Strange charging issues

aemond

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello Central!

I'm the proud owner of a Californian Blue HTC 8X, international version.
This is an awesome phone and the feeling once in the hands is so good that I don't regret my choice. :)

I'm not impacted by the "reboot" issue, however I have a charging problem...
If my battery is totally discharged (phone shut off), the charging never begins with the classic AC adaptor... it vibrates, but the screen stays black, and then it vibrates again, etc. (infinite loop).
The workaround? I plug the phone to my Surface with the USB cable... and then it charges properly.

Does anyone else have the same issues? I coudn't find any post relative to this after a quick search on the forums...

Thanks in advance for your answers!

(Sent from... my Surface RT, of course :cool:)

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You have a faulty charger, it is not providing enough amps. Try any other USB charger providing 5V 1Amp (5W) or more... you can use a iPhone 4/iPad charger 5V 2Amps, the phone will only draw the power it needs at that level.
Did this work? Help?

aemond

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey Coolknight1968,

Sounds like a good plan! I'll test and let you know. It seems obvious for me now :) but we never know.
(FYI, I'm using the official charger from HTC, but as Expansys sells UK models of the phones in France they give a USB -> AC adaptor... maybe this adaptor is faulty).

Thanks!

TheAccuser

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello Central!

I'm the proud owner of a Californian Blue HTC 8X, international version.
This is an awesome phone and the feeling once in the hands is so good that I don't regret my choice. :)

I saw this same thing happening to the display unit at AT&T the first time I went in to check out the 8x. They didn't have it plugged in and it was completely dead. It took literally 10 minutes to kick on and was doing the vibrating thing too.

I'm not impacted by the "reboot" issue, however I have a charging problem...
If my battery is totally discharged (phone shut off), the charging never begins with the classic AC adaptor... it vibrates, but the screen stays black, and then it vibrates again, etc. (infinite loop).
The workaround? I plug the phone to my Surface with the USB cable... and then it charges properly.

Does anyone else have the same issues? I coudn't find any post relative to this after a quick search on the forums...

Thanks in advance for your answers!

(Sent from... my Surface RT, of course :cool:)

kindacrazy80

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you find when your 8x goes completely dead, it is a real pain to get it to charge and turn back on?
Tonight mine went completely dead, i plugged it in to charge it with the same charger I have been using since I brought it home and all it did was vibrate every few seconds with a black screen. No red light no nothing. I tried another charger, and the white HTC screen came on and then back into the loop again. Finally I dug out the box and used the charger that specifically came with it and boom powered up.
Now, I work for Rogers in Canada and never ever have I had this issue.....
Has it happened to you??

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes this happened to me too. I thought it was some malfunction and fixed the problem switching to the original charger. this phone seems like it takes alot of energy.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Mine will do that loop every now and then while on. I'm guessing the connector might be not on too good as this gas been with several cables.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
What happened to me once was that when my 8X died, I had charged it using computer usb, and I knew it had enough juice since I left it in for like an hour, so I turned it on, while plugged in, and it wouldn't work. It just would never turn on. I remove it, and it worked again. It was strange :/. Rogers Canada phone also btw!

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: 8x Charging issue??

When my battery is dead and I plug the phone, it turns on by itself when it reaches the critical battery level for turning on - there is no need to turn it on manually.

AndyPT

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I've just had a similar problem with HTC 8X:
?No initial battery;
?Plugged in the charger;
?Red LED started blinking
?Vibration every 5-10 seconds
?Will not turn screen on (no HTC or WP logo)

No hard reset or anything like that is needed (I actually tried it but there wasn't enough battery).

The answer was simple but stupid: TRY A DIFFERENT CHARGER OR A DIFFERENT CABLE.

I was using the original charger with a cheap cable (they all look the same and charge the phone slower if there's battery, which is ok, but not for an initial charge).
You need a 1000 mA changer with a suitable cable for the initial charge. Also, USB connection to computer is not enough, and 1000mA iPhone chargers work differently so they probably won't work.

Sensor information:
? It vibrates because it's not getting enough current (bad charger or cable);
? It blinks the red LED when the battery is too low to power on.
? No vibration and blinking red LED when it's using a proper charger. It may take up to 5 minutes for the phone to start (HTC logo).

Hope it helps.

SM3LZ

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Iv had this twice. Iv noticed that some times my phones charger port need cleaning out. Little bits of dirt get stuck in there. Iv cleaned it out and now its fine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3