Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    So, I've had it for 4 days so it's about time I dropped the HTC 8X. (I'm quite clumsy).

It's all fine, except a small scratch on the top left of the phone.

The result is that the 'skin' has started to peel.

Sort of like when you get sun burn.

It seems that there is a glossy plastic under a matte skin.

I'll upload a picture when I can get to wifi (took it with the ipad)

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Here's a really bad picture of it.

http://i.imgur.com/Nyivy.jpg
    Banned

WTF?

That's unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by ajorourke View Post
    Here's a really bad picture of it.

http://i.imgur.com/Nyivy.jpg
    That pic cracked me up for some reason, although I do feel sorry that you damaged your new phone.

That's no good

You might call me mental - but i dropped my 8X screen down after a war of words with an iphone user just to prove that i could do it without a scratch appearing. No scratch and he refused to drop his after mine bounced and came back pristine. Ended the arguement and he bought me lunch.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    What the &%$#? That's very sleazy HTC lol.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    What the &%$#? That's very sleazy HTC lol.
    Nah, the soft touch finish on the phone is just a coating. All "rubberized soft touch" plastic is done this way. It's what makes it feel so good to the touch... Just be careful with it.
    hipporama likes this.

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Might look even better without it haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    You might call me mental - but i dropped my 8X screen down after a war of words with an iphone user just to prove that i could do it without a scratch appearing. No scratch and he refused to drop his after mine bounced and came back pristine. Ended the arguement and he bought me lunch.
    You crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    You crazy!
    Yeah quite possibly although i once drop kicked my old HTC HD7. 5ft drop followed by me trying to catch it, failing then kicking it across the hallway into a skirting board. Not a single scratch on it then. Kinda gives me faith in HTC build quality.

I think you might be mental. ;)

You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)

I drop my hd7 couple of times still work like a champ. Last year my little nephew spilt is soda on it and nothing happened to it.

HTC 8x for me I wanted a lumia but im stuck with t mobile

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    It fell and slid a bit on a wooden floor. It was something that I did with my Samsung Galaxy S3 and that came back with a dent. This is a bit better than a dent. It's still a bit rubbish considering the lumia 800 had a few falls and didn't have any marks like this.

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BotanicalStig View Post
    Nah, the soft touch finish on the phone is just a coating. All "rubberized soft touch" plastic is done this way. It's what makes it feel so good to the touch... Just be careful with it.
    Exactly. Everyone is gaga over these soft touch finishes but you really have to be careful with them.

All the corners of my HD7 had dimples after a few tumbles. One drop did help get the camera going again though!

Re the skin on the 8X it does feel like it could wear and get shiney around the corners after a while. Will have to watch that...

Global Posts
    1,622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Exactly. Everyone is gaga over these soft touch finishes but you really have to be careful with them.
    If it's done correctly I think they will last. I had a Samsung d600 a million years ago that had that soft texture back, it lasted without peeling for 2 years. No case, in and out of pockets, waiter aprons, etc. Trust me, a restaurant is a bad place for a delicate phone.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Yeah quite possibly although i once drop kicked my old HTC HD7. 5ft drop followed by me trying to catch it, failing then kicking it across the hallway into a skirting board. Not a single scratch on it then. Kinda gives me faith in HTC build quality.
    So the HTC Mozart really is the worst HTC WP device. I dropped it several times, and now it looks like S#&T. A lot of scratches, and material "bending" of some kind... despite aluminum and ceramic materials... or whatever they used for the Mozart casing.

I have other friends with HTC devices, and they're all very disappointed with the build quality of their devices. Another reason why I'll probably buy a Lumia 920

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I have one of those hard rubber cases for me Optimus and one day I was on the beach, the cover took quite a bit of sand in but I kept using the phone anyway. When I took the cover out, it look like it was attacked by a wolverine. Shiny scratches every where, now it looks like a precious jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by sanki View Post
    So the HTC Mozart really is the worst HTC WP device. I dropped it several times, and now it looks like S#&T. A lot of scratches, and material "bending" of some kind... despite aluminum and ceramic materials... or whatever they used for the Mozart casing.

I have other friends with HTC devices, and they're all very disappointed with the build quality of their devices. Another reason why I'll probably buy a Lumia 920
    My HD7 took 2 years of abuse including being handled by my baby girl on a daily basis and the only thing wrong with it is the metal HTC letters have fallen off the back cover and the picture button has got a lot of travel on it. My little girl is now 3 and im about to wipe it and give it to her to play games on.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
    If it's done correctly I think they will last. I had a Samsung d600 a million years ago that had that soft texture back, it lasted without peeling for 2 years. No case, in and out of pockets, waiter aprons, etc. Trust me, a restaurant is a bad place for a delicate phone.
    my car has soft touch finishes on the handles and some console areas.

it doesn't last. they stopped using it actually because of all the complaints.

i think one of the things that breaks them down are lotions and oils on the hand

Well, unfortunately it sounds like a protective case is necessary for this phone. I was really hoping it would be durable enough to not need one. Dang.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strokee View Post
    Well, unfortunately it sounds like a protective case is necessary for this phone. I was really hoping it would be durable enough to not need one. Dang.
    yeah that's why i'm not a huge fan of unibody designs. i rather replace my phone's enclosure every 6 months or so than go around with a bulky case or a piece of plastic that peels up and gets dirty around the edges.

Same issue with my HTC 8x ! And the skin peeling seems to increasing with time. Glossy finish under that also does seem nice! Has anyone tried peeling off the skin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast