8x Memory (16GB)

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone since Saturday, and there are a few issues that are currently just niggles but will soon become annoyances (reboots, kindle not working, spotify not being available).

However I just wanted to give you all an idea of how much the hard drive is an issue (if at all).

I have the following things using the storage
Music + Videos 2.98GB (7 albums and I assume some videos I recorded on the phone)

Pictures 172.93 MB (220 pictures)

Apps 1.71 GB (Amazon Kindle, Amazon Mobile, BBC News Mobile, Board Express, Buses Due, CamWow, CNN, ConnectivityShortcuts, Converter, Facebook, fhotoroom, flash Videos, Flashlight, Flixter, HTC, IMDB, imgur uploader, jack of goggles, linkedin, Metro, Netflix, News N7, PDF Reader, Photo Enhancer, Photo Enhancer, rowi, SBUX Card, ScanSearch, Shazam, Tube Map, VirginTrain Tickets, Weave News Reader, Whatsapp, Wikipedia, Wikitude, WPCentral, Youtube) +Games (Angry Birds Space, Crimson Dragon, Doodle Jump, Max & the magic marker, minesweep, rocket riot, soduku, tentacles, xbox smartglass)

Other 2.35GB (No idea what this is for, maybe Games?)
System 2.4GB

Free Space 4.95GB

I'm not worried about this, but it does mean not having more of my music on the device.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
That last 5gig won't survive two more years of use. 32gig is minimum with today's OS and I would prefer 64gig. I don't like having to worry about removing media so I can add other media. Every phone should come with a microsd slot. Cards are cheap and I have no lag issues what so ever with BlackBerry or Android using 32gig cards.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This guy right here. There are far too many places around where I live with iffy signal. Local storage all the way.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
who needs music on a phone when you can stream it?

You ever try streaming in a health club? In my market the two dominate health clubs makes getting useful download speeds...unlikely. We are talking about .5mbps-.750mbps.

I am sure there are other areas where download speeds are iffy...think about driving 30+ miles to work and back.

cloud storage is only useful as the data connection. Thats why Nokia offering downloadable street maps are sooo useful

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
who needs music on a phone when you can stream it?

Music quality is weak when you are demanding at least 320kbps MP3 or preferably lossless.

Also the real question is why would you want to pay for streaming or use more of your connection if you already have big music library on computer?

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, I prefer it locally stored, it means that when I go underground (I live in London so travel on the underground every day) I still have music.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This guy right here. There are far too many places around where I live with iffy signal. Local storage all the way.

Agree wholeheartedly. I still have, and love, my Zune 32G which I use as my media device i.e. music, episodes of Archer(all of them) for this reason exactly. My phone has some music files, playlists mostly as a backup device if I don't have my Zune with me. I still really am leaning hard towards a Limelight 8X tho.

Thanks

-Doc

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I prefer locally stored music as well. It loads faster, sounds better, doesn't use up data (and also doesn't have to depend on having a strong signal), and uses less battery. All Windows Phones should have microSD card slots.

aznguyen316

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
...those problems still exist? o_O

I work in a hospital where the signal gets destroyed for whatever reason. Step outside and everything is great 20Mbps. Fortunately there is WiFi available, but I much prefer local storage for music as I'm a 320kbps listener and would rather not deal with signing in to public wifi constantly and hiccups that accompany streaming music.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
That last 5gig won't survive two more years of use. 32gig is minimum with today's OS and I would prefer 64gig. I don't like having to worry about removing media so I can add other media. Every phone should come with a microsd slot. Cards are cheap and I have no lag issues what so ever with BlackBerry or Android using 32gig cards.

Hmmm I disagree. I had 16GB on my Arrive, GSIII, and iP4S and never came close to filling it. I went ahead and got the 32GB iP5 and I have over 18GB free. My app count is over 20, and I have 5 games, and about 12 albums. More entertainment than I would ever need.

Some people don't NEED more than 16.

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll be fine with 16gb as long as they sort out spotify on WP8, my biggest annoyance so far is that being inexplicably pulled. I have a playlist of about 400 songs which I download to the device and that will do me fine.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone since Saturday, and there are a few issues that are currently just niggles but will soon become annoyances (reboots, kindle not working, spotify not being available).

However I just wanted to give you all an idea of how much the hard drive is an issue (if at all).

I have the following things using the storage
Music + Videos 2.98GB (7 albums and I assume some videos I recorded on the phone)

Pictures 172.93 MB (220 pictures)

Apps 1.71 GB (Amazon Kindle, Amazon Mobile, BBC News Mobile, Board Express, Buses Due, CamWow, CNN, ConnectivityShortcuts, Converter, Facebook, fhotoroom, flash Videos, Flashlight, Flixter, HTC, IMDB, imgur uploader, jack of goggles, linkedin, Metro, Netflix, News N7, PDF Reader, Photo Enhancer, Photo Enhancer, rowi, SBUX Card, ScanSearch, Shazam, Tube Map, VirginTrain Tickets, Weave News Reader, Whatsapp, Wikipedia, Wikitude, WPCentral, Youtube) +Games (Angry Birds Space, Crimson Dragon, Doodle Jump, Max & the magic marker, minesweep, rocket riot, soduku, tentacles, xbox smartglass)

Other 2.35GB (No idea what this is for, maybe Games?)
System 2.4GB

Free Space 4.95GB

I'm not worried about this, but it does mean not having more of my music on the device.

I just checked mine and ive got slightly different figues but 3gb more than you. My system is sitting on 2.08 - what i have started doing though is trimming back my music to just the tracks i want - dont think i own a single album where i like every track on there and ive started cherrypicking my favourite tracks from the albums which has started saving me a fair bit of room.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999