Sounds like many issues with HTC 8X

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/402570/20121107/htc-windows-phone-8x-review.htm

It's just before the "hardware and connectivity" section. The review also says the phone rebooted 3 times in a week, the battery life wasn't very good and the phone got really hot.

Ah there it is, thanks. I'm starting to feel lucky that My 8X is flawless so far.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Ah there it is, thanks. I'm starting to feel lucky that My 8X is flawless so far.

There's no reason to feel lucky. Nokia fanboys are just spreading a few issues that "some" have had as flaws every 8X is going to get. Really they should just enjoy their Nokias...

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Read the forums, sparky. There are a bunch of people reporting hands-on issues.

Obviously because they have the phone I wasn't talking about them....

The 920 has issues as well but since I don't own a 920 I don't feel the sad need to go over to that thread and write something that I have no first hand experience of.

So a few people with issues means that every single phone has poor build quality? Well in that case good luck with your Nokia as well ;).

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Obviously because they have the phone I wasn't talking about them....

The 920 has issues as well but since I don't own a 920 I don't feel the sad need to go over to that thread and write something that I have no first hand experience of.

So a few people with issues means that every single phone has poor build quality? Well in that case good luck with your Nokia as well ;).

So, in your world, one is only allowed to talk about a possible flaw if they own the device and have experienced the flaw themselves? I've seen very little ****** snarkiness in this thread and a lot of concern for the possible validity of the issue, and seeking insight from others, you know, so that people are aware that the problems may exist before making an uninformed purchase

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
So, in your world, one is only allowed to talk about a possible flaw if they own the device and have experienced the flaw themselves? I've seen very little ****** snarkiness in this thread and a lot of concern for the possible validity of the issue, and seeking insight from others, you know, so that people are aware that the problems may exist before making an uninformed purchase

Do you want people who own the phone or people who don't own the phone to tell you if there's anything wrong with it....Exactly.

Its not "my world" it's pretty obvious if I was too listen to all the people on the internet who were complaining about something without even knowing what its like because they hadn't actually tried it then I wouldn't end up buying anything.

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you want people who own the phone or people who don't own the phone to tell you if there's anything wrong with it....Exactly.

Its not "my world" it's pretty obvious if I was too listen to all the people on the internet who were complaining about something without even knowing what its like because they hadn't actually tried it then I wouldn't end up buying anything.

I want both. I want first person testimonials, even ones that indicate they don't have issues. I want interested third parties who have insight and thoughts related to the issue, who might even pass along articles that support or rebuff the claims. Lack of ownership should not exclude one from contributing to the discussion.

TheBish0p

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Unlike most people writing bad things about it here, I actually own the HTC 8X. I can confirm that in a dark room, you see light leaking from the touch buttons out through the microUSB port, but other than that, no issues whatsoever.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so thought i would chime in now ive had the phone a full week and put it through some heavy use. The phone reboots have now stopped havent had one for 3 days, i havent removed any apps as some have been doing but since the xbox music and htc app updates everything is fine. Ive dropped the phone twice. Once on purpose screen down onto concrete and have also had it in my lap forgot about it being there and had it slide across the floor. On both occaisions ive managed to get away without a scratch to the screen or the blue coating. I have also not had any light leaking from the mini usb at the bottom of the phone.
I cannot leave this phone alone so its hardly ever out of my hand it feels great and have never seen a phone with a screen that is this sharp, those live tiles really pop on the 8X. Its a perfect size to be used with one hand, the beats audio makes a huge difference to the sound quality, the front camera is amazing for a 2.1 megapixel the wide angle shots are brilliant. I cannot find fault with this phone anywhere. The battery life is standard i can get a days heavy use out of it and leave it to charge overnight and havent had any overheating either. I can honestly say you couldnt give me a 920 to make me give up my 8X

Addition - Just read this back after posting - didnt realise i'd become an 8X ******.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so thought i would chime in now ive had the phone a full week and put it through some heavy use. The phone reboots have now stopped havent had one for 3 days, i havent removed any apps as some have been doing but since the xbox music and htc app updates everything is fine. Ive dropped the phone twice. Once on purpose screen down onto concrete and have also had it in my lap forgot about it being there and had it slide across the floor. On both occaisions ive managed to get away without a scratch to the screen or the blue coating. I have also not had any light leaking from the mini usb at the bottom of the phone.
I cannot leave this phone alone so its hardly ever out of my hand it feels great and have never seen a phone with a screen that is this sharp, those live tiles really pop on the 8X. Its a perfect size to be used with one hand, the beats audio makes a huge difference to the sound quality, the front camera is amazing for a 2.1 megapixel the wide angle shots are brilliant. I cannot find fault with this phone anywhere. The battery life is standard i can get a days heavy use out of it and leave it to charge overnight and havent had any overheating either. I can honestly say you couldnt give me a 920 to make me give up my 8X

Addition - Just read this back after posting - didnt realise i'd become an 8X ******.

Thats great to hear! LOL don't worry I didn't think you sounded like a ******. We have enough Nokia fanboys around here it's refreshing to see some love for a different brand.

I still think I will get the 822 on VZW though mostly because battery life is important and it's pretty much a fact that the 822 has much better battery life (even though they have the same 1800 mAh battery).

VZW rates the L822 at 15.07 hours of talk time and 20.25 days of standby.
The 8x is at 15.0 hours of talk time and 12.5 days of standby.

That's almost twice the power usage when idle for the 8x.

Outside of battery, screen, branding, camera and form-factor the two phones have almost identical specs. I really wanted the 8X and I still believe it's a better looking phone but for me the praticallity lies with the 822.

Again though, refreshing to hear that you aren't having any issues!

Last edited:

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
All these issues along with the not-so-great battery life I have finally decided I am getting the 822.
Just be sure to check the 822 forums for a bunch of people who do and do not own the phone discussing its problems. ;)

For the record (for the thread - not aimed at just you), I have an 8X in perfect working order. No faults or issues at all. If I had to pick something I didn't like, I'd say the power button (I'd prefer it in the side) but I'm only saying that because I can't think of anything else.

Great phone so far.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Well for starters I really miss street view but my biggest feature request is the ability to lookup an address on my desktop, star it in Google maps and then magically have that location saved on my phone.

Oh, and turn by turn navigation while on foot combined with local transit.

Looks like Microsoft has some work to do.

You bought the wrong phone... Every Lumia has those.

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You bought the wrong phone... Every Lumia has those.

My comment is to show that Microsoft has catching up to do. Mapping and Navigation should be up to the OS and not the OEM.

I bought the wrong phone? No, I bought the phone which was most attractive, comfortable to use and open to any network so that I could experience WP8.

I think that my time on this forum is up. You can't make a move without the Nokia fans blasting you. You are alienating an already small community with this foolish infighting.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My comment is to show that Microsoft has catching up to do. Mapping and Navigation should be up to the OS and not the OEM.

I bought the wrong phone? No, I bought the phone which was most attractive, comfortable to use and open to any network so that I could experience WP8.

I think that my time on this forum is up. You can't make a move without the Nokia fans blasting you. You are alienating an already small community with this foolish infighting.

Dont leave. None of the Nokia fanboys have actually got the 920's yet. Youve got to at least stick around and have a bit of a giggle at thier expense when the problems with my 920 discussions start going up.

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Dont leave. None of the Nokia fanboys have actually got the 920's yet. Youve got to at least stick around and have a bit of a giggle at thier expense when the problems with my 920 discussions start going up.

If previous Nokia experience of mine is any indication - there will be tons of glitches and bugs and promises to fix them ASAP. Months later there will be a few fixes which kinda fix some issues but the rest will forever remain.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thats great to hear! LOL don't worry I didn't think you sounded like a ******. We have enough Nokia fanboys around here it's refreshing to see some love for a different brand.

I still think I will get the 822 on VZW though mostly because battery life is important and it's pretty much a fact that the 822 has much better battery life (even though they have the same 1800 mAh battery).

VZW rates the L822 at 15.07 hours of talk time and 20.25 days of standby.
The 8x is at 15.0 hours of talk time and 12.5 days of standby.

That's almost twice the power usage when idle for the 8x.

Outside of battery, screen, branding, camera and form-factor the two phones have almost identical specs. I really wanted the 8X and I still believe it's a better looking phone but for me the praticallity lies with the 822.

Again though, refreshing to hear that you aren't having any issues!

exactly why ive always said the 822 is better than the 8x ill settle for the lower res screen but everything else 822 does better. Better battery life, microsd slot, better camera, nokia support....why would anyone want a phone limited to 16 gbs

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've seen very little ****** snarkiness in this thread and a lot of concern for the possible validity of the issue, and seeking insight from others, you know, so that people are aware that the problems may exist before making an uninformed purchase

I wouldn't say that. Right now, the most frequent poster both to this subgroup and to the forums at large is an iPhone 5 user who is "just SOOOOO concerned" about reports of the 8X's problems.

I'm sure it grows out of his abundance of love for Windows Phone users and his concern that they might not be getting the optimal Modern UI experience... :D

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

That's pretty much my experience with this phone as well, Apart from dropping it I have not done that yet and plan not too lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss