Verizon users.

zxphenomenalxz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey just wanted to get some opinions. I plan on picking up the 8X when it's released In stores and just curious. Are most of you settling because its the best windows phone for Verizon or do you truly want the 8X ? I played with AT&T version and I love size of it and really have no complaints on it other than the memory. 16gb doesn't seem much but I realized most of my memory is consumed by music. For current windows phone users is there an alternative to google music on windows phone.? I'm coming from android and although I had a trophy In way beginning it was a work phone and I never used it like I did my personal so I don't quite know what similar features it offers that I have benefit with android.

alterbridge86

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I placed my preorder on Thursday for the 8X primarily because it was the best (I suppose that's subjective, but for my needs it handily beats the 822) coming to Verizon for the time being. However, Friday my friend and I went to the mall and checked out the 8X in person - it blew me away. I absolutely fell in love with the device and can not wait for it to get here. I too am coming from Android (Galaxy Nexus), by the way.

As for music, WP8 (along with Windows 8 and Xbox) now share the Xbox Music platform. This provides you a few things, that will make it not only comparable to Google Music but surpasses Google Music in functionality. For starters, Xbox Music has free, unlimited music streaming out of the box. This is ad supported, so every couple of songs you'll hear a 30 second ad or whatever. Alternatively you can pay $99/year or $9.99/month and get an Xbox Music Pass. This provides you the same streaming service but without ads. Another great feature is on any of these songs, even using the free ad supported version of Xbox Music, you can add songs to your cloud library.

Now as for all the songs you currently have, Xbox Music on Windows 8 does provide you the ability to do a "scan and match" type service. It will scan your songs and attempt to identify them in the Xbox Music service. if it has the songs, it will just add them to your library, no uploading necessary. If it is unable to find the songs, you can upload your version. (very similar to what Apple is doing with the latest version of iCloud).

Hope that helped answer your questions :)

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered, because I want it, not "settling" at all. Not familiar with Google music but there won't be any lack of music apps eventually. I'm guessing the built in music solution will likely provide the functionality you get with Google music.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey just wanted to get some opinions. I plan on picking up the 8X when it's released In stores and just curious. Are most of you settling because its the best windows phone for Verizon or do you truly want the 8X ? I played with AT&T version and I love size of it and really have no complaints on it other than the memory. 16gb doesn't seem much but I realized most of my memory is consumed by music. For current windows phone users is there an alternative to google music on windows phone.? I'm coming from android and although I had a trophy In way beginning it was a work phone and I never used it like I did my personal so I don't quite know what similar features it offers that I have benefit with android.
I think Xbox Music is a perfect alternative to google music. it's an all in one music service. when I signed up for Xbox music I got a free Xbox music pass for 30 days :D, Thanks MS

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I preordered because i WANT the 8x.

As far as memory goes.. im not concerned. all my music is on the cloud with Google Music as well. A friend of mine made the app Cloudmuzik. A full featured Google Music client for Windows Phone (and soon windows 8).

...i also got a year free of xbox music for free from buying Surface on launch day.

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
To answer the OP's questions, yes and yes. I had wanted the 920 initially but after the at&t deal came to light I started looking at the 8X more closely and really warmed up to it. The screen is really the only thing I feel like I'll be missing and the 8X's is really good in it's own right. I've had my Trophy for a year and a half and have loved it so there's was nothing that was really motivating me to dump HTC other than wanting the Nokia but if Nokia is going to play these carrier games and lock people out of buying their product then I'll more than happily give my repeat business to HTC.

Daniel0418

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Both I suppose...

I am getting one when it comes out. I would say it is about 50/50 as far as wanting it and getting it because its all we have. I would prefer the 920 personally, but I do enjoy the size/shape of the 8x. I do think it is unfortunate that even with the new hardware compatibility in Windows Phone 8 that the hardware is still so far behind modern Android and iPhone offerings. Sure we don't need quad cores, but it is more than just that. It is the RAM, the cameras, the processor, the Cache, and the sizes of the devices. Why on earth are the Windows Phones so thick? Even the 8X is super thick compared to other devices out right now. It is thicker then the Verizon Galaxy Nexus that came out last year. I don't understand why the 822 and the 920 are so thick either. The 920 is blamed for the Camera, but what is the 822 excuse? I just wish Windows Phone could keep up exactly on hardware with Apple at least, I think this would make it more appealing to people who are switching over.

That having been said, I love the colors, look, and feel of the HTC device. And it is the best WP on Verizon (at least until the Ativ). So I look forward to it.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
"And it is the best WP on Verizon (at least until the Ativ). So I look forward to it."
But isn't that the issue - the 8x is the best on VZW. Is it the best WP8 phone?
I played with both the 920, the 820, and the 8x. I liked the 920 better than the 8x. I thought the screen looked sharper and was positioned better on the device.
I am seriously thinking about either moving to AT&T with the Walmart deal or sitting this round out. I could settle for the 8x, but why?

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
"Best" is subjective and based on what is important and/or required by oneself. For me, with the currently available phones, the 8x is the best. But you may have a different set of values to judge against. Every one does, so this "best" designation is rather pointless. I guess we'll have to wait and see which becomes more popular, isn't that ultimately what proves the better phone?

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
ME im waiting to get my hands on both the 822 and the 8x because i found out long ago "the best" phone reviews and the "the best" spec's mean nothing. its how the phone feels to me, ive had far too many android phones that were flagship superphones with impressive spec's left and right. but when it came right down to it, i enjoyed my "midranged" htc droid incredible 4g better than the "superior in every way" samsung galaxy s 3 that it replaced. im comming to a wp8 phone because frankly i dislike my 3 years of android and every tablet/cellphone ive had with it are far less stable and consistant with my windows pc/laptops and my wifes iphone4.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey just wanted to get some opinions. I plan on picking up the 8X when it's released In stores and just curious. Are most of you settling because its the best windows phone for Verizon or do you truly want the 8X ?
Personally, I settled on the 8X.
It was the best option that Verizon had.
I wanted a 4" or smaller screen (not 4.3").
I wanted a microSD slot.
I wanted a removable battery.
I wanted to be able to use the screen with my gloves on.
But, it was this or the 822.
That is wider, heavier, and lower-resolution.
It was a no-brainer, for me.
JJ

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
There is a very real chance I will migrate to Verizon here soon if my wife can get me a concession line with them. It would just be cheaper in the long haul. I'd like a 920, but have played with the 8x and don't feel I'd be settling too bad. For starters its light as air. Ot is also easier.to hold in onr hand(for me). Camera shutter is super fast and takes great daylight pics. You have the Bing maps app which is missing on the 920. Its not all all bad trade IzmO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)