8X Questions

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I plan on ordering the 8X tonight on Verizon but have a few last minute questions:

Does the 8X have Nokia Drive? Does this have voice guided navigation?

Does WP8 have a voice to text feature or any other voice features like Siri? In the past I believe I heard about audible but never heard anything else. When I had WP7 when I had Bluetooth connected and received a text it would read me the text in my ear and give me the option to reply. Does WP88 have this?

Just how strong is Gorilla Glass 2?

Thanks for all the help.

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey thatotherdude -- the other guys can help me if I'm wrong here but...

*NO Nokia Drive on the 8X -- that's strictly for Nokia-branded phones
*WP8 DOES have voice-guided features
*Gorilla Glass 2 will be EXTREMELY strong. I'd say it'd be solid enough to use the phone WITHOUT a screen protector (I NEVER WOULD THOUGH!) but that's just my OCD! But yes, GG2 is a strong material!

Hope I helped!

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes but I wanna say u have to tap it each time u make a turn for some odd reason. Some kind of copyright thing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
*NO Nokia Drive on the 8X -- that's strictly for Nokia-branded phones
Fortunately, that's wrong. Nokia will be making their Nokia Drive app available to all partners (which includes HTC), but it is at HTC's discretion when and how they make it available. HTC does have their own navigation app, although I hear it isn't really good (no personal experience though, so I couldn't say if that's true). Nokia phones will have something called "Nokia Drive +" with their own exclusive features.

I actually thought I read somewhere that Microsoft REMOVED the built-in voice navigation that required you to tap on each direction before it was read (I've seen that in person on an HD7, and it looks painfully annoying. How can you be hands free?). I disagree with their decision to remove since it actually reads street names where Nokia Drive doesn't, and having options is a good thing, but I digress. Aside from Nokia Drive (coming later), WP8 should still have navigation services built in, but without voice if what I read is correct.

WP8 will still be able to read your texts to you like in WP7. You'll also [still] be able to compose texts by voice, and they added the ability to add multiple sentences via voice (don't remember how this is done). Their closest Siri-like feature would be TellMe, where you issue commands to the phone (i.e. Search business name, Call so and so, etc), and app developers can incorporate text commands into their apps as well, and you can open apps with your voice, too.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Fortunately, that's wrong. Nokia will be making their Nokia Drive app available to all partners (which includes HTC), but it is at HTC's discretion when and how they make it available. HTC does have their own navigation app, although I hear it isn't really good (no personal experience though, so I couldn't say if that's true). Nokia phones will have something called "Nokia Drive +" with their own exclusive features.

I actually thought I read somewhere that Microsoft REMOVED the built-in voice navigation that required you to tap on each direction before it was read (I've seen that in person on an HD7, and it looks painfully annoying. How can you be hands free?). I disagree with their decision to remove since it actually reads street names where Nokia Drive doesn't, and having options is a good thing, but I digress. Aside from Nokia Drive (coming later), WP8 should still have navigation services built in, but without voice if what I read is correct.

WP8 will still be able to read your texts to you like in WP7. You'll also [still] be able to compose texts by voice, and they added the ability to add multiple sentences via voice (don't remember how this is done). Their closest Siri-like feature would be TellMe, where you issue commands to the phone (i.e. Search business name, Call so and so, etc), and app developers can incorporate text commands into their apps as well, and you can open apps with your voice, too.

Then what's audible? I remember hearing about it when WP8 was first announced

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Then what's audible? I remember hearing about it when WP8 was first announced
Audible is an app that reads audio books to you. It was demonstrated during the WP8 Developer Summit because it's the first app to also incorporate in-app voice commands (i.e. You can tell WP8 to launch Audible. Then you can tell Audible to read Moby Dick. You can also tell it to stop reading and whatever else it supports.)

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Audible is an app that reads audio books to you. It was demonstrated during the WP8 Developer Summit because it's the first app to also incorporate in-app voice commands (i.e. You can tell WP8 to launch Audible. Then you can tell Audible to read Moby Dick. You can also tell it to stop reading and whatever else it supports.)

That makes sense...how do you activate TellMe?

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Drive IS coming to all WP8 devices, just when don't know when!

Nokia Drive+ is for Lumia phones, and Nokia Drive is for WP8 phones. Again, we don't know WHEN.

People around say that HTC has to pay Nokia to adopt it? I don't know how it works...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you have TellMe text people by doing that?
Sure can. Just say "Text <contact name>" and it will respond "Texting <contact name>" and then "Say your message". It will repeat it back to you and if you like it you can say "Send". You can then say "Try again" to recompose. I am going off memory so the options may be slightly different.

I'm very interested in figuring out how to add other sentences :D

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I havent used a screen protector on any of my phones for over 2 years. Never had a scratch.

But if you throw it in a pocket with keys and such yeah... get one.

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The speak your text thing works really well over Bluetooth in the car. You can set the phone to announce text messages as they arrive, it then asks you if you would like the text read out, it then asks you if you would like to reply etc., really cool, all completely hands free.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The speak your text thing works really well over Bluetooth in the car. You can set the phone to announce text messages as they arrive, it then asks you if you would like the text read out, it then asks you if you would like to reply etc., really cool, all completely hands free.

It does this on WP8? How accurate is the speech to text?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster