8X Maps

schartzr

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
SO question. I was using the navigation on my phone today and it would not talk to me. everything I tried it wouldn't talk like it did in my trophy. Any idea what I might be doing wrong or how I can make this work?

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Interested in this as well! If the 8X truly does not have Turn-By-Turn navigation with voice like Android phones, then I'll probably just get the Note II. That is a real deal-breaker there.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Why is it a deal breaker if you can simply go into the store and get a voice GPS app that is better than the error prone one in Android (I know whereof I speak - it has an occasional bug with telling you to turn 180 degrees in the wrong direction).

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The 8X comes with Nokia Maps, but not Nokia Drive. You will have to download a 3rd party Navigation App with Voice if you want true Voice Guided turn by turn.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Interested in this as well! If the 8X truly does not have Turn-By-Turn navigation with voice like Android phones, then I'll probably just get the Note II. That is a real deal-breaker there.

Then get a Lumia. On AT&T? Get the 920. T-Mobile? Get the 810. Verizon? Get the 822. All lumias have Nokia drive+.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The Navigon app is from Garmin (they bought Navigon) and even has an augmented reality mode like City Lens on the Nokia. I highly recommend it.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I thought it has Bing Maps, which is powered by Nokia Maps?

You are correct. And Turn by Turn is the same as WP7. Just with better maps now. Still requires you to press the screen. Which i dont mind.

That said - there are some good apps out there. Navigon is great...but also 50 bucks.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
SO question. I was using the navigation on my phone today and it would not talk to me. everything I tried it wouldn't talk like it did in my trophy. Any idea what I might be doing wrong or how I can make this work?

One of the initial differentiators between the 920 and the 8X is the 920 has access to the Nokia Drive+ Beta app which has turn by turn navigation with audio prompts. Regular Maps doesn't have the audio prompts.

However, Nokia Drive will be available to all WP8 phones once Nokia Drive goes out of Beta status. Drive+ will still be exclusive to Nokia devices but turn-by-turn with audio navigation will be there with Drive along with off-line maps, etc.

How Nokia will differentiate with location-based services – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

So if you are willing to wait a little while it will be available on the 8X.

If you are impatient there is always Navigon:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/navigon-usa/f7a3b10b-302f-49b2-92ae-b77a7392789e

Last edited:

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
This is a question I have been having for a while now. So....

1. The 8x, to be clear, uses the regular Windows Phone maps app (utilizing the Nokia Maps engine) and does the app show up in the app list?

2. It provide directions, but they aren't voice guided, true?

3. If I wanted voice guided directions, I would have to get a third party app? (Currently I switch between the stock Maps app and Garmin Streetpilot on my Trophy).

4. This is an unrelated question, but one that I've been wondering for a while. Currently, my Trophy, when swiping to the left to get to the app list, has a "jump to" feature, so to speak, so instead of just scrolling to find the app that I want, I could jump to the first letter of the app that I want to find. This is similar to what you would find in the music app and in the contacts. Is this available on the 8x? I've always found it confusing that this only shows up on some phones where on other WP devices, it doesn't. And if it doesn't show up automatically, is there a way to enable it? This is a feature that I find highly useful as opposed to having to scroll all the way through a large list of apps to find something I'm looking for (and yes, I know the search magnifying glass is there, but still).

Thanks

Stephen570

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Turn by Turn is the same as WP7. Just with better maps now. Still requires you to press the screen. Which i dont mind.

The press to read directions functionality is gone in WP8. Tapping in Maps/Directions view switches to a full screen map instead of reading the next direction. The "Read directions aloud when tapping" option is no longer in Maps settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss