Tethering on Unlimited Plan - Verizon

pulseOXE

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, I just recently picked up my HTC 8X on Verizon, and was fortunate enough to keep my Unlimited Data plan, but am currently having second thoughts about switching to a different option. I am looking for a way to tether, but am unable to figure out a workaround. I know there is a way on the HTC Trophy, but those settings are un-editable on the 8X, and pertain to the 3G server anyway. Are there any known workarounds, or hopes of workarounds, or do I need to switch to a capped data plan with hotspot to take advantage of tethering?

Thanks!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd be interested in an answer to this. I'm looking at getting the 8X, but love my unlimited data plan and free Trophy tethering.

migespy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This was also my issue coming from rooted GNex. I knew it may not happen soon, but someone will figure out how to enable tethering. It is a difficult feature to let go of; however, I made the decision knowing full well that I may never get that back. Tethering is free if you have a capped family share plan, but it cost $30 / month for an unlimited plan, and you get capped on you wifi hotspot. Verizon knows we aren't going anywhere since they have the most reliable network and the largest LTE area. They have the power rather than us the consumer.

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd be interested in an answer to this. I'm looking at getting the 8X, but love my unlimited data plan and free Trophy tethering.

Free Trhopy tethering on VZ? When i try to turn it on it asks be to upgrade to eligible VZ plan. Thats the only thing i miss about Droid, side loaded apps. As long as i didn't go crazy with data VZ didn't seem to care about tethering through 3rd party apps.

I'm switching too for tethering. I rarely go over 1GB so 2GB should be plenty. I'm on Wifi at home & work 90% of the time.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Free Trhopy tethering on VZ? When i try to turn it on it asks be to upgrade to eligible VZ plan. Thats the only thing i miss about Droid, side loaded apps. As long as i didn't go crazy with data VZ didn't seem to care about tethering through 3rd party apps.

I'm switching too for tethering. I rarely go over 1GB so 2GB should be plenty. I'm on Wifi at home & work 90% of the time.

Correct. There's a thread here about how to do it. I've been doing it for a while now and it truly is free and works. No app needed. It is 3G speed, but when you need it, and can't connect any other way, it's a GODSEND!

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. Wish i knew about this more than 2 weeks before getting new phone. haha. I used to have something like this with my OG droid and it;s so useful in a pinch. Especially now that i have a Surface

scottd34

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The 2gb/$20 hotspot plan should be available for people still on unlimited data, can set it up right through my verizon without having to call or go to a store.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I was pretty sure that the "free tether mod" wouldn't work for LTE and it appears to be confirmed here. I ran in to the same thing on an buddies droid (HTC) where the same settings for 3G either didn't exists or didn't have any affect. So it looks like for Wi-Fi hotspot functionality we're at VZW's mercy. This didn't really matter to me, between 3 phones with unlimited data I've averaged only .48GB/month and I use my phone as a mobile hotspot regularly but only to browse the web with my tablet. So I moved to a shared 6GB plan and actually save a small amount of money personally (feature phone folks take a big hit, I had two of them that will drop from my plan since they went from $9.99/mo to $30/mo). I'll worry about my data dependency getting worse with time, and costing more down the road without unlimited data and particularly with faster LTE speeds, but for now it doesn't seem to be an issue as ubiquitous as public WIFI has become so I'm hoping its not the issue that people assume. Have you all looked at your data usage with the unlimited plans and verified that you really need the unlimited data? It really unfortunate that they limit the add on hotspot to 2GB with the unlimited plans or that wouldn't be a bad alternative. That is the benefit of the shared plans, you can share the data. FWIW, on an individual plan, you need minimum $50.00/4GB plan to get the hotspot functionality.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the recap Green. I guess for me, its the security knowing I have it when avail w/o having to pay extra. I guess all things change though and we have to move on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99