Bing Identify Songs

zethymir

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there something magical i have to do, or doesn't that exist on all windows 8 phones? In all countries or whatever? Because there is no option for that after i press the search button.
I feel like I've seen the button for it, but it certainly isn't there anymore.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Is there something magical i have to do, or doesn't that exist on all windows 8 phones? In all countries or whatever? Because there is no option for that after i press the search button.
I feel like I've seen the button for it, but it certainly isn't there anymore.

Seriously? That would be completely lame if it was removed. Hopefully it's just been moved and you simply can't find it. I suppose you could try sound hound or shazam.

If Verizon would have shipped me my phone on time, I'd look around. Alas, I'm stuck with my Trophy for now...

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
After you hit the "Search" button to bring up Bing is there a little microphone looking icon? That's the way it is on 7.5 anyway.

zethymir

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is a microphone in the search bar, but that's not for the music. And i have tried it just to see. What i should have is a musical note icon. I have an eye and buildings.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
What? The microphone button is to speak your search query. To use bing to find song information about a song that is playing around you, press the search button at the bottom right of your phone. Then at the bottom you will see three icons at the bottom: (from left to right) Scout; Music; Vision. The middle one is a music note and is the one you use to find song info. It's the same as it was back in 7.5. If you don't see it there then either it is not available in your area or it was some how restricted from your device and I don't know how to fix those two things.

mundyb

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Good catch WPmunkey. My bad. It is the musical note, sorry.

I hope they haven't taken that away. It's good for musical trivia in restaurants while waiting for your food!haha

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I was never aware of this feature. Sure is a lot of "hidden" functionality. There must be a hints document somewhere around that tracks these nuggets of learning?

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a microphone in the search bar, but that's not for the music. And i have tried it just to see. What i should have is a musical note icon. I have an eye and buildings.

I was at the Verizon store in Scottsdale and they had a blue 8x on display (none to sell) but on the display version there, the music icon was there when I hit the search button.

zethymir

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's shown in the help+tips part on the phone and in the quick manual too, but there is a note in the manual, "some search functions are probably not available in some countries..." =/

Anchelspain

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
The music note icon for identifying songs only appears if your region settings is set to the US (and some other countries as well I guess). But for example in Denmark it is not there by default. A very stupid decision to lock it to specific regions, really.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Some search features like Local Scout and Music search is not available on many countries. Mexico is one of them.

There's been two years since WP launched and Microsoft should have more of this country specific features already laid out. I've been using Soundhound and Shazam when I need to find a song's name.

A tip for those local searchers: hit the search button, make a search like pizza or bar, then swipe to your left until you hit a "for you" section. You will be prompted for permission to use your facebook and other settings for Bing to get you results near you. This works well, but it's no Local Scout, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb