Isn't the HTC 8X the best WP8 device afterall?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Could be. But on the flip side, the reason carriers are pushing WP because of the high cost of subsidizing iPhones (which sell well). I cannot imagine AT&T is willing to subsidize 920s and lots of freebies plus have a big ad campaign, unless Nokia is selling them for well under what Apple charges.

Well iPhone mark-up is about 350%, so Nokia has plenty of margin to play with to undercut Apple without selling at a loss.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
well. I think this depends on the people. if people are concerned about weight and love music then 8X if people like the features of the 920 then go there

I'm a music lover that feels Dolby Audio>Beats any day of the week. The 8X only has form factor and pixel density as advantages in my mind...

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well iPhone mark-up is about 350%, so Nokia has plenty of margin to play with to undercut Apple without selling at a loss.

Where Nokia mess up was the carrier exclusivity. They could have really made a killing on Verizon along with other carriers in the USA. I wonder what types of deals were being made to make that happen.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the 8X today, arriving tomorrow morning (Amazon Prime ftw!). I just got sick and tired of waiting for the 920. I want a sim free device, that will work with any sim card i put into it. I don't want to pay ludicrous prices on contract with EE, especially considering i don't live in a place that will be getting 4G coverage any time soon. My 3G coverage is crap as it is.

Even the sim free models sold at Phones4U are locked to Orange/T-Mobile, and that's only the black model. Not good enough. Windows phone is about colour, yet people can only buy the Black/White Lumia 920 over here. I think Nokia will lose a heck of a lot of potential customers (Me included) to the 8X or Ativ S for exactly these reasons: EE exclusivity, only 2 boring colour options, ridiculously overpriced, time it's taking to get to market.

I went for the blue 8X and i can't wait. I'll do a review on my youtube channel after i've had the phone for a few days and i'll post that here incase anyone wants to see. If you have any questions about the device, PM me and i'll be more than happy to answer them.

Nokia, you ruined your chances of being a force, you sold out to AT&T and EE. You've lost my custom, and the worst thing is..... You don't seem to care.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Here's my question... I was pretty much sold on the 8x, but looking at them both in the ATT store and the 8x only at a Best Buy, it seems like the screen is much dimmer than the 920, and even dimmer than my Trophy. This doesn't seem possible.

I saw it at Best Buy first and compared it to my Trophy... seemed dimmer. But the accent colors were different, so I thought maybe that was why.

Then at AT&T, I compared them side-by-side (8x vs 920). Looking at their Uverse app Tile, it was clearly much dimmer on the 8x. And the blacks actually looked less black on the 8x to boot.

Has anyone else noticed this? I don't want a dim screen...

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's my question... I was pretty much sold on the 8x, but looking at them both in the ATT store and the 8x only at a Best Buy, it seems like the screen is much dimmer than the 920, and even dimmer than my Trophy. This doesn't seem possible.

I saw it at Best Buy first and compared it to my Trophy... seemed dimmer. But the accent colors were different, so I thought maybe that was why.

Then at AT&T, I compared them side-by-side (8x vs 920). Looking at their Uverse app Tile, it was clearly much dimmer on the 8x. And the blacks actually looked less black on the 8x to boot.

Was it set to auto or low brightness ?

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the 8X today, arriving tomorrow morning (Amazon Prime ftw!). I just got sick and tired of waiting for the 920. I want a sim free device, that will work with any sim card i put into it. I don't want to pay ludicrous prices on contract with EE, especially considering i don't live in a place that will be getting 4G coverage any time soon. My 3G coverage is crap as it is.

Even the sim free models sold at Phones4U are locked to Orange/T-Mobile, and that's only the black model. Not good enough. Windows phone is about colour, yet people can only buy the Black/White Lumia 920 over here. I think Nokia will lose a heck of a lot of potential customers (Me included) to the 8X or Ativ S for exactly these reasons: EE exclusivity, only 2 boring colour options, ridiculously overpriced, time it's taking to get to market.

I went for the blue 8X and i can't wait. I'll do a review on my youtube channel after i've had the phone for a few days and i'll post that here incase anyone wants to see. If you have any questions about the device, PM me and i'll be more than happy to answer them.

Nokia, you ruined your chances of being a force, you sold out to AT&T and EE. You've lost my custom, and the worst thing is..... You don't seem to care.

Congratulations man,

How much Free storage of the 16GB you get out of the box ? I got almost 12GB of my Atrix's 16GB

Thanks

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
By this rationale, HTC is just using the same Snapdragon S4 that everyone else is using, so they are simply on par with the industry...not any sort of "HTC Standards". Same with 720P resolution. The LG Optimus had it a year ago, long before the One X was ever launched.

Also the HTC ReZound had a 720p screen, I think it came out about 5 months before the One X

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Before you decide, check em again, but check the brightness on the 8X first, a few months ago I played with a Motorola RAZR at a store, everyone kept complaining on how dim the screen, only to find out the brightness was set to lowest !

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Its a manner of a personal preferences fellas
Both the 8X & the Lumia 920 are great phones & you guys should pick whatever you like more, fits your need & works out for you !! Whether it was Htc or Nokia !

Personally though, I like the yellow 8X a lot & I hope I buy one around January\February !
Don't get me wrong, the lumia 920 is a great phone , it just didn't wow me like the Lumia 800 & the 8X , while its packing all kinds of features, I'm meh about em, but that doesn't mean it's trash, I'm sure it will become handy for other people !

A couple of examples :
- the super sensitive screen is great for people who wear gloves in the winter, but I live in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia & its always summer 24/7 Three Six Five , so I don't wear gloves.

- Nokia Maps is great, I've used it before in my nokia E75, but I don't use Maps a lot, I may look up a street or something, but thats it. transit is probably a US\Europe only :/

- Wireless Charging is also a great feature if the pad is included, i'm okay with plugs, I've been plugin my phones for the past 10 years :)

What I like the most about the lumia 920 is the 32GB storage & I used to think its a big deal for me ... until I got a 32GB card for my Atrix , I still got over half of it empty, the same with my Xoom !

Quick question : How much free storage does the 8X have outta the box? thanks

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Its a manner of a personal preferences fellas
Both the 8X & the Lumia 920 are great phones & you guys should pick whatever you like more, fits your need & works out for you !! Whether it was Htc or Nokia !

Personally though, I like the yellow 8X a lot & I hope I buy one around January\February !
Don't get me wrong, the lumia 920 is a great phone , it just didn't wow me like the Lumia 800 & the 8X , while its packing all kinds of features, I'm meh about em, but that doesn't mean it's trash, I'm sure it will become handy for other people !

A couple of examples :
- the super sensitive screen is great for people who wear gloves in the winter, but I live in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia & its always summer 24/7 Three Six Five , so I don't wear gloves.

- Nokia Maps is great, I've used it before in my nokia E75, but I don't use Maps a lot, I may look up a street or something, but thats it. transit is probably a US\Europe only :/

- Wireless Charging is also a great feature if the pad is included, i'm okay with plugs, I've been plugin my phones for the past 10 years :)

What I like the most about the lumia 920 is the 32GB storage & I used to think its a big deal for me ... until I got a 32GB card for my Atrix , I still got over half of it empty, the same with my Xoom !

Quick question : How much free storage does the 8X have outta the box? thanks

Word on the street is 14.58 gb. More than on my one x.

Last edited:

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I went with the 920, but the 8X is an awesome phone as well. It felt good in the hand, and the screen was vivid, which makes me wonder if the above poster ran into one where someone had tinkered with the settings. The deciding factor for me was I could get the 920 cheaper, and my focus flash was dying. But by no means would I snub an 8X.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I went with the 920, but the 8X is an awesome phone as well. It felt good in the hand, and the screen was vivid, which makes me wonder if the above poster ran into one where someone had tinkered with the settings. The deciding factor for me was I could get the 920 cheaper, and my focus flash was dying. But by no means would I snub an 8X.

So many people would snub an 8x, but not me. My wife has the 920. Nice phone, great phone, but not my style. The 8x is more me. If only that fit a bigger screen into that bezel.

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Word on the street is 14.58 gb. More than on my one x.

Awesome !!!!
That's the same amount of free space i'd in the 16GB I bought for my Xoom (not any more ;) lol) , looks like Microsoft made the oems put a separate chip for the OS ... like what they did with the WP7 phones, as I recall you can open the HD7 & replace the SD Card with a higher capacity.

Thank you dude, much appreciated :)

Btw, I love your Snake's picture ! Its always nice to meet another Metal Gear Solid fan :)

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I just went by Best Buy and they had an 8x you could play with. OMG I loved it!! Now if only T-Mobile could release theirs. Rep said she could order me one for Tmobile that could be delivered Wednesday. I didn't believe her..lol, so didn't. But it was my first Windows phone to play with and it felt so smooth operation wise..loved it!! Bye Android!

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I got a 920 on Friday and just checked out the 8X, and I'm probably going to switch over. The screen on the 920 was definitely better (brighter at each setting, better white and black levels, extra 48 pixels, smoother scroll/ refresh), but the 8X felt like it was half the weight and thickness. I mean the 8X felt amazing in hand, like I was holding an ipod touch or something. I'm going to think about it for a few days, because there are a lot of pros and cons to each one, but it's nice to have such good phones to choose from.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234