State of the HTC 8x and its HORRIBLE battery

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I rebooted my phone earlier after fully charging it and my standby is better. I just saw a movie and the three hours I wasn't using the phone it only dropped 3%.

Still not as good as my IPhone 4 which I'm not using anymore, it only dropped 2% in 10 hours today.

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is horrible. I had it charging and it restart (***wtf???***) and after the boot it as 98%... Not only that I get roughly 1 day battery w/out doing much (I BARELY browsed, talked on it so far).
:/ Any tips?

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I think that there is something wrong with the battery reading software. I can last the full day usually from unplug to get home and charge but it seems to drain faster during the first 50% and slow down to a crawl in the last 50%, which is really weird. I can hit 47% after 5 or 6 hours and then some how magically last until 12 or 1 am with that last 47%. Go figure! lol

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think that there is something wrong with the battery reading software. I can last the full day usually from unplug to get home and charge but it seems to drain faster during the first 50% and slow down to a crawl in the last 50%, which is really weird. I can hit 47% after 5 or 6 hours and then some how magically last until 12 or 1 am with that last 47%. Go figure! lol
Mine drops a lot at night... I had like 41% when I went to sleep, and when I woke up I had abot 15~20 ... So something is wrong for sure. Not to mention the fact my phone is brand new. I've only downloaded 3 apps and that's prtty much it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like this could be a battery issue that HTC should address pronto. Nokia did the same for the Lumia 800, now lets see if HTC will step up to the plate.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Except that there only a tiny number of people saying they have battery issues while everyone else is very happy with the battery life. So to act like this is some urgent HTC/Ms issue is likely overblown.

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
After watching battery graphs over many days I agree 100% with tomatoes11!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
first week my batter life was horrid... after a few drains and full charges my device is getting an above average life with heavy use.

2Blue

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So has anyone gotten any resolution to their bad 8x battery problem?

I've had mine for just over a week now, and it gets extremely hot when either using data or wi-fi to actively browse the internet or MS store. I once saw it go from 100% down to 20% with about 45 minutes of just browser use over wi-fi with everything else turned off. Every time I start up IE or go to the MS Store, it takes about 2 minutes for it to start heating up. After about 5 minutes it's hot enough to fry an egg.

The weird thing is, my wife has the exact same phone, shipped together with mine, same firmware and just about all of the same apps, and hers doesn't get hot at all. Firmware 1532.20.10012.502
I do have a gmail account on mine, and she doesn't. I'm going to try switching it from imap to pop.

I'm starting to think this isn't really a battery problem, but something else.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I've now had my 8X for 2 weeks now and at first I was really concerned because I was experiencing lower than expected battery life. I did a lot of searching for answers and followed some suggestions about turning off services I was using, such as xbox games and music. It didn't seem to make much of a difference, however after the first week was completed my battery life did start to get better. From the sounds of it the battery has to do some conditioning to figure out it's charge state and most people have reported that it takes about a week or two for it to get set. Now that I'm at the end of my first two weeks, my battery life has significantly improved since I first got it. I can easily go a full day of pretty moderate usage and still end up with 40-50% at night where I then plug it in all night. I have read that after the first two weeks you should do a full discharge and recharge to calibrate the battery, so I might give that a try this weekend and see if that helps any more.

daverath

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I had a horrible battery that is now GREAT... read below for what I did and my theories.

I used to easily get 16+hours on my battery with it being around 30% when I plugged it in at night. Earlier this week, it suddenly started dropping really fast. It would die in 6 hours of sitting with the screen off. I had a few different theories about why it was so bad so I thought about what had happened around the time of the change. I didn't know exactly when the battery went bad, but around that time I...
- Got and started using nokia's wireless charger
- Updated Attentive Phone from HTC
- Installed Outsider and Outsider Extras apps

So the corrective measures I took were...
- Ran the battery dead to make sure it was calibrated right (it died within 10 minutes of saying 0% so it wasn't exact, but close enough to show the battery was low)
- Turned off attentive phone features
- Changed brightness from automatic to medium
- uninstalled Outsider and Outsider Extras (didn't use them anyways)

Now my battery is great. Look at the difference between before it died and after it died. The drop in battery before it died was with the screen turned off.

wp_ss_20121206_0001.png

fullcircle_bflo

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Im going to take a number of screen shots with Battery Level for WP8 over the next day or so and post them here so that you can get an idea of what my battery life looks like. I am just about to finish the first week with my device and at this point I can get from 5pm when I leave work til 8am the next morning on a charge(around 30% left). This was with NFC on as well. Hopefully turning NFC off will help even more.

2Blue

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
sportrckr and daverath-

Where your phones also getting extremely hot when using data?

My battery life seems decent and is getting better. It's this overheating that worries me. Does it go away too?

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Have you had a 4G device before? I have found that less than full 4G strength sucks the life out of 4G devices. Also found that using WiFi seems to extend life. I apologize if you already knew these things.

daverath

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
2Blue- when my battery was draining way too fast, the phone was almost always warm. It wasn't painful to hold, but warm enough to feel it's heat on my leg when it was in my pocket. It's at room temp now while idling.

I'm concerned it was because of attentive phone that it was performing so poorly. Either that, or there was some background process sapping the battery that wasn't killed until I reset the device. Actually, it was more likely the latter since I don't hear other people having such issues with attentive phone.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
2Blue - When the battery was draining abnormally fast I would notice a little more heat, but not enough to make me all that concerned about it. Coming from a Palm Pre, I was used to phones getting hot without too much problem.

I did want to also mention that I performed the same steps that daverath did, turned off attentive phone and set my brightness to a static medium. I also turned NFC off since I don't use it.

2Blue

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

This is my first LTE/4G phone, and I am aware that it works harder with poor reception. But even when turning LTE off, it still gets way to hot.

I suppose I'll have to call AT&T. Is their Customer Care and Tech Support number the best one to use?
My 14 days is up on Saturday, does a phone exchange normally have to be done before then?

thanks-

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for about a week now and I must say the batter lasts better than my HD7 did. I am alway on IE, the chive, texting, watch a few videos, few games.

Last edited:

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I got mine a couple days ago and I just hit 24 hours on charge with about 20% left still. My biggest concern jumping over from my GS3 to this phone was battery life, but it seems just fine if not better in some respects than my GS3. No complaints here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss