Isn't the HTC 8X the best WP8 device afterall?

Tomasz S.

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
difficult to quantify as I haven't used the 900 for any extended period of time, but I'd say going from the 900 to 920 should feel much more natural than the 800. The difference is that the shell design being more rounded makes the device feel a little more hefty (although more ergonomic for swipes etc) than the 900

I'm begginning to see a pattern here. Most European WP enthusiasts come from a Lumia 800, which already is a brick in it's class. We're just not used to those huge phones, like Americans are with their 900 fitting perfectly in their sausage fingers. The 800 wasn't really offered in the US while the 900 never really took off in Europe.

I've had the 900 in my hand only for a few minutes, and was surprised how big and clunky that thing is. I need to be able to use the phone using only one hand, and I don't think I'd manage that with the 900. The sexy 8X with its narrow screen brings me hope i'll be able to comfortably use a 4,3'' device.

Oh, and I replaced a Mozart for a Lumia 800 back in february only because of the cool looks. Apart from the awesome screen the 800 didn't offer any new features but a ****ty camera, poor battery life, crappy sound and bugs that haven't and won't be ever fixed.

That being said, I've put the 8X in my amazon basket and I'm almost ready to proceed to checkout. Can anyone confirm, what UI languages are available in the UK version of this phone, pretty please?

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm begginning to see a pattern here. Most European WP enthusiasts come from a Lumia 800, which already is a brick in it's class. We're just not used to those huge phones, like Americans are with their 900 fitting perfectly in their sausage fingers. The 800 wasn't really offered in the US while the 900 never really took off in Europe.

I've had the 900 in my hand only for a few minutes, and was surprised how big and clunky that thing is. I need to be able to use the phone using only one hand, and I don't think I'd manage that with the 900. The sexy 8X with its narrow screen brings me hope i'll be able to comfortably use a 4,3'' device.

Oh, and I replaced a Mozart for a Lumia 800 back in february only because of the cool looks. Apart from the awesome screen the 800 didn't offer any new features but a ****ty camera, poor battery life, crappy sound and bugs that haven't and won't be ever fixed.

That being said, I've put the 8X in my amazon basket and I'm almost ready to proceed to checkout. Can anyone confirm, what UI languages are available in the UK version of this phone, pretty please?

Here's a video from Clove that show all the available languages in the UK version of the 8X Windows Phone 8X by HTC Languages

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If Nokia is not around then the future of Windows Phone is in jeopardy. Relying only on OEMs who are 99% invested in Android is an untenable position. They will never put in the 1/10 effort to innovate or promote the Windows Phone brand that Nokia does. Without Nokia's designs to imitate, all we'll get are more boring gray and black Android retreads like we have always gotten.

If you want to see Windows Phone thrive, you'd better hope Nokia sticks around, even if you don't like their phones.

This is my only problem with this forum. People pretend Nokia is god's gift to WP and EVERYBODY should respect and love Nokia OR ELSE WP is nothing!

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

My gf doesn't have a problem with the 900 and I have no trouble with it either.

Simply put, if you don't like the size of a phone, buy a smaller f**king phone and save the griping for yourself. I don't care for this useless griping over which WP8 model is the best.

On the plus side, at least we can all agree that the Ativ is the ugliest and move on with our days :p

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

lol... Fun fact, Spain is the fattest country in the world. (Yeah, that's in Europe ;) )

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
A very fair point. All the Nokia WPs are just rehashed Symbian and MeeGo phones with new internals -- the HTC phones, in contrast, are all-new designs exclusive to WP.
At least that is their own patented design that they are using with slight changes. Look at HTC and Samsung. Shamelessly copying other's design and then claiming that they have worked on that as original designs and the fanboys are more shameless who spent their days defending them.

GSMarena has reviewed the HTC 8X and here is their conclusion.They say the big upper bezel offsets the screen.

"By the looks of it, the HTC Windows Phone 8X fails to achieve what it sets out to. A more compact and a more affordable package without compromising the overall experience is what we were hoping for, but in the end we got a phone of similar size to the Ativ S and Lumia 920 with a much smaller screen."

and also,
"In fact, the HTC Windows Phone 8X will probably end up hitting way lower and competing with the Lumia 820. Nokia's mid-range device has AMOLED technology, a more compact body, a microSD card slot, LTE connectivity and easy customization through the replaceable covers. "

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
At least that is their own patented design that they are using with slight changes. Look at HTC and Samsung. Shamelessly copying other's design and then claiming that they have worked on that as original designs and the fanboys are more shameless who spent their days defending them.

GSMarena has reviewed the HTC 8X and here is their conclusion.They say the big upper bezel offsets the screen.

"By the looks of it, the HTC Windows Phone 8X fails to achieve what it sets out to. A more compact and a more affordable package without compromising the overall experience is what we were hoping for, but in the end we got a phone of similar size to the Ativ S and Lumia 920 with a much smaller screen."

and also,
"In fact, the HTC Windows Phone 8X will probably end up hitting way lower and competing with the Lumia 820. Nokia's mid-range device has AMOLED technology, a more compact body, a microSD card slot, LTE connectivity and easy customization through the replaceable covers. "

Drivel, Anyone who thinks the 8X is a copy of a Lumia device is talking nonsense they don't have the same design/shape they are not manufactured the same way and even the colours are different. Nokia fans would have everyone believe they have patents on polycarbonate & adding colour to a phone other than black/white and going by that way of thinking then you must also think that any phone made of metal and available in black/white must also be a direct copy of each other.

As for Gsmarena we are supposed to take one bad reviews word over pretty much every other review giving it 4/5 out of 5 right...

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
My gf doesn't have a problem with the 900 and I have no trouble with it either.

Simply put, if you don't like the size of a phone, buy a smaller f**king phone and save the griping for yourself. I don't care for this useless griping over which WP8 model is the best.

On the plus side, at least we can all agree that the Ativ is the ugliest and move on with our days :p

My wife had the 900 and didn't mind it. You know why? She never had to carry it in her tight a$$ jean pockets. She has a friggin' purse. lol. Men on the other hand have pants and we rarely have bags to carry these things in. Unless you are gay or metrosexual and carry a man bag or a Murse. lol. No problem with the murse, just not me.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This is my only problem with this forum. People pretend Nokia is god's gift to WP and EVERYBODY should respect and love Nokia OR ELSE WP is nothing!

lol... Fun fact, Spain is the fattest country in the world. (Yeah, that's in Europe ;) )

A voice of reason, oh boy.

D__aww_by_NansCLJC.png

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
That significant processor was upgraded to what HTC already uses. The 8x has wireless charging, and the beats is different in the 8x. The camera is the only thing HTC didn't change. Facts is facts. Nokia finally got their processor, audio, and resolution up to HTCs standards, packing it into the N9 and that's being called innovative? The camera yes, I give them that, everything else is hogwash.

Edit= I was wrong. HTC did in fact tweak the camera. Sorry.

By this rationale, HTC is just using the same Snapdragon S4 that everyone else is using, so they are simply on par with the industry...not any sort of "HTC Standards". Same with 720P resolution. The LG Optimus had it a year ago, long before the One X was ever launched.

I'm not interested in a war between the two brands. I like them both. My first WP phone was the HTC Arrive, and it was a sturday brick that I mostly enjoyed. My wife has an EVO LTE with most of the same specs that are in the 8X. The screen is glorious, and the camera is superfast if a little underwhelming as far as noisy pictures go.

If the 8X had come to Sprint when I was on it, I very well might have stayed and grabbed it. But Sprint doesn't deserve it or any Windows Phone, frankly.

VoltageMX

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Man I realy want to buy the 8X but now with all the reports of reebots and stuf I'm geting a little woried. Previously I had the Lumia 900 and it had the "famous" capacitive buttons isue. It took the official repair service in my country three times to repair that and even after the third time the problem was not totaly gone. And beside that the 900 started rebooting and by that I mean rebooting realy often so that the phone was realy not usable. So I sold it for 300?. I bought it for 520 so i lost some money here but I did not care because I have lost so much nerves with the 900. So because of that i realy do not trust Nokia and its "famous" build qualitiy anymore. Was considering the 920 for some time but when i remembered problems that I had with the 900 it turned me off. Beside that the 920 is expensive as **** here in Slovenia. It's 680?. The 8X is 500?. I do not want to go to android or the gayphone (iphone) :lol: so I realy don't have a lot of choiches here. The 920 is to expensive and I realy don't trust Nokia anymore. And let me ad that I will never again buy Samsung. The Omnia 7 gave me even bigger problems than the 900. So no ATIV S. So my only choice left is the 8X. And it has problmes of its own I see. Well I hope i will have the luck to get one without any problems but chances are slim. In today's capitalistic world things are made so they malfunction quick and you must buy another device. It keeps the money going around right? :cool:

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My wife had the 900 and didn't mind it. You know why? She never had to carry it in her tight a$$ jean pockets. She has a friggin' purse. lol. Men on the other hand have pants and we rarely have bags to carry these things in. Unless you are gay or metrosexual and carry a man bag or a Murse. lol. No problem with the murse, just not me.

I ride a Harley and wear bootcut jeans which are snug. I can easily fit the 900 in a front pocket AND crunch my legs upward to put my feet on the forward controls with no problem so I have no idea what you are complaining about. I doubt I could do the same with a Note

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

OHF7E.gif

Before Nokia almost no one knew or cared about Windows Phone. The dull Samsung's, HTC's and Dell phones sat in the back of the store under a layer of dust.

So yeah.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I ride a Harley and wear bootcut jeans which are snug. I can easily fit the 900 in a front pocket AND crunch my legs upward to put my feet on the forward controls with no problem so I have no idea what you are complaining about. I doubt I could do the same with a Note

You could but the Note's cheap thin crap plastic would flex and bust the screen.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

Before Nokia almost no one knew or cared about Windows Phone. The dull Samsung's, HTC's and Dell phones sat in the back of the store under a layer of dust.

So yeah.

So are you saying that if Windows phone fails then it all rests on the shoulders of the ALMIGHT NOKIA? Good luck with that. They aren't apple. They don't have the same business model or hardware or the tech credit. Nokia was so yesterday as the top of tech times goes. It would seem that Nokia and HTC would have a symbiotic relationship because I honestly think they need to feed off each other. Now if only HTC could lower their prices lol.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

So yeah.

That's strange because I knew a few people who had a Focus, Quantum, and HD7 long before Nokia even entered the picture.

The L900 was just the first that was extrememly advertized and it was Nokia which has tons of fans all over the world. It got westerner's excited because they remembered their old Nokias. Also AT&T did advertize it well.

Has nothing to do with just Nokia being Nokia and all they had to do was make a WP device. There were LOTS of other factors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs