Want an 8x but will I miss the Nokia apps?

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I visited my verizon store to check out the lumia 822 but I was much more drawn to the htc 8x. The weight, matte blue color, awesome screen of the 8x just screamed quality and now I can't decide between the two. I'm not a huge fan of the design of the 822 (especially the low res screen) but I'm drawn to its apps like Nokia drive, city lens and such. But I wonder if I am even going to miss these apps if I go with the 8x. Basically I want people to give me reasons to ditch the 822 route and grab the beautiful blue 8x.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read that the Nokia exclusive apps would go to general availability after a set period of time? If that's the case you would eventually get them.

I think the hardware would out do the software/apps for me. I think if you have to "look" at the device everytime you use it, you may want to go the route of HTC with the better screen res. How often would you use a nokia app as compared to the actual device? (Rhetorical) That's how I am looking at it now.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a Lumia 800 and I've tried all the Nokia apps. The only truly useful app for my usage is Nokia Drive. That's the only one I will miss when I get the 8x. The rest I can live without. I hope it gets released for all other WP8s. I mean, if Nokia can launch the HERE mapping platform on iOS and Android then I think it would be stupid for them not to release it for other manufacturers of WP.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Most people have a GPS and mapping systems are great outside of Nokia drive. How often do you really need turn by turn in your daily life. Most people know exactly where they're going and exactly how to get there most of their life. So I think bing maps would suffice if you're going somewhere you don't know. Also like they said, rumor has it everyone is getting nokia drive later anyway.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Most people have a GPS and mapping systems are great outside of Nokia drive. How often do you really need turn by turn in your daily life. Most people know exactly where they're going and exactly how to get there most of their life. So I think bing maps would suffice if you're going somewhere you don't know. Also like they said, rumor has it everyone is getting nokia drive later anyway.
Well I have a HTC phone. HTC Surround unlocked. It is ok quality wise but i dont have the 7.5 refresh (Tango) update yet. even I checked today and it is not there..

So it is not only Apps but also updates.

I am goingt o Nokia phones as i get the goodies also i get my updates.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I have a HTC phone. HTC Surround unlocked. It is ok quality wise but i dont have the 7.5 refresh (Tango) update yet. even I checked today and it is not there..

So it is not only Apps but also updates.

I am goingt o Nokia phones as i get the goodies also i get my updates.
The issue with win 7 updates was, honestly, the service providers. Now, because of wp8 microsoft can push updates themselves. I doubt that this will be a problem now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to disagree with much of what others have said here. Sorry guys.
I thought I read that the Nokia exclusive apps would go to general availability after a set period of time? If that's the case you would eventually get them.
Nokia Drive is supposed to be available for all WP8 devices once it is out of beta. Then Nokia Drive+ will be exclusive to Lumia phones. Nokia Drive proper coming to other Windows Phone OEMs after all | WMPoweruser
None of Nokia's apps are coming to non-Lumia devices except ND (Nokia Drive)... maybe. Until ND is actually seen on the 8X, there is no guarantee you will get it either, and it even depends on where you live. Unfortunately it isn't straight forward. This is a more detailed description of how this mess works.
I mean, if Nokia can launch the HERE mapping platform on iOS and Android then I think it would be stupid for them not to release it for other manufacturers of WP.
Nokia already released the HERE platform for all WP devices. It's their "location platform" that is already included in every copy of WP8 shipping from Microsoft. From a consumers point of view the HERE platform is similar to Google maps... a webpage that offers mapping services. From a developers point of view it is much more than that, but that will not interest consumers directly. In any case, getting access to the HERE platform doesn't mean everyone is getting a ND equivalent for their devices.
I think the hardware would out do the software/apps for me. I think if you have to "look" at the device everytime you use it, you may want to go the route of HTC with the better screen res.
A smartphone's usefulness is defined by the apps it can run, not by hardware. Hardware exists only as a means of running software (and for bragging rights). If you do a lot of up-close reading on your smartphone (web browsing, ebooks), then I would also recommend going with the 8X as that is when you will notice the better resolution, otherwise 800x480 is fine.
The issue with win 7 updates was, honestly, the service providers. Now, because of wp8 microsoft can push updates themselves. I doubt that this will be a problem now.
As of yet this is still unconfirmed. Microsoft said as much of WP7 which turned out to be completely false, so I think a bit of skepticism is justified.

Anyway, even if we all end up getting every single WP8 update within a day, there is still the question of firmware and app updates from HTC and Nokia. Nokia has a proven track record of taking care of customer complaints and patching firmware quickly. At this point HTC still needs to prove they can do that too. So far they have not, and more often than not that wasn't the carriers fault.

Don't get me wrong. I think the 8X is a good device and I also think it is fine to say: "the 8X looks better and that is why I bought it". ;)

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the 920 now and I agree Drive is the only useful app and I do not need it since I have satnav in all of my vehicles. The city lens app is kind of cool but not really very useful. Nokia music falls into the same category it is free music but I don't find myself using it.

I am planning on trading my 920 for an 8X tomorrow if I can, I like the size of the 8X much better and I am not going to miss the apps at all.

I think the phones are similar enough they will end up getting updates at the same time when it cones to OS updates.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 and only have drive, cinemegraph, and smart shoot installed. I don't use any of then really though. I didn't like Nokia Music, but then again, I have an XBox music pass.

Steven Piazza

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar story as everyone else. Went to VZW today and they only have black and white 822. Nice looking device. Screen was beautiful. I walked in with my mind set on getting the 8x. Really want to compare the two devices. Only downside of 822 is the screen res, nokia apps, and potentially camera quality.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I got myself the Navigon navigation, it is great and even includes an augmented reality mode like on the new Nokia's! Shows what is around you in the camera view up to a 1Km distance. So... I miss nothing the Nokia has.

anon(5348220)

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Does it have voice navigation? WPCentral reported text to speech coming later so not sure what that means. There's unfortunately no trial so can't test it.

Edwin4NOH8

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The 8X will be for my 2nd line (work) so I am fine waiting on a good GPS app for WP8. My HTC ReZound (Android) is my primary phone and I love Google Navigation on it.

downstevedown

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

That's what they said when the Galaxy Nexus was released on Verizon - Google can push the updates themselves, and we didn't have to worry about Verizon slowing the process. Didn't quite work out that way. Microsoft's technical ability to push an update themselves could wind up running into a carrier brick wall...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)