Just picked up my 8X... Anyone getting wireless chargers?

Ryan32

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up my 8X last night... I'm so happy to be back on WP after spending 1.5 months on an iPhone 5. I honestly don't see why people love iPhone so much, but hey I gave it a try.

Anyway, my Verizon store was actually pushing Nokia wireless chargers with the 8X's. I was set to get one, but they actually didn't have any in stock. Does anyone know when they are expected in stock or for sale?

They also had a JBL speaker for sale. Sound quality was really good, and you just drop the phone on top to charge. It syncs to the phone via bluetooth I believe. I was wondering if there would be alarm apps that would start playing music right through the speaker... It'd be amazing if snooze/disable was simply picking the phone up off the speaker.

Here is the link: JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia - Nokia

Anyway, i'm loving the 8X so far... I just wish I could get my hands on these damn wireless chargers! As much as I thought it would be a gimmick, having seen them in person made me realize just how convenient it is not to worry about a plug.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I saw the JBL speakers and an 8x charging on the Nokia pad at the Verizon store yesterday. One concern I had is how much slower charging might be using wireless versus USB port.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if there would be alarm apps that would start playing music right through the speaker... It'd be amazing if snooze/disable was simply picking the phone up off the speaker.
You just blew my mind

I picked up my 8x last night and couldn't get a wireless charger either the Rep seemed confused that they didn't have any I'm gonna try again today hopefully they'll get a shipment in.

Ryan32

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I saw the JBL speakers and an 8x charging on the Nokia pad at the Verizon store yesterday. One concern I had is how much slower charging might be using wireless versus USB port.

I was kind of curious about that myself... However my intended use is more of a bedstand item, to charge overnight as I sleep type of thing... So I don't know that it would be a deal breaker for me. It may prevent me from putting one in my car if it charges too slow though...

Ryan32

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You just blew my mind

I picked up my 8x last night and couldn't get a wireless charger either the Rep seemed confused that they didn't have any I'm gonna try again today hopefully they'll get a shipment in.

Forgot to mention this, but I actually asked the rep to order me one and have it shipped in... She couldn't. The chargers don't even have a part number in the Verizon system yet according to the rep. That makes me think it may be at least a couple weeks before we see them. :(

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
I just picked up an 8x last night. I ended up purchasing 4 of the Universal charging pads. They are normally $69 but are half off and then I received my 25% discount on top of that. I found these pads to charge the phone just as fast as micro usb. The Nokia charger is much more expensive and hard to get, plus I kind of like the fact that the Verizon pad is flat and easier to lay the phone on. The Verizon reps didn't even know about the wireless charging feature on the 8x. They are practically giving away the wireless pads because they didn't sell well before with the LG phones they were selling them with.

isi44

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up an 8x last night. I ended up purchasing 4 of the Universal charging pads. They are normally $69 but are half off and then I received my 25% discount on top of that. I found these pads to charge the phone just as fast as micro usb. The Nokia charger is much more expensive and hard to get, plus I kind of like the fact that the Verizon pad is flat and easier to lay the phone on. The Verizon reps didn't even know about the wireless charging feature on the 8x. They are practically giving away the wireless pads because they didn't sell well before with the LG phones they were selling them with.

I was at my store today and saw the LG pad for $50. Was the 50% off $69 only yesterday?

migespy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I also go the VZW generic charge pad. It does have a nice sleek form to it; however, it has a speaker that is kind of odd. It goes off when you place a phone on it. I was afraid that same speaker would go off when the charge was done in the middle of the night. If it did go off, neither my wife or I heard it. It also has a light that flashes the entire time it's charging. In a dark room it can become bothersome. The nokia charge pad looks clean with no speaker or lights. Wondering if that would be the better buy. Thoughts?

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't get how wireless chargers are any better than plugs... I mean you have to plug the wireless charger in, anyway, don't you? So you're searching for a plug anyway, might as well plug the thing in and get the charging done 25% faster.

However, the wireless speakers seem pretty awesome, not going to lie in that department, but really it's just a fancy "ihome." You could just as easily dock your device in the speaker system.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't get how wireless chargers are any better than plugs... I mean you have to plug the wireless charger in, anyway, don't you? So you're searching for a plug anyway, might as well plug the thing in and get the charging done 25% faster.

However, the wireless speakers seem pretty awesome, not going to lie in that department, but really it's just a fancy "ihome." You could just as easily dock your device in the speaker system.

My wireless charger is on my desk and is always hooked up to power. I just set my phone down and I'm good to go.
Charging with the cord is inconvenient. The cord gets in the way, and if you accidentally grab the cord, your phone could fall off the table and break its usb port or the phone itself.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe for 920 the difference was said to be like.. full charge in 2,5 hours with a cable, 3 hours with wireless charging.

And yeah, for me I'll plug the wireless charger in once and then I won't have to touch it until I move the next time :D So definitely not comparable to have to fish for cables behind the nightstand every night.

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes. You are correct. Reduced to $49, then my 25% discount. I will be taking them back. They charge fine, but the notification beep and the blinking lights are bothersome. I have three of the Nokia pads coming tomorrow, so I will compare the two.

corn_chowder

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the wireless charging provides any less power to the phone vs. traditional micro usb plugin? I'm just curious as to whether or not I should be using the plug in for my first few cycles of the battery.

I picked up one of the LG wireless charging pads, seems to work fine.

GREGH42

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a wireless charger at the Verizon store, but it wasn't the Nokia one. It is a little bit larger- called the "Universal Wireless Charging Pad" and was going for $49 (same price as the Nokia one). I picked it up because the Verizon rep said I could charge two phones on it. It works great with the HTC 8x.

I haven't tried the Lumia 822 on it because they didn't have the charging backs in stock. I don't know if it will simultaneously charge two phones, as I haven't tested that yet. Anyway, it looks pretty nice although it does have some flashing led lights on it that could be annoying if you don't like that sort of thing like some of the others here. (Electrical tape fixes that issue).

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
The mats don't require a charging back for the Nokias, 8x or the new DNA. It is already built in. I found that charging from the pad was only about a 15 minute delay over using microusb.

GREGH42

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The mats don't require a charging back for the Nokias, 8x or the new DNA. It is already built in. I found that charging from the pad was only about a 15 minute delay over using microusb.

Interesting. It's definitely misleading because they claim (in ads) that it supports wireless charging.. but when you buy it, you find out you need the charging cover. Maybe we'll get lucky and a class action lawsuit will get us free charging backs. I'll have to wait 15 minutes and see if it charges on my pad.

Page 16: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/pdf_guides/devices/822/Nokia_Lumia_822_UG_en.pdf

arzvi

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
How do you find the low light photos and comparing the image-stabilization with 920?? Also I'd like to know what music store/deals you get with 8x cos 920 users get life-membership with Nokia music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3