Phone getting dirty

baygacon

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In all seriousness does anyone have a good way of cleaning the corners up? I'm not one for cases!

I don't think the black marks come off and I've given up trying to clean it off. It's as if it's embedded into the surface, or the surface has come off.

If anyone has success let us know!

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the black marks come off and I've given up trying to clean it off. It's as if it's embedded into the surface, or the surface has come off.

If anyone has success let us know!

have you tried a pencil eraser or automotive clay bar?

I'm not a fan of soft touch surfaces either because it's not a matter of if they will wear off, but rather WHEN they will wear off.

There is someone working on ultra thin 3d printed cases for our devices. He should be receiving the test shipment soon. (http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/203948-custom-case-project-my-tmo-8x.html)

I asked him about a full back covering for me in metal if that's your thing. it's going to be heavier, thicker, and more expensive than plastic, but it should look pretty cool ;)

isi44

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wtf... 2 days with my blue 8X and my corners are already starting to get that sh*tty dirt.

So after reading all the posts, you all are set set cases being the best option for this. I really like the 8X the way it is :/ So much for finally getting a great looking phone that doesn't need a case.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
small but weird problem... its due to the rubber coating. I have no streaks but all four corners are dingy looking from being in my black dress pants.

on a postivie... this device seems to repel finger prints

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
small but weird problem... its due to the rubber coating. I have no streaks but all four corners are dingy looking from being in my black dress pants.

on a postivie... this device seems to repel finger prints

Yup, if not from water, definitely something liquid based. Clothing dye, moisturizer, or hand sanitizer etc.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Here a couple of picks of mine... I have been using the blue one for 4 weeks, the black one for 3 weeks... I think, that the best way to clean the blue one is with a soft moist cloth, no excess water.

Attachments

• IMAG0017-small.jpg
    IMAG0017-small.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0015-small.jpg
    IMAG0015-small.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 19

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately no luck. I'm surprised that HTC didn't pick up on this during their design phase.

Yeah but I think its not part of the intended design that made it through. As we've seen in this thread, my phone especially, that these phones can go through some serious dirt and grime and not get remotely dirty. My opinion is that it has to be a bad batch that got through somehow.

llemaire

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am now on my third 8X in a week. After a few days of use the phone developes a blackening in the front top right corner of the phone and it gets larger as well. I have contacted HTC about this and they said something about a LCM leak which is some sort of liquid. This is a real shame as this is truly the phone I want but the blue with a black blotch in the corner of the phone is not what I had in mind. There also seems to be a very thin black line going down the right side underneath the casing as well. It almost looks as if it is some sort of element that's heating up and causing the blackening affect but the phone is not getting hot. I have checked several ATT stores to see if their display models have the same issue and they do not. Given the length of time it took for ATT to even get their 8X 16GB in stock, I wonder if this is a bad batch. Any thoughts out there?

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am now on my third 8X in a week. After a few days of use the phone developes a blackening in the front top right corner of the phone and it gets larger as well. I have contacted HTC about this and they said something about a LCM leak which is some sort of liquid. This is a real shame as this is truly the phone I want but the blue with a black blotch in the corner of the phone is not what I had in mind. There also seems to be a very thin black line going down the right side underneath the casing as well. It almost looks as if it is some sort of element that's heating up and causing the blackening affect but the phone is not getting hot. I have checked several ATT stores to see if their display models have the same issue and they do not. Given the length of time it took for ATT to even get their 8X 16GB in stock, I wonder if this is a bad batch. Any thoughts out there?
I think it is a "bad" batch. Got mine from Orange EU (they had them all replaced due a Sensor Bug though) and it is as clean as it was on the day I bought it.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

a "leak"?

the only thing in there that could be leaking is the battery. That doesnt sound very healthy...

baygacon

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

That leak doesn't sound too good :/ At least it explains where it's coming from (rather than it being dirt). Hopefully HTC make an official statement about it?

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My double shock case now has the same issue (on the corners only) from being in my work coat pocket. Must be damn dirty in there!

The edges of this case is rubber, hence why the grime is sticking.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I only have dingy corners, the rest of the device is spotless.... pretty sure the dingy corners are from being in black dress pants at work.

IMG_0311.JPG

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
yeah Im pretty sure thats the problem... anything else wipes off the device easy. kinda wish they made a verson without the soft coating.

Mines being replaced today for other reasons though

llemaire

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have been talking with HTC and their engineers are trying to determine what exactly the issue is. I can say one thing about HTC. They got back to me within hours of this happening and I spoke to them yesterday. On a Sunday no less. I have had numerous dealings with Apple who has a tendency to be in denial but I can tell you that HTC is different and I think HTC will get this right. I had a 8X two days after launch and like an idiot I returned it for a iPhone 5. Really started to regret that move within a week and went back to the 8X which was their second batch that went out to AT&T. This problem started showing up within 36 hours on the last three phones I have had but the first one I got right after launch showed no signs of this problem so I believe this to be a bad batch. It would be interesting to know how many of you bought yours around launch day versus how many of you bought yours within say the last week or so.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3