Case or no case?

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I've typically gotten a case for all my phones, used them for about a year and then removed them and my phone seems just fine. Based on that, I'm planning on not getting a case for my 8X. Also, I think it would be a shame to ruin the form factor and hide the nice, blue color.

What about others? Case or no case? Why/why not?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I never bother using cases, I usually find that they're just too bulky. Phones and their screens are pretty durable these days and can put up with the day to day use that I put them through.

I'm also not obsessed with keeping things in absolute perfect condition, but respect that other people are.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I've typically gotten a case for all my phones, used them for about a year and then removed them and my phone seems just fine. Based on that, I'm planning on not getting a case for my 8X. Also, I think it would be a shame to ruin the form factor and hide the nice, blue color.

What about others? Case or no case? Why/why not?

the 8X needs a case. The 920 has one built in, and is stronger and lighter than the iPhone 5 with an otterbox defender.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
the 8X needs a case. The 920 has one built in, and is stronger and lighter than the iPhone 5 with an otterbox defender.

What do you mean by the 920 has one built in? Not quite following that. Are you just saying it is so durable it doesn't really need one? Is the polycarbonate that Nokia used that much stronger than HTC's?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Just remember, no matter how careful you are sooner or later you are going to drop your phone.

There's numerous posts in the forum about people hopping out of their car, and their phone falling out of their pocket shattering the screen. Dave Blake the Admin here dropped his Titan off a table and the screen shattered.

I always use a case, but that's just me. It's up to you to weigh the benefits vs the potential cost.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Don't fall for all that "Nokia's are indestructible BS" because they are not... I dropped a my Lumia 800 once and the speaker developed a hissing noise yet I dropped my Trophy countless times and it kept on working flawlessly.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend using a case. I ordered an HTC Double Shot Hard Case (a long name, I know lol) in Blue. That was the only one I found available when I ordered my black 8X. This case is perhaps the most fitted I've ever seen in a phone. It fitsso well that most people will think it's just the phone I'm carrying.

The materials are good and it's very lightweight. They are a blend of hard plastic and rubber that feels great on your hands.

I'm looking to buy one in black to match my phone color and one more in limelight yellow to exchange them from time to time if I get bored or in the mood for a colorful case.

Last edited:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a look at the Double Shot hard case. I prefer the gel cases, but I also want to retain the nice feel of the phone. At least the color matches, so that's a good thing. Still not sure I'll get one. Out of four of us in my family I'm the only one who doesn't have insurance and usually doesn't have case. Maybe I'll change my mind.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend getting yourself a slide-out leather case. Both the 920 and 8X are too pretty to enclose them in a hardshell case. I just bought myself a leather case this morning at BB after seeing that 920 post above yesterday. The case I got isn't really what I want but I needed to get something.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a look at the Double Shot hard case. I prefer the gel cases, but I also want to retain the nice feel of the phone. At least the color matches, so that's a good thing. Still not sure I'll get one. Out of four of us in my family I'm the only one who doesn't have insurance and usually doesn't have case. Maybe I'll change my mind.

The feel of the Double Shot case is great. It is somewhat similar to the back of the 8X. See if you can try one on your hands before purchasing, but you won't be disappointed by its quality and fit.

netsatwork

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For those of you that don't want a case, but want a little more protection on the corners of the phone, you might look at sugru (The future needs fixing - the future needs fixing - sugru). I've used it some of my older Android phones and it works surprisingly well (I assume it would also work on the 8X). It's a sticky putty that you can mold to protect the corners then it dries hard and smooth, but with a little bit of flexibility to make it good protection. Kind of hard to describe, but check out their site for pics, etc. Sugru has a ton of other uses too.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend using a case. I ordered an HTC Double Shot Hard Case (a long name, I know lol) in Blue. That was the only one I found available when I ordered my black 8X. This case is perhaps the most fitted I've ever seen in a phone. It fitsso well that most people will think it's just the phone I'm carrying.

The materials are good and it's very lightweight. They are a blend of hard plastic and rubber that feels great on your hands.

I'm looking to buy one in black to match my phone color and one more in limelight yellow to exchange them from time to time if I get bored or in the mood for a colorful case.

Where did you get your case? I have yet to see them on any of the sites I've looked at. If they have a red one that matches the red 8X I might just go that way, rather than replacing my black phone with a red. I like the look of the black much more than I thought I would. The Verizon one is just so black, no silver anywhere and even the logos on the back are pretty subdued.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Where did you get your case? I have yet to see them on any of the sites I've looked at. If they have a red one that matches the red 8X I might just go that way, rather than replacing my black phone with a red. I like the look of the black much more than I thought I would. The Verizon one is just so black, no silver anywhere and even the logos on the back are pretty subdued.

I ordered it from Clove.co.uk along with my Black 8X. They were the only ones that were selling those Double Shot cases, but only in Blue. I wish I knew where to get one in black to match my phone and a limelight yellow because that color tone got me drooling when I first saw it :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs