Phone getting dirty

chris7191

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Seems a bit odd and regular to be pocket dirt/dye transfer if you ask me. Especially the lines down the back on the one posted earlier in the thread.

LCM = Liquid Crystal Module

Seems plausible but the fluid would have to penetrate the polycarbonate beneath the coating to show.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Seems a bit odd and regular to be pocket dirt/dye transfer if you ask me. Especially the lines down the back on the one posted earlier in the thread. LCM = Liquid Crystal Module Seems plausible but the fluid would have to penetrate the polycarbonate beneath the coating to show.
I am far from an expert, but there is no way any liquid from inside the phone is causing the staining. What's happening is that the soft touch coating is coming in contact with something(s) exterior. The soft touch coating was a bad idea for a cell phone. It WILL wear out in places, and rather quickly. It was a worse idea than Apple deciding to paint andonized aluminum on the iPhone 5. It will look crappy in weeks/months.

chris7191

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC Trophy which has soft touch coating and has been remarkably durable for 1.5 years. Not a single scratch or mark on it, does not hold on to dirt either.

baygacon

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting to know how many of you bought yours around launch day versus how many of you bought yours within say the last week or so.

I bought mine as soon as it was released (import from UK) and I believe it's from the first batch. At least the corners aren't getting any blacker :/

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Folks...alcohol based hand sanitizer gel and clothe helped clean up my corners quite well. If i could be bothered right now i would keep going.

It just cuts through the grime to restore the blue colour.

Alan Wake

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine is not dirty yet, after around 2 weeks from purchase, but I'm preparing for the worse. So I'm keeping an eye on you guys.
Hope you will have a clean phone soon :) Fingers crossed !

I need to do a better job and don't have the time at the moment. Also, I do not think it will restore is completely.

Have a try.

I got the tip from the Lumia 920 forum.

scumpuppy

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Im sorry to say this to all you owners, but it isnt dirt, and it isnt something you can clean

Its clear to see that aswell as the area's getting darker you can also see that small grains of clour are coming off!.. I have seen 5 HTC 8 X's in the last few days that friends and family all own, they are all exactly the same, and this is after one month! can you imagine it after 6 or 12 months!???

Would you find this acceptable buying any other product that after one month the corners which were nicely coloured when new are now darkening and there are speccles of colour coming away?

To me its totally unacceptable and you cant tell me HTC did not see this when doing their extensive pre-production stress testing, it would have gone down as a known issue pre-production which if youd ont know all products have, someone would have signed off on it being an acceptable issue and to continue production

its ridiculous!

I have replaced both of mine for Nokia's now, and even if you dont think it now (after ONE month), I guarantee each and everyone of you will want to complain and get it replaced in the months ahead, unfortunately you only get 28 days to get it replaced with yoru carrier under the fault replacement promise, so i would urge you all to get rid asap and get a different phone that doesnt have a colour defect!

Anyone that says it hasnt got a colour defect, come back here in 6 months and tell me you still cant see it.. its very clear it has!

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So would this be a problem if I got a case? Not like it would matter since no one would be able to see it, but still.
It won't get dirty if the problem is not coming from the phone. I'm curious what's causing the color wash/dirt.
As soon as I find a cheap place to get the HTC Genuine Case, I'm buying it. However my country has no cases for 8X... Damn Romania!

Alan Wake

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow .. another user from Romania ! Salut !
Do you happen to have it from Orange ? The blue one ?

It won't get dirty if the problem is not coming from the phone. I'm curious what's causing the color wash/dirt.
As soon as I find a cheap place to get the HTC Genuine Case, I'm buying it. However my country has no cases for 8X... Damn Romania!

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

I ordered my HTC Doubleshot Hard Shell and my black 8X from Clove in the UK. I live in Mexico and the prices were great. Try to find one online with a good price.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
This is a common problem for first-batch HTC phones, unfortunately. The One X with the special metallic coating also suffered from similar issues, until HTC fixed the problems in the factory. Early Trophy phones also had the same issue.

If your 8X is staining within such a short time period, you should take it back to the store or call HTC and get a new one.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow I hadn't realised this was a problem, I quite fancied this phone but in black (boring old me) so I guess it wouldn't be a problem for me.
You can always rely on WPCentral's forum users to scrutinise every device that's for sure. :wink:

The corners don't go sort of shiny do they? That would show up even on the black and while not
a major problem it would annoy me. :eck:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3