Thoughts from a 920 owner

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, problem is that Nokia QQ in its new Chinese factories is no where near where it should be. Also, HTC moded the OneS into the 8X, they will do the same to the OneX+ for 2013.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Seems like everyone is getting a little defensive. I went with the 920 because of the price, I like the feel of it, and the style on it suits me. The 8X is an amazing phone, I played with one of those before I ever saw a 920, but there wasn't as good a deal on it at the time. Would I pass on one if they were both available and in my budget? F--- no. HTC and Nokia are both killing it with their designs. Get the one you like the look and feel, that you can afford, etc, and lets get along in the glory of WP8.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Look man, I'm just telling you what I believe to be true...some of my opinions on the Lumia 920 are just that, opinions. Other things are fact...it is fact that you get more for less money, it is fact that the Lumia has a brighter screen, it is fact that the Lumia has a better camera, it is fact that the Lumia has better apps.

If I were a ****** of anything, it would be Apple...I've owned nothing but iPhones since 2007 until this jump to WP8. I haven't owned a Nokia since that old candy bar dumb phone with the changeable faceplates (1997???), so I couldn't care less about Nokia and its well being.

When it comes to my phones, It's Al Franken baby...how does it affect me?? Bottom line, the 8X is a fine device, but it is a hair short of the L920...that's all.

it is fact that you get more for less money
Maybe in America but elsewhere no because the 8X is cheaper.

it is fact that the Lumia has a brighter screen
Nope that's not a fact that's debatable

it is fact that the Lumia has a better camera
Again no it's not a "Fact" its not better overall

it is fact that the Lumia has better apps.
If you use them then yes but apps I don't really give a monkeys about which is a good thing because WP is not yet known for how many great apps it has.

Bottom line, the 8X is a fine device, but it is a hair short of the L920...that's all
For you maybe in general No!.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think both devices are nice and have multiple pro's BUT cardinalryan you are going to a HTC 8X forum and bashing the 8X to praise the 920... kinda defeats your argument of not being a ******.

dk0654

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia, HTC or Samsung Windows Phone 8 are all awesome....Why? Because it's not an iPhone or Android....Hahahahahahahahahaha

chrimble

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Good grief this thread is depressing.

"My WP8 phone is better than your WP8 phone because it is substantially thinner and lighter."

"My WP8 phone is better than your WP8 phone because it has a slightly faster LCD response time".

"My WP8 phone is better than your WP8 phone because it is has a BEATS AUDIO built into it."

"My WP8 phone is better than your WP8 phone because it is has a significantly better camera."

GET A GRIP. These are comparatively minor differences! They are both valid options! But claiming, "well, on Mars, my Lumia 920 weighs less than your Earthbound HTC 8X" or "my registered-blind aunt can't tell the difference between photographs taken on the 8X to the 920 anyway" might both be true but are counter-productive when we should ALL be recognising/*****ing about the things that could ACTUALLY BE IMPROVED about the WP8 platform generally!

I've owned my WP8 phone for all of four days and I love it to tiny little pieces already -- but I'm not blind to a few incredibly obvious areas of improvement, e.g. battery management, sound/volume management, the notification system (or rather "lack thereof"), 3rd-party crapplications and obtuse settings, etc.

This should be a lot more fun than attempting to seek validation regarding our specific expensive hardware purchases, when we can all agree on the rough edges regardless of what we're actually running the OS on.

Koekjes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting for the 920 for months, but then I saw the 8x in a store and I fell in love with that phone. Sure, it has nothing to do with specs or whatever, it's just the looks that made me buy it. Since the 920 is not yet released here, I can't give an opinion on that phone. Nokia surely missed the chance of selling me a phone though, because they wait so long to release the phone here.

Anyway I have the 8X now for a week and I still love it. It's light, I love the blue color, it's fast, the 4.3 inch screen is perfect for me. I was always a happy HTC user (my last 3 phones were HTC phones), so that might also have been a reason not to wait for the Nokia. I use phones mainly for calling, reading email and following social media, so specs about camera's, music and storage are a bit wasted on me.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
....but most people take photos in decently lit places
Do you have evidence for this? Because Nokia's own internals show that most people take photos after work, in the evening when people are out with friends, family and co-workers. That was the whole point of doing PureView 2, to concentrate on low-light photography because most photos are taken (or they want to take them) in adverse conditions,

For the record, while the 8X is a decent phone and has a lot going for it, I grab the Lumia 920 each and every time I head out the door. It's not even a contest for my preference.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The size and weight of the 8X make it more comfortable to hold and use with one hand.

Agreed, though the 920 isn't bad, I was surprised to find that it's actually easier to hold than my 900 due to the shape.

Despite what some reviews say, the 8X has a better screen. The pixel density is higher and it doesn't have any awful coatings on it.

The pixel density isn't different enough to be perceptible. I think the 8X has an AMOLED screen though, if so I agree that looks better. The 920 does not have any "screen coatings" on it that the 8X doesn't have. They use the same oleophobic coating everyone else does.

The 920's ClearBlack display coating may give it slightly better blacks, but it hurts clarity a bit and gives the screen an annoying shimmery quality.

ClearBlack is not a coating. It's a form of polarization INSIDE the screen which keeps light hitting the screen from reflecting back out at your eyes, thereby making the screen much easier to view in sunlight, and it works quite well.

The 920 screen is also too warm and distorts colors at certain angles more than the 8X screen does.

Can't comment on this. Maybe you're right.

And the 920's PureMotion aspect is nothing but marketing. The 8X's display has a 60 Hz refresh rate too. That's standard stuff. The 8X operates just as smoothly.

No, PureMotion is not just the refresh rate, it's also the response time, which is about 2-3 times faster than any other phone and a number of other things.

The 5 Coolest Things about Nokia's PureMotion HD+ Display Technology

Overall, the 8X has a better camera as well. There, I said it. The 920 certainly takes better low light pictures and videos, but most people take photos in decently lit places and the 8X just takes way better pictures in normal lighting.

Have a look at the 920 pictures thread and then compare those pics to the 8X picture thread, then tell me that.

The 8X has the standard Windows Phone Maps app. Be thankful. You can't access it on the 920 and Nokia Maps isn't up to snuff yet. Just look here: Nokia Maps is a giant step backwards - Windows Phone Central Forums

The Windows Phone maps app is based on the same Nokia/NAVTEQ technology as Nokia Maps. On behalf of Nokia, you're welcome.

Yes, Nokia's app selection is pretty nice and definitely better than what HTC offers, but if price wasn't a factor, I still would choose the 8X over the 920. As it stands, I will be skipping this round of Windows phones for now. I feel the 8X is just too expensive compared to the 920 and Windows Phone still has some issues that need to be worked out.

Fair enough.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have evidence for this? Because Nokia's own internals show that most people take photos after work, in the evening when people are out with friends, family and co-workers. That was the whole point of doing PureView 2, to concentrate on low-light photography because most photos are taken (or they want to take them) in adverse conditions,

For the record, while the 8X is a decent phone and has a lot going for it, I grab the Lumia 920 each and every time I head out the door. It's not even a contest for my preference.

The Chief has spoken - End of discussion

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
From the wannabe chief of HTC central?

Hmm right... I have not said anything that wasn't fact or my own opinion and last time checked i am not the editor of the site who is supposed to be more neutral and subjective. So we are all supposed to agree with whatever the editor writes.. Strange.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm right... I have not said anything that wasn't fact or my own opinion and last time checked i am not the editor of the site who is supposed to be more neutral and subjective. So we are all supposed to agree with whatever the editor writes.. Strange.

My comments were only meant to bring a little levity to the thread - was all getting a bit too serious - need Villain to put his avatar up Why so serious??

chicubs1908

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, it is rather odd that WPCentral hasn't done a HTC 8x review yet or, better yet, a proper head-to-head versus the Lumia 920 (even though its clear who would win in their minds). One would think that the premier Windows Phone website would get the review done....The excuse of wanting to spend more time with the device has long passed. That being said, this is a fan-blog and it's not like the editors are making the big bucks. Grateful for what coverage we get.

After using both devices, I went ahead and ordered the HTC 8x. Pretty much, the Lumia 920 is certainly a more capable phone, but the form factor/thickness/overly sharp corners really does it make it rather cumbersome. There are a good deal people out there who don't wear baggy pants all day every day or carry a purse around, so the 8x makes sense from a pure physical standpoint.

The much-criticized editors of the Verge, Gizmodo, etc certainly do have a point about the 920 (although I thick weight is less of an issue but rather the overall form factor).. It could indeed be a disastrous choice on Nokia's part to opt for a thicker and wider body for the 920 in the end because its form factor is obviously the first thing people notice when they handle it in-stores. I certainly hope it doesn't because I do love the 920 (and Windows Phone) and as a previous user posted, it does best the 8x in pretty much every quality besides shape/weight/size/form factor/design/etc.

That all being said, I am admittedly being very shallow by going for the 8x and maybe its just my heart talking and not my brain, but for the way I use my phone, I do need a more pocketable and hand-friendly device.

SRRAE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find it strange people saying the 8x has a better camera. I have taken about two dozen photographs in different conditions and not 1 has come out in focus.
My Omnia 7 is way better at taking photographs than my 8x

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I find it strange people saying the 8x has a better camera. I have taken about two dozen photographs in different conditions and not 1 has come out in focus.
My Omnia 7 is way better at taking photographs than my 8x

Again, compare the photos in the 8X picture thread to the ones in the 920 picture thread.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe how few 920 owners notice the shimmery, grainy quality of its screen. It's subtle, but perceptible. I'm not sure if it's the PureBlack polarization or the oleophobic coating, but the 8X doesn't have the issue. Maybe my eyes are too good for my own good or I've just been spoiled by owning a One X and iPhone 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077