I do hope HTC pulls it together and hope the 8X is a hit. We need choices and so far its only Nokia and HTC really providing them.

My wife's Titan also had to be returned due to overheating problems.

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Nope.

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    I must agree with the other here as the weight could be an issue. My Sammy Focus is listed at 119g. Moving to a device thats 55% heavier is not sparking my interests.

You can bet money that is why MSFT has buddied up with HTC. If Nokia cannot come with something other than a Lumia design in the very short-term there going to be in some serious trouble.
    What it all comes down to is personal preference. I prefer a Lumia device (getting the 810 in a week, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 920 at some point). I won't lie, I'm loyal to Nokia. My first cell when I got my service in January 2002 was a Nokia. Every phone I've had since, with the exception of my iPhone, has been Nokia. I lost my favorite of all my Nokia phones in a big store in January of last year, which sucked. But I digress... It's also about the kind of features you want in your phone. I would always opt for a Nokia Lumia because you'll get regular firmware updates, you have great exclusive apps, terrific hardware, nice design, plus a phone that's very, very sturdy.

As for the Lumia 920 being "too heavy," well, I'm a petite woman and I don't care about the weight because I would carry my phone in my mini-backpack purse anyway. :P If I'm out on a walk and listening to music on my phone, it would more likely be in my hand than in my pocket. I also know I can easily handle a "heavy" phone because I used to use my iPhone 4 in a hefty battery case all the time. ;)
    aubreyq likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    I like the 8X's weight and size better.

I'm confident the 920 will stomp a mudhole in the 8X's *** in absolutely every other category however and now that the price is $99 it's am easy decision.

As far as why people support Nokia. I can only speak for myself, but I like their design language, especially the fact that it's original and not "inspired" by someone elses successful designs. I also really appreciate the fact that Nokia is 100% committed to Windows Phone and is an active partner in the development of the OS (Nokia is the reason all you HTC and Samsung owners will finally have a decent map and nav app, you're welcome) and all the Nokia exclusive apps of course.

HTC will have to do much, much better than make a lightweight Taiwanese Lumia knockoff to win me over.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 
    aubreyq and cckgz4 like this.

Deleted.
    Last edited by Bearach; 07-08-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    I must agree with the other here as the weight could be an issue. My Sammy Focus is listed at 119g. Moving to a device thats 55% heavier is not sparking my interests.

You can bet money that is why MSFT has buddied up with HTC. If Nokia cannot come with something other than a Lumia design in the very short-term there going to be in some serious trouble.
    No, Microsoft teamed up with HTC because HTC was willing to call their phone the "Windows Phone 8X" and forgo their own branding (easy choice since it has no value unlike the Lumia brand). It has nothing to do with weight.

I think it's a good thing though. Competition is good. The fact there is a Lumia makes HTC build a better phone. The fact there is an HTC makes Nokia build a better phone. The consumer wins both ways.
    aubreyq and Bearach like this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    The unfortunate thing about the 920 is that the added heft was so they could add a high quality camera, but until they ship their undated firmware update, the 920 takes fuzzy, pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. :(
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    The unfortunate thing about the 920 is that the added heft was so they could add a high quality camera, but until they ship their undated firmware update, the 920 takes fuzzy, pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post

This is absurd. Microsoft didn't "join forces" with HTC to conspire against evil Nokia for making a device that's 185 grams. You people are daft for complaining about the weight. Its a non issue for most people and even if they think it's heavy, it's just them whining. 50gs is negligible. That's 5% of a kilogram difference. I can barely tell the difference between 10 and 15 kilograms let alone a bloody 50 grams.

Quit whining and be thankful that we are getting a great selection of devices.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    "Quit whining and buy this brick, damn it! Your preferences as a user are IRRELEVANT!"
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    My wife's Titan also had to be returned due to overheating problems.
    Impossible. brmiller1976 says every review calls everything HTC makes flawless.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Impossible. brmiller1976 says every review calls everything HTC makes flawless.
    Really? Could you point me to that quote? Or apologize for your mendacity? ;)
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Really? Could you point me to that quote? ;)
    I think I'll just point your trolling *** to my ignore list.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Go ahead, spammer :)

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    lol socialcarpet. First you make baseless accusations and then confronted you ran away, disgraceful.

If I recall correctly, someone (not sure if miller) said that a lot of people complained about the camera on the 920 and so far the 8X reviews had being flawless. (as in not mayor bugs or annoyances).

Not that every HTC reviewer says anything HTC make flawless. That's just stupid.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    It's okay. Some people cannot handle the truth. Socialcarpet has done the equivalent of going exclusively to FOX news ;)

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    This is absurd. Microsoft didn't "join forces" with HTC to conspire against evil Nokia for making a device that's 185 grams. You people are daft for complaining about the weight. Its a non issue for most people and even if they think it's heavy, it's just them whining. 50gs is negligible. That's 5% of a kilogram difference. I can barely tell the difference between 10 and 15 kilograms let alone a bloody 50 grams.

Quit whining and be thankful that we are getting a great selection of devices.
    I never stated anyone is conspiring against anyone. I'm saying MSFT is likely pretty disappointed with Nokia for what they have brought to the table. Its a clearly a superior device but end of the day, its still a phone. A damm heavy one at that.

You all can defend Nokia all you want but they really f&^*^&^%&-up by not bringing a light weight offering to the table as well. It may end up costing them their partnership with MSFT.

One other thing. To give you some background I have 30% of my IRA invested in Nokia. I'm very unhappy with this company as an investor right now. And I've already put my money where my mouth is.
    I think the 8x is superior becaaauuussse it is the best I can get on Verizon! Lol

No but seriously, camera isn't a big deal to me as long as it works during the day and is better than my trophy (impossible to be worse). I mean the phones do everything else almost the same. Deciding factor for me is how it feels in the hand.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    aubreyq likes this.

Except the fact that it doesn't take pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. It has some flaws in day-light photos so far, but makes up for it with amazing low light photos and and great video recording. HTC 8X doesn't offer anything like that.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    It does take noisy, blurry photos. I saw them with my own eyes.

I went with the HTC 8X in the end. I'm sure the Lumia 920 is a great phone, it just seems it isn't the phone for me. Why?

1. I listen to music more than I take photos. While I couldn't care less about Beats and it will be switched off as soon as I can turn on the phone (I'd even like to cover up the logo tbh..), I can tell you that the built in amp is a big draw.

2. Size and weight. I have an HTC Titan at the moment and I love it, but one of the places I listen to music is at the gym. To everyone saying that people who think the Lumia 920 is heavy should go to the gym, well I do and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't ever USE the Lumia 920 while working out. Having that thing in your pocket bouncing around while you run etc, just isn't good. The Titan is about the limit for that and I'm happy that the 8X will be significantly lighter. (No I don't want a separate device.)

3. I don't have a car, so Nokia Drive isn't very useful to me. Nor are many of the other Nokia exlusive apps, including music.

Yes I wish the 8X had more storage, yes I'm sure there will be more Nokia timed exlusive apps that I will want, yes the camera will be better.

The Lumia 920 isn't best in class at everything, and for a lot of people some of the issues (fairly raised in the reviews) are actually quite important. This isn't a paper specs race. You can't yet convince me of the value of Wireless charging no more than you can for 3D screens.

They're both "best" phones, just to different people.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tristan.rice View Post
    They're both "best" phones, just to different people.
    Well said.

I guess the question for AT&T subscribers now is, "Is the 8gb HTC 8X better than a 32gb Lumia 920+charging pad? Or is the 16gb HTC 8X worth double?"
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denis7 View Post
    Except the fact that it doesn't take pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. It has some flaws in day-light photos so far, but makes up for it with amazing low light photos and and great video recording. HTC 8X doesn't offer anything like that.
    The daylight photos on the 920 are fuzzy, pixelated and noisy. Sorry. It is true and has been noted in multiple reviews.

Speaking for myself, I am all for a "good enough" camera (since I am not a photographer). But if you're going to slam the competition's camera while declaring your own to be flawless, it better be flawless... and the 920 has daylight photo issues out the gate.
    Smg-Uk likes this.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast