Battery tricks and tips for the HTC 8X

ndonnine

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
@Landshark
You must have been under a rock for a long time... Who uses all that junk anyway? It's a list of things that some people didn't even know was on their phone using battery... that the person probably wasn't using. I've never seen a phone out of the box with everything syncing last more than a day.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Have had my Verizon 8x for 2 days now. Battery life is great with it lasting 8-12 hours with heavy-moderate usage and apps running in the background. When I would put it on the charger the battery would be between 23% and 40%. So far so good.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Migrate to Outlook.com from Hotmail.com... Very easy... When you are in Hotmail. check under settings (to the right) there should be an option called, "Move your account to Outlook.com" click on it, confirm, you're done. Takes 10 seconds.

ecceau

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the list! I wasn't aware of the fact, that wifi is turned off when locking the phone. So I wondered why my push-notifications didn't arrive me, while I am at home with only wifi switched on! Thanks man, this made my day!

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't do most of this crazy ****, I kept most of the stuff "on" - and yet I get similar great battery life. So what's the point of this insanity again?

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have "Tap To Send" turned off, but I have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all the time.
A normal day consists of about an hour of MP3s with the speaker, a couple calls, a few texts, a couple rounds of Wheel Of Wealth, and maybe an update or Store download.
I've been averaging 3.xx% of drain per hour.
I take my phone off the charger at about 7AM and I'm usually somewhere in the 50% area at 11PM.
Now, if I play a game (I don't care if it's Wordament or Minesweeper), the battery drains very quickly.
Yesterday, I spend a couple hours looking at web sites and the battery was closer to 25%, when I went to bed.
So, it just depends on what you do.
If you use it as a phone, the battery lasts pretty well.
If you use it as a computer, it doesn't.
Hehehe...
JJ

subkamran

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have an 8X and had pretty poor battery the first couple days, possibly due to enabling everything and using it a ton (obviously that would cause issues).

I followed most of these tips but didn't do a few of them.

1. You don't need to close every app. In WP8, apps are suspended which means they use NO RESOURCES. Push notifications are separate and are managed by the OS. See this thread for more details: Is there a way to quickly close an app? - Microsoft Community

2. I left location on, since I use it a lot and it's off unless I actually need it.

3. I decreased mail delivery but not a ton.

4. Some of the tips are a bit extreme. Following many of them will help, but don't go overboard.

Lorijust

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi thank you for the great tips. I just got an HTC windows 8 and I am still trying to get a handle on it. On my other phones I was able to set up my text message alert to go off periodically. Do you know if this can be done on the windows 8 phone. I tried searching online and on the windows website but have not found anything on this. Thank you,
lorijust

Alan Rahimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
hello i just bought my htc 8x and i like it but i charged it for 13.5hours and i was thinking if this is appropriate, and the battery now is just draining without doing anything on it and all my setting are off and brightness is low, please tell me if i did it wrong or not.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Updated Battery Tips to Rev.6 to account for Portico and other little things.
I remember when this post was at 2000 views... over 20000 now... WOW... I hope I helped many here!

Last edited:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Added a good piece of info on how to calibrate the battery charged counter on the 8X. See: Point 27. Info was provided by HTC Europe via PocketPc.ch

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I can indeed confirm that Skype being installed had a direct correlation with the temperature of my phone and therefore battery life.

This is wrong. Ignore this.

Last edited:

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I've already change my galaxy ace by a htc 8x.

I have 2 questions:

1.Whatsapp "drinks" literally the battery, is it normal?

2. My so version is: 8.0.9903.10 and the firmware version: 1532.20.10003.207
I supose its neccesary upgrade it.

Sorry, its my second smartphone and my first wp, and I have lot of doubts.

Thanks.

GearDoGi

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
When i first bought HTC 8x i realy thought that is was defective but after a little search on Google and seeing tha many other people have the same issues i thought that Htc couldn't being releasing so many defective 8xs. So after many hours of searching the web and talking with a friend that is a programmer i found out that
the main issue comes for the programming of the OS (must be very buggy to create overheating and battery drain issues) and the programming of the apps,developers not only need to port the apps from iTunes and GooglePlay to WPstore but they need to realise that they must optimize them to run perfectly on WP OS.There are games (like shark dash) or apps (like whatsapp) that can easily kill the battery and overheat your phone in less tha 3 hrs.
So we only can hope that Microsoft and app/games devs can update asap their software!

ElRayRay

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

I know for sure that I have duplicated my primary account, and I don't know if this is causing
my phone's battery to drain app. 20% per hour...How can I delete one of them and what can I do to improve the battery's performance?
Any answers would be great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99