Phone getting dirty

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to say that I've had my HTC 8X in that Bluey purple colour for 23 days and its been in an out of my jeans pocket every day. Its been handled by a 4 year old with grubby hands. Its been on carpet, tables, work benches at work where I have black hands all day and its spotless.

I have no idea why yours are streaking and turning black. Its really odd.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to say that I've had my HTC 8X in that Bluey purple colour for 23 days and its been in an out of my jeans pocket every day. Its been handled by a 4 year old with grubby hands. Its been on carpet, tables, work benches at work where I have black hands all day and its spotless.

Thanks for your input. Making me jealous :( LOL

What can I say? Stumped...

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Water. The great mild solvent and the key to most chemical processes in the human ecosystem. My guess is that they just leave it in their jeans pocket or jacket pocket long enough that their pockets get a little damp from say walking to work on a rainy day or standing outside and smoking or something.

That would definitely do it. Wet pockets.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Water. The great mild solvent and the key to most chemical processes in the human ecosystem. My guess is that they just leave it in their jeans pocket or jacket pocket long enough that their pockets get a little damp from say walking to work on a rainy day or standing outside and smoking or something.

You could be right. Weather has been crap given the time of year in UK. Either way, if i cannot clean with magic eraser stuff, the phone with remain shrink-wrapped in the double shock case until October 2014. :)

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

You could be right. Weather has been crap given the time of year in UK. Either way, if i cannot clean with magic eraser stuff, the phone with remain shrink-wrapped in the double shock case until October 2014. :)

Although I agree that water is the obvious culprit I can sort of dismiss that as well. Firstly, I'm in the UK as well and the weather has been shocking. Raining heavy for over a week now. Secondly, I'm a forklift driver in a warehouse. I drive the forklifts indoors and outdoors. I get soaked. My phone is in my wet denim pocket and still no staining, no black corners. Nothing. Its really odd.

The only thing I can suggest is that there are differences between certain batches on the production line. Or that maybe there are several factories making the phones and some have different techniques. I'm clutching at straws here but mine is honestly looking the same as the day I got it. If it ever picks up any dirt from my hand it always just rubs off again. Never stains. Not like those photos in the first post. That looks awful.

I don't use a case by the way. Just to be clear.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
These are not great photos but I thought I'd show you anyway. Its a bit dark here so I had to use the flash and they haven't come out very well. You get the idea though. No black corners or marks. Nothing. In the top down photo you can see what looks like a bit of a scratch or mark on the back of the phone but it isn't. Just rubbed it off. Its my kids sticky hands leaving marks lol.

SAM_1179.JPGSAM_1180.JPGSAM_1181.JPGSAM_1182.JPGSAM_1183.JPGSAM_1184.JPG

Darren Powell2

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
To chip in:

My blue 8x has also developed 'black corner' syndrome despite being well looked after, and gentle handled. I have had it for 16 days. All attempts to clean it with a mild detergent have been futile.

I just rang HTC support and when i mentioned the staining plus the random reboots they said take it back to the shop for a replacement with no fuss. I tried to push for more information, e..g is the discoloration limited to specific batches, there was no comment. When i asked about plans to fix/address the widely reported reboots, i was told that a Microsoft update should be available, but an update check on my phone reveals nothing new.

I am really tied on what to do. I really like the 8X, but this experience has tainted it for me, plus i miss certain Nokia exclusive apps from my WP7 phone. However the Nokia 920 is too big /heavy, and the 820 is hampered by a low resolution screen and i don;t think the main camera is as good as the 8x.

Any thoughts?

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
To chip in:

My blue 8x has also developed 'black corner' syndrome despite being well looked after, and gentle handled. I have had it for 16 days. All attempts to clean it with a mild detergent have been futile.

I just rang HTC support and when i mentioned the staining plus the random reboots they said take it back to the shop for a replacement with no fuss. I tried to push for more information, e..g is the discoloration limited to specific batches, there was no comment. When i asked about plans to fix/address the widely reported reboots, i was told that a Microsoft update should be available, but an update check on my phone reveals nothing new.

I am really tied on what to do. I really like the 8X, but this experience has tainted it for me, plus i miss certain Nokia exclusive apps from my WP7 phone. However the Nokia 920 is too big /heavy, and the 820 is hampered by a low resolution screen and i don;t think the main camera is as good as the 8x.

Any thoughts?

Regarding the rebooting issue, for me it is very intermittent. I can go days without a problem, then a day of a few reboots. As long as the issue remains that "minor", I can wait for the update.

Concerning the subject of this thread, I have a double shock case which looks great. However, before ordering the case, I ordered this: 10 MagiSponge Magic Eraser. Removes tough stains & marks, smudge with just water. Certified Quality.: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home. When go home, I will try and clean the phone. If it doesn't work, I will not cry about it, as the case will be staying on. If it does work, then perhaps I wasted money buying a case.

Either way I will report back.

About Nokia and the exclusive apps, I never had a Nokia, so not missing anything. Well, apart from Turn-by-turn. Truth be told, I say that I am missing turn-by-turn, but I wont need to use it for a long while. Normally I only need turn-by-turn when going on long family trips. Before HTC Locations was updated for WP7, Google Maps on my wife's Android device served us well.

P.S. What country are you located, and when did you receive your phone?

Darren Powell2

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Firstly thanks for the responses!

I bought my 8x in the UK on the 16th Nov, so one of the first batches i guess. My phone has never rebooted whilst i have been using it, luckily, and only first become aware when it buzzed one time when in my back pocket and i found it was rebooting. I have since wondered how many times a day does it do this without me realizing. The odd occasional reboot does not concern me that much as i appreciate that every new platform will have some teething problems.

I think i will exchange it for another 8X. My preference would be another blue, but i may end up playing safe and buying a black. Either way i would definitely not buy a light colour model such as the yellow. I am no longer sure what the long term durability of the soft touch coating will be like, even if i got an 'affected' blue replacement that did not go black within 2 weeks. Although i am impressed at how could a fit the official case is, it still feels wrong to cover such a sexy phone in plastic! It will be interesting to see how your magic eraser works, morpheus.

Are there any other HTC products on the market that use this soft touch coating and how durable they have been?

Finally, the Nokia Apps i miss are Drive and Music, and have been using other WP7 apps as a stopgap. Regardless of any specific apps it is Nokia's commitment to the platform that makes want to me buy another Nokia device. Their ongoing support for the older WP7 devices is exemplary, and it concerns me that we have not heard anything from HTC about how they plan to take the 8X and the platform forwards in the future. They have burnt enough android users with their poor show on os updates, and i hope the same does not happen to their WP8 users.

Cheers

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It got mine on the 5th November.

For the benefit of all. The cleaning product I purchased didn't work, and i am not sure why anyone would use it as is basically a flakey sponge, that cleans nothing.

Anyway, this topic is closed to me. I will continuing enjoy my device in the case, out of the case...it doesn't matter.

Thanks for all your input, see you elsewhere in the forum.

Last edited:

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I got lucky. My girlfriend drove 15 miles to collect the only one they had at Phones4U in the next town. It was there when I got home. What a star.

Trevor Jones

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Got mine on the 2nd as well :) mt local O2 just got the batch in (so much that they didn't even unbox them).
Mine also has the black-ish corners but not that fussed about them (I had an iphone for 3 years, looks don't phase me), I've just picked up that official hard shell from phones4u. It's pretty good, shame it's a smooth plastic, I can see if slipping out of my hand as opposed to the rubber-ish back on the phone.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Got mine on the 2nd as well :) mt local O2 just got the batch in (so much that they didn't even unbox them).
Mine also has the black-ish corners but not that fussed about them (I had an iphone for 3 years, looks don't phase me), I've just picked up that official hard shell from phones4u. It's pretty good, shame it's a smooth plastic, I can see if slipping out of my hand as opposed to the rubber-ish back on the phone.

I was supposed to be leaving this discussion. Oh well.

Yes the phone is a bit slippery with the case. I have to wonder if we have now turned the phone into a chunky semi-glossy Lumia. At least if the phone slips out of your hand it would be protected...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3