USB Audio Out

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I thought i remembered reading a while back that WP8 would support USB Audio Out. Can anyone with device confirm this?

Mine is on the way... i think .. stupid Verizon preorder...

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You can use the headphone connector to output audio. Do you want to connect your phone to a USB port in a car audio system via USB?

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering about that too, is it possible to connect it to a car's audio system via USB & get audio out of it , instead of AUX ?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering about that too, is it possible to connect it to a car's audio system via USB & get audio out of it , instead of AUX ?
Yes, its possible with the media interface in my Mercedes. Building a track list is extremely slow though (I have a few gigs of music on my phone).

Other in-car systems might well work better. But I can confirm that the phone shows up, will charge via the usb cable, and will play audio via the same usb.

media interface by o Aperture o, on Flickr

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks man! I have USB cables carefully wired in my car now from my S3, and wanted to know if I could use the same setup. Your post gives me hope :D

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
did wp7 support usb audio? my car supports it, but it never worked with my windows phone. i don't expect it to work with wp8 either unless 7 never support it at all.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks man! I have USB cables carefully wired in my car now from my S3, and wanted to know if I could use the same setup. Your post gives me hope :D

Don't thank me before you try it. The interface for me in my car (late model Mercedes) was unusably slow. I've done enough here to prove that the phone is recognised by the car and audio flows out through the usb lead. I'd never use this method to listen to music

Your mileage may vary with other manufacturers though.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Im picking mine up at 6 tonight..... which is interesting since i preordered on day 1 haha. But thats neither here nor there. Ill get the device tonight and post results for USB Audio.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
i dont know... generally i see with newer phones the support for legacy devices become less and less. for example, the old iphones work on my car fine, but the newer ones do not

One thing people forget to do is upgrade the stereo firmware which fixes bugs and adds support for new features, so look at that option as well.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Results are in..

M stereo recognized music stored on my phone - like a mass storage device. I

It does not work with streaming music through Xbox Music,Pandora,Slacker,etc.

John Shen

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920, it worked for the first time when it connected to my 2013 BMW, it showed up as Lumia 920 and the music is coming out from Car audio system with USB. Strange enough, right after that, I was never able to make it work again. The device (phone) will still show up and recognized as Lumia 920, and the phone will still be charged, then no songs can be seen in the car system. Not sure if I changed anything in Nokia Music?

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Results are in..

M stereo recognized music stored on my phone - like a mass storage device. I

It does not work with streaming music through Xbox Music,Pandora,Slacker,etc.

disappointing, especially considering the 8x is stuck with 16gb. if android and iphone can do it, why can't windows phone?

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
hmm. Not sure i understand. Can you break it down a bit more for me? I have multiple amps in my car and they play very well together. Just no streaming via USB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes