Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60
Like Tree14Likes
  1. cardinalryan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    I can tell you that my 8X performs better than the 920 I had... because it does perform. Granted, I'm sure that was an issue only with that one specific unit, but even so. Specs are just specs and like any data can be twisted to suit the presenter; unless we're talking a vast world of difference, performance is in the eye of the user. :)
    I don't disagree with that.

    However, like you acknowledged, I'm sure you just had a bad unit. My 920 has been perfect so far.
  2. cardinalryan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #27  
    I am not stating that the L920 is a better choice for every user, however, I am stating that the only legitimate reason to select the 8X over the L920 is because you prefer the size.

    If size is not a factor, then the L920 wins every time.
  3. Smg-Uk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    192 Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
    I am not stating that the L920 is a better choice for every user, however, I am stating that the only legitimate reason to select the 8X over the L920 is because you prefer the size.

    If size is not a factor, then the L920 wins every time.

    Ha so it wins by taking worse daytime photos, Having worse audio quality, Having a worse ffc, Having more overall hardware & software faults.


    If you prefer your 920 great but its very fanboyish to say it wins in every area because it doesn't.
  4. Jeebs1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #29  
    Tried both out at the Microsoft store, the 8X just felt better in my hand and just seemed to perform better too.

    I'm going to miss the camera but I think it's something I can live without for a more comfortable phone.

    Plus I like the Blue colour :D
  5. cardinalryan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smg-Uk View Post
    Ha so it wins by taking worse daytime photos, Having worse audio quality, Having a worse ffc, Having more overall hardware & software faults.


    If you prefer your 920 great but its very fanboyish to say it wins in every area because it doesn't.
    You can say "fanboy" all you want, but the truth is, I don't give two $h!/s about what brand of phone I carry. I just objectively evaluate and purchase the best one. In this case, there is no comparison between the two.
  6. jameskk1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    #31  
    I purchased the 920 on launch day from at&t. Nokia Music was a big draw for me, as was the wireless charging. They did not have the 8X in when I purchased. Today I went back to look at the 8X and I was like WOW!!! I boxed up my 920 and traded. The 8X really has a WOW factor when you see and use it in person. I wasn't a fan of the design when looking at it on the web. I do miss Nokia Music but I LOVE having Bing Maps back! I know it has Bing Maps because several local businesses are listed and they were missing in Nokia Maps. If the 920 didn't weigh so much I would probably have kept it. Both are excellent WP8 phones.
    Thanked by:
    Coffee 
  7. Coffee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #32  
    Thanks for the perspective, james. Both are great phones in their own ways.
  8. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #33  
    I played around with a Rogers Lumia 920 before buying my 8X... personally the 8X to me is years ahead in terms of build. (and I have large hands so has nothing to do with being to big for my hands).
    Last edited by Chris Parsons; 11-20-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: edit
  9. Coffee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #34  
    just a bug. use the 'advanced' feature.
  10. Smg-Uk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    192 Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
    You can say "fanboy" all you want, but the truth is, I don't give two $h!/s about what brand of phone I carry. I just objectively evaluate and purchase the best one. In this case, there is no comparison between the two.
    If you didn't give "two sh*ts" you wouldn't going around like a deluded fanboy saying that the Lumia 920 is better in every area because unfortunately its out done in quite a few areas.
  11. JSern's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smg-Uk View Post
    Ha so it wins by taking worse daytime photos, Having worse audio quality, Having a worse ffc, Having more overall hardware & software faults.


    If you prefer your 920 great but its very fanboyish to say it wins in every area because it doesn't.
    Whoa fanboy alert
  12. Klevis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #37  
    The Puremotion HD+ is not a gimmick. The fact that HTC 8X has a 60Hz refresh rate is about the graphic card which can render 60 frames/s. The problem is that the display cannot act fast enough. A pixel needs some time before it can change its color. I think Lumia has decreased the response time of the pixels from 23ms to 9ms. That is why the display of the Lumia 920 has less lag than HTC 8X.
  13. Smg-Uk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    192 Posts
    #38  
    Whoa fanboy alert
    Those are facts, If i was a fanboy i would of said something like 8x takes better lowlight photos or has better IS.
  14. Smg-Uk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    192 Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klevis View Post
    The Puremotion HD+ is not a gimmick. The fact that HTC 8X has a 60Hz refresh rate is about the graphic card which can render 60 frames/s. The problem is that the display cannot act fast enough. A pixel needs some time before it can change its color. I think Lumia has decreased the response time of the pixels from 23ms to 9ms. That is why the display of the Lumia 920 has less lag than HTC 8X.
    Except for the fact the 8X screen doesn't lag so it might as well be a gimmick.
  15. cardinalryan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smg-Uk View Post
    If you didn't give "two sh*ts" you wouldn't going around like a deluded fanboy saying that the Lumia 920 is better in every area because unfortunately its out done in quite a few areas.
    Look man, I'm just telling you what I believe to be true...some of my opinions on the Lumia 920 are just that, opinions. Other things are fact...it is fact that you get more for less money, it is fact that the Lumia has a brighter screen, it is fact that the Lumia has a better camera, it is fact that the Lumia has better apps.

    If I were a fanboy of anything, it would be Apple...I've owned nothing but iPhones since 2007 until this jump to WP8. I haven't owned a Nokia since that old candy bar dumb phone with the changeable faceplates (1997???), so I couldn't care less about Nokia and its well being.

    When it comes to my phones, It's Al Franken baby...how does it affect me?? Bottom line, the 8X is a fine device, but it is a hair short of the L920...that's all.
  16. #41  
    Yeah, problem is that Nokia QQ in its new Chinese factories is no where near where it should be. Also, HTC moded the OneS into the 8X, they will do the same to the OneX+ for 2013.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  17. Etyrnus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    379 Posts
    #42  
    Seems like everyone is getting a little defensive. I went with the 920 because of the price, I like the feel of it, and the style on it suits me. The 8X is an amazing phone, I played with one of those before I ever saw a 920, but there wasn't as good a deal on it at the time. Would I pass on one if they were both available and in my budget? F--- no. HTC and Nokia are both killing it with their designs. Get the one you like the look and feel, that you can afford, etc, and lets get along in the glory of WP8.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
    hipporama likes this.
  18. Smg-Uk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    192 Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
    Look man, I'm just telling you what I believe to be true...some of my opinions on the Lumia 920 are just that, opinions. Other things are fact...it is fact that you get more for less money, it is fact that the Lumia has a brighter screen, it is fact that the Lumia has a better camera, it is fact that the Lumia has better apps.

    If I were a fanboy of anything, it would be Apple...I've owned nothing but iPhones since 2007 until this jump to WP8. I haven't owned a Nokia since that old candy bar dumb phone with the changeable faceplates (1997???), so I couldn't care less about Nokia and its well being.

    When it comes to my phones, It's Al Franken baby...how does it affect me?? Bottom line, the 8X is a fine device, but it is a hair short of the L920...that's all.

    it is fact that you get more for less money
    Maybe in America but elsewhere no because the 8X is cheaper.

    it is fact that the Lumia has a brighter screen
    Nope that's not a fact that's debatable

    it is fact that the Lumia has a better camera
    Again no it's not a "Fact" its not better overall

    it is fact that the Lumia has better apps.
    If you use them then yes but apps I don't really give a monkeys about which is a good thing because WP is not yet known for how many great apps it has.

    Bottom line, the 8X is a fine device, but it is a hair short of the L920...that's all
    For you maybe in general No!.
  19. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #44  
    I think both devices are nice and have multiple pro's BUT cardinalryan you are going to a HTC 8X forum and bashing the 8X to praise the 920... kinda defeats your argument of not being a fanboy.
  20. dk0654's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #45  
    Nokia, HTC or Samsung Windows Phone 8 are all awesome....Why? Because it's not an iPhone or Android....Hahahahahahahahahaha
    Thanked by:
  21. chrimble's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #46  
    Good grief this thread is depressing.

    "My WP8 phone is better than your WP8 phone because it is substantially thinner and lighter."

    "My WP8 phone is better than your WP8 phone because it has a slightly faster LCD response time".

    "My WP8 phone is better than your WP8 phone because it is has a BEATS AUDIO built into it."

    "My WP8 phone is better than your WP8 phone because it is has a significantly better camera."

    GET A GRIP. These are comparatively minor differences! They are both valid options! But claiming, "well, on Mars, my Lumia 920 weighs less than your Earthbound HTC 8X" or "my registered-blind aunt can't tell the difference between photographs taken on the 8X to the 920 anyway" might both be true but are counter-productive when we should ALL be recognising/*****ing about the things that could ACTUALLY BE IMPROVED about the WP8 platform generally!

    I've owned my WP8 phone for all of four days and I love it to tiny little pieces already -- but I'm not blind to a few incredibly obvious areas of improvement, e.g. battery management, sound/volume management, the notification system (or rather "lack thereof"), 3rd-party crapplications and obtuse settings, etc.

    This should be a lot more fun than attempting to seek validation regarding our specific expensive hardware purchases, when we can all agree on the rough edges regardless of what we're actually running the OS on.
    Thanked by:
  22. Koekjes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #47  
    I was waiting for the 920 for months, but then I saw the 8x in a store and I fell in love with that phone. Sure, it has nothing to do with specs or whatever, it's just the looks that made me buy it. Since the 920 is not yet released here, I can't give an opinion on that phone. Nokia surely missed the chance of selling me a phone though, because they wait so long to release the phone here.

    Anyway I have the 8X now for a week and I still love it. It's light, I love the blue color, it's fast, the 4.3 inch screen is perfect for me. I was always a happy HTC user (my last 3 phones were HTC phones), so that might also have been a reason not to wait for the Nokia. I use phones mainly for calling, reading email and following social media, so specs about camera's, music and storage are a bit wasted on me.
  23. Daniel Rubino's Avatar
    Editor-in-chief

    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    ....but most people take photos in decently lit places
    Do you have evidence for this? Because Nokia's own internals show that most people take photos after work, in the evening when people are out with friends, family and co-workers. That was the whole point of doing PureView 2, to concentrate on low-light photography because most photos are taken (or they want to take them) in adverse conditions,

    For the record, while the 8X is a decent phone and has a lot going for it, I grab the Lumia 920 each and every time I head out the door. It's not even a contest for my preference.
    Daniel Rubino
    Editor in chief - Windows Central
    Email: daniel@windowscentral
    Twitter: @Daniel_Rubino
    Socl: Daniel Rubino
  24. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    The size and weight of the 8X make it more comfortable to hold and use with one hand.
    Agreed, though the 920 isn't bad, I was surprised to find that it's actually easier to hold than my 900 due to the shape.

    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    Despite what some reviews say, the 8X has a better screen. The pixel density is higher and it doesn't have any awful coatings on it.
    The pixel density isn't different enough to be perceptible. I think the 8X has an AMOLED screen though, if so I agree that looks better. The 920 does not have any "screen coatings" on it that the 8X doesn't have. They use the same oleophobic coating everyone else does.

    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    The 920's ClearBlack display coating may give it slightly better blacks, but it hurts clarity a bit and gives the screen an annoying shimmery quality.
    ClearBlack is not a coating. It's a form of polarization INSIDE the screen which keeps light hitting the screen from reflecting back out at your eyes, thereby making the screen much easier to view in sunlight, and it works quite well.

    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    The 920 screen is also too warm and distorts colors at certain angles more than the 8X screen does.
    Can't comment on this. Maybe you're right.

    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    And the 920's PureMotion aspect is nothing but marketing. The 8X's display has a 60 Hz refresh rate too. That's standard stuff. The 8X operates just as smoothly.
    No, PureMotion is not just the refresh rate, it's also the response time, which is about 2-3 times faster than any other phone and a number of other things.

    The 5 Coolest Things about Nokia's PureMotion HD+ Display Technology

    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    Overall, the 8X has a better camera as well. There, I said it. The 920 certainly takes better low light pictures and videos, but most people take photos in decently lit places and the 8X just takes way better pictures in normal lighting.
    Have a look at the 920 pictures thread and then compare those pics to the 8X picture thread, then tell me that.

    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    The 8X has the standard Windows Phone Maps app. Be thankful. You can't access it on the 920 and Nokia Maps isn't up to snuff yet. Just look here: Nokia Maps is a giant step backwards - Windows Phone Central Forums
    The Windows Phone maps app is based on the same Nokia/NAVTEQ technology as Nokia Maps. On behalf of Nokia, you're welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    Yes, Nokia's app selection is pretty nice and definitely better than what HTC offers, but if price wasn't a factor, I still would choose the 8X over the 920. As it stands, I will be skipping this round of Windows phones for now. I feel the 8X is just too expensive compared to the 920 and Windows Phone still has some issues that need to be worked out.
    Fair enough.
  25. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rubino View Post
    Do you have evidence for this? Because Nokia's own internals show that most people take photos after work, in the evening when people are out with friends, family and co-workers. That was the whole point of doing PureView 2, to concentrate on low-light photography because most photos are taken (or they want to take them) in adverse conditions,

    For the record, while the 8X is a decent phone and has a lot going for it, I grab the Lumia 920 each and every time I head out the door. It's not even a contest for my preference.
    The Chief has spoken - End of discussion
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions