4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree1Likes
  1. SRRAE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    The 8x screen is very flush with the case, you cant feel the seam between case and screen.
    However the bottom corner of my phone the screen is raised by quite a bit.
    I tried my best to get a photo if it which you can see below.

    My question is, should I send it back saying its not right or am I being pedantic about it?
    Im worried if it goes back for warranty repairs they may see that as an excuse not to fix.


  2. thatotherdude24's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    442 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,080 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Evans View Post
    The 8x screen is very flush with the case, you cant feel the seam between case and screen.
    However the bottom corner of my phone the screen is raised by quite a bit.
    I tried my best to get a photo if it which you can see below.

    My question is, should I send it back saying its not right or am I being pedantic about it?
    Im worried if it goes back for warranty repairs they may see that as an excuse not to fix.


    Click to view quoted image
    I saw this exact same thing in a review video. The guy called it an error during production.
  3. SRRAE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    I saw this exact same thing in a review video. The guy called it an error during production.
    Do you think I should send back or just live with it? Is any one else's like that?
  4. Munkeyphyst's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    What's the negative to requesting an exchange?
    spoonite likes this.
  5. SRRAE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Very true I think I'll give them a call.
  6. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    That is called HTC quality. The One X had a loose digitizer where corners of the screen could be pushed in, the silver camera lens circle cap also began raising after awhile, and there was some poor finishing near the micro usb port. That is typical HTC quality and why they get spanked in Android.

    I suggest live with it or switch brands. Once I get my 8x, I would be happy with just one flaw like that raised screen provided it stays in place and doesn't lift anymore. Preferably no flaws but this is HTC we are talking about here.
  7. Rich Edmonds's Avatar

    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Had the exact same feature with the review unit I received from Clove. Didn't think much of it, and didn't believe it posed any potential problem for the device. I feel as though the overall build quality of the 8X is pretty good.
    spoonite likes this.
  8. GarrettSR5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    That is called HTC quality. The One X had a loose digitizer where corners of the screen could be pushed in, the silver camera lens circle cap also began raising after awhile, and there was some poor finishing near the micro usb port. That is typical HTC quality and why they get spanked in Android.

    I suggest live with it or switch brands. Once I get my 8x, I would be happy with just one flaw like that raised screen provided it stays in place and doesn't lift anymore. Preferably no flaws but this is HTC we are talking about here.

    For someone who **** talks HTC I'm surprised you bought an 8X.
    I've had HTC phones since 2005 when the Apache came out, then the Mogul then the Titan then the Touch then the Touch Pro and now I rock a Touch Pro2. I beat the crap out of my phones and HTC have been nothing but awesome.
  9. rdifiori's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    383 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    With manufacturers now producing millions of phones, there is no way quality can be what it was say 10 year ago.

    Take it back until you are satisfied. Eventually you'll get one that is right. It may take 3 or 4 times, but stick with it. You're spending good money, and you deserve quality.

    PS "Pedantic" is the wrong word. It doesn't fit at all. I don't know why you would use that word.
  10. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    For someone who **** talks HTC I'm surprised you bought an 8X.
    I've had HTC phones since 2005 when the Apache came out, then the Mogul then the Titan then the Touch then the Touch Pro and now I rock a Touch Pro2. I beat the crap out of my phones and HTC have been nothing but awesome.
    I really had no choice. The Nokia Lumia 920 is way too big for me and the Ativ S is too similar to my current phone. It was either the 8x or not get Windows Phone at all.

    Well, I had the latest and greatest HTC phone the One X(two of them bought a month apart) so I think my experience is a more up to date indicator of their quality or lack of quality.
  11. Kebero's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    716 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    I really had no choice. The Nokia Lumia 920 is way too big for me and the Ativ S is too similar to my current phone. It was either the 8x or not get Windows Phone at all.

    The Lumia 820 wasn't an option? Sure, you don't get an HD display or the camera goodies of the 920, but you get some powerful internals and expandable storage (up to 64GB for your media files).
  12. Isror's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    The floor model I tried at Best Buy had the screen flush on all four corners, and it was an AT&T model.
  13. ajua's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Edmonds View Post
    Had the exact same feature with the review unit I received from Clove. Didn't think much of it, and didn't believe it posed any potential problem for the device. I feel as though the overall build quality of the 8X is pretty good.
    I just received my Black 8X from Clove 30 minutes ago. I had to look very hard to find that the bottom left corner of the screen wasn't as flushed into the body as the other 3 corners.

    It isn't as pronounced as the OP's phone. Maybe half the height or less of what you see in the picture he posted. With mine, you have to try very hard to notice it.

    I would recommend the OP to exchange it if you can. I may not be a noticeable detail, but if you can get a perfectly aligned one, get it.
  14. SRRAE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    I contacted my mobile provider.
    As a customer of their other services I get free insurance. When I called and explained what the issue was, I was asked if I wanted to do an insurance claim with a 35 excess.
    Trying to pull a fast one.
    I explained that I didn't cause the issue and its something I have noticed after using the phone for a few days.

    Long story short I they are swapping it out on Friday as a manufaturing fault.

    I'll tell you if the next one is any better.

    As for the Pedantic, I was trying to think of a single word which meant "unrealisticly high expectation" I got bored of thinking and put anything.
  15. Munkeyphyst's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    My understanding of Pedantic is nit picky for details that ultimately don't matter. Granted, it usually applies to academia, but it makes sense in the manner that you used it, even if only metaphorically. Either rdef is being intentionally obtuse to drive home his pedantic agenda, or he doesn't know what it means...
    I hope your quest for a more "polished" 8X is successful. :)
  16. unstoppablekem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,649 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    One reason why I didn't get the 8X, felt like a toy and cheap.
  17. hipporama's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    One guy on another site said that the back scratches easily and rubber coating comes off. Any owners here can confirm this?
  18. Goodbyemoff's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    With the scratching, is the colour painted on or is the polycarbonate coloured throughout like nokias.
  19. mtrms's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbyemoff View Post
    With the scratching, is the colour painted on or is the polycarbonate coloured throughout like nokias.
    The phone itself is polycarbonate like the Nokias but there is an outer coating to give it that "soft touch" feel.
  20. Joelist's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    I also have had HTCs for years in both Win Mobile/WinPhone and Android. My current phone is an HTC Rezound and the build quality is superb. Methinks that we have some Nokia trolls on the forums trying to badmouth HTC.

    As to the OP, I would request an exchange. The carrier should do it no issues - all phones have bad one in the production run, it's a sad fact of our mass production world.
  21. ajua's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by hipporama View Post
    One guy on another site said that the back scratches easily and rubber coating comes off. Any owners here can confirm this?
    There was one photo as a scratched back posted here and then onto many sites but the guy who posted it said that he dropped his phone. It caused confusion on other sites because the people posting it didn't talk about a drop, just plain and simple "coating comes off".

    Honestly, I would say that the back can be scratch with keys, coins or other things just as easily as aluminum bodies or other polycarbonate backs. The 8X is not worst or better in this regard, just the same.

    If you are buting one, look for the original cases by HTC. I ordered a Cali Blue for my black phone and it looks, fits and feel awesome. The feel of the case can't be overstated, it's truly great.
  22. tofu.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajua View Post
    There was one photo as a scratched back posted here and then onto many sites but the guy who posted it said that he dropped his phone. It caused confusion on other sites because the people posting it didn't talk about a drop, just plain and simple "coating comes off".

    Honestly, I would say that the back can be scratch with keys, coins or other things just as easily as aluminum bodies or other polycarbonate backs. The 8X is not worst or better in this regard, just the same.

    If you are buting one, look for the original cases by HTC. I ordered a Cali Blue for my black phone and it looks, fits and feel awesome. The feel of the case can't be overstated, it's truly great.
    yes but there is a difference between a coating and scratching pure polycarbonate. when the coating peels, it is going to look like crap.

    fortunately, there are aftermarket solutions to repairing it down the line, such as: Alsa Corp | Soft Feeling Paint
  23. SRRAE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #23  
    Just to keep you updated.
    They phone was replaced today, just over 24 hours, good service.

    The phone is perfectly fine. No raised screen.

    But it did confirm something I thought strange with my first phone.
    My first 8x when i turned it on went straight to the home no wizard etc.
    The new phone which has no screen defect, turned on and went straight to the setup wizard.

    It makes me think the other phone had already been returned etc.
  24. berty6294's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,339 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,354 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    BUMP
    my replacement phone has this problem... not happy going back to verizon again. I hate dealing with those fruitbags. Last time i went in, just wanted to change my phone out, got asked 3 times if i wanted to buy a tablet, had to explain 3 times that i just bought a surface, then got asked like 5 times if i want to buy a 4g jetpack hotspot....
  25. PJLips's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Wow I hoped I wasn't the only one with that problem. My screen is raised a bit on the bottom left corner, but it's not a big problem, the phone still works perfectly. Apart from that tiny issue, couldn't be happier with my 8X!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

";