Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Quote Originally Posted by -Scienide- View Post
    I got mine on the 2nd November? I demand a prize! hehe, only messing.. about the prize anyway!
    LOL. Ordered mine on the 2nd, but couldnt touch until the evening of the 5th...damn weekends.
    Device: O2 Nokia Lumia 1520

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I got lucky. My girlfriend drove 15 miles to collect the only one they had at Phones4U in the next town. It was there when I got home. What a star.
    - Dubstep, Reggae, Drum & Bass, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Breaks, Ska & more.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ditched my iPhone 4S for the HTC 8X... No regrets!

Got mine on the 2nd as well :) mt local O2 just got the batch in (so much that they didn't even unbox them).
    Mine also has the black-ish corners but not that fussed about them (I had an iphone for 3 years, looks don't phase me), I've just picked up that official hard shell from phones4u. It's pretty good, shame it's a smooth plastic, I can see if slipping out of my hand as opposed to the rubber-ish back on the phone.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Damn, never had the black corner problem with mine. It's been great so far. Wicked phone.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Jones View Post
    Got mine on the 2nd as well :) mt local O2 just got the batch in (so much that they didn't even unbox them).
    Mine also has the black-ish corners but not that fussed about them (I had an iphone for 3 years, looks don't phase me), I've just picked up that official hard shell from phones4u. It's pretty good, shame it's a smooth plastic, I can see if slipping out of my hand as opposed to the rubber-ish back on the phone.
    I was supposed to be leaving this discussion. Oh well.

Yes the phone is a bit slippery with the case. I have to wonder if we have now turned the phone into a chunky semi-glossy Lumia. At least if the phone slips out of your hand it would be protected...

In all seriousness does anyone have a good way of cleaning the corners up? I'm not one for cases!

Quote Originally Posted by Blair McGregor View Post
    In all seriousness does anyone have a good way of cleaning the corners up? I'm not one for cases!
    I don't think the black marks come off and I've given up trying to clean it off. It's as if it's embedded into the surface, or the surface has come off.

If anyone has success let us know!

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baygacon View Post
    I don't think the black marks come off and I've given up trying to clean it off. It's as if it's embedded into the surface, or the surface has come off.

If anyone has success let us know!
    have you tried a pencil eraser or automotive clay bar?

I'm not a fan of soft touch surfaces either because it's not a matter of if they will wear off, but rather WHEN they will wear off.

There is someone working on ultra thin 3d printed cases for our devices. He should be receiving the test shipment soon. (Custom case project for my TMO 8X)

I asked him about a full back covering for me in metal if that's your thing. it's going to be heavier, thicker, and more expensive than plastic, but it should look pretty cool ;)

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Wtf... 2 days with my blue 8X and my corners are already starting to get that sh*tty dirt.

So after reading all the posts, you all are set set cases being the best option for this. I really like the 8X the way it is :/ So much for finally getting a great looking phone that doesn't need a case.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    small but weird problem... its due to the rubber coating. I have no streaks but all four corners are dingy looking from being in my black dress pants.

on a postivie... this device seems to repel finger prints

Metal will likely de-tune your antennas and hurt reception.

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    small but weird problem... its due to the rubber coating. I have no streaks but all four corners are dingy looking from being in my black dress pants.

on a postivie... this device seems to repel finger prints
    Yup, if not from water, definitely something liquid based. Clothing dye, moisturizer, or hand sanitizer etc.

So far no dirt on my 8X. I had some finger prints but they've been wiped awat by a wet cloth.
    :)
    Here a couple of picks of mine... I have been using the blue one for 4 weeks, the black one for 3 weeks... I think, that the best way to clean the blue one is with a soft moist cloth, no excess water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag0017-small.jpg   imag0015-small.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tofu. View Post
    have you tried a pencil eraser or automotive clay bar?
    Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately no luck. I'm surprised that HTC didn't pick up on this during their design phase.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baygacon View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately no luck. I'm surprised that HTC didn't pick up on this during their design phase.
    Yeah but I think its not part of the intended design that made it through. As we've seen in this thread, my phone especially, that these phones can go through some serious dirt and grime and not get remotely dirty. My opinion is that it has to be a bad batch that got through somehow.

I am now on my third 8X in a week. After a few days of use the phone developes a blackening in the front top right corner of the phone and it gets larger as well. I have contacted HTC about this and they said something about a LCM leak which is some sort of liquid. This is a real shame as this is truly the phone I want but the blue with a black blotch in the corner of the phone is not what I had in mind. There also seems to be a very thin black line going down the right side underneath the casing as well. It almost looks as if it is some sort of element that's heating up and causing the blackening affect but the phone is not getting hot. I have checked several ATT stores to see if their display models have the same issue and they do not. Given the length of time it took for ATT to even get their 8X 16GB in stock, I wonder if this is a bad batch. Any thoughts out there?

Quote Originally Posted by llemaire View Post
    I am now on my third 8X in a week. After a few days of use the phone developes a blackening in the front top right corner of the phone and it gets larger as well. I have contacted HTC about this and they said something about a LCM leak which is some sort of liquid. This is a real shame as this is truly the phone I want but the blue with a black blotch in the corner of the phone is not what I had in mind. There also seems to be a very thin black line going down the right side underneath the casing as well. It almost looks as if it is some sort of element that's heating up and causing the blackening affect but the phone is not getting hot. I have checked several ATT stores to see if their display models have the same issue and they do not. Given the length of time it took for ATT to even get their 8X 16GB in stock, I wonder if this is a bad batch. Any thoughts out there?
    I think it is a "bad" batch. Got mine from Orange EU (they had them all replaced due a Sensor Bug though) and it is as clean as it was on the day I bought it.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    a "leak"?

the only thing in there that could be leaking is the battery. That doesnt sound very healthy...

That leak doesn't sound too good :/ At least it explains where it's coming from (rather than it being dirt). Hopefully HTC make an official statement about it?

My double shock case now has the same issue (on the corners only) from being in my work coat pocket. Must be damn dirty in there!

The edges of this case is rubber, hence why the grime is sticking.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    I only have dingy corners, the rest of the device is spotless.... pretty sure the dingy corners are from being in black dress pants at work.

img_0311.jpg
    Maybe the paint of the clothing soaks into the very thin rubber coating of the phone. The one that makes it so nice to touch.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    yeah Im pretty sure thats the problem... anything else wipes off the device easy. kinda wish they made a verson without the soft coating.

Mines being replaced today for other reasons though

I have been talking with HTC and their engineers are trying to determine what exactly the issue is. I can say one thing about HTC. They got back to me within hours of this happening and I spoke to them yesterday. On a Sunday no less. I have had numerous dealings with Apple who has a tendency to be in denial but I can tell you that HTC is different and I think HTC will get this right. I had a 8X two days after launch and like an ***** I returned it for a iPhone 5. Really started to regret that move within a week and went back to the 8X which was their second batch that went out to AT&T. This problem started showing up within 36 hours on the last three phones I have had but the first one I got right after launch showed no signs of this problem so I believe this to be a bad batch. It would be interesting to know how many of you bought yours around launch day versus how many of you bought yours within say the last week or so.
    Last edited by llemaire; 12-03-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast