Phone getting dirty

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed how dirty the polycarbonate gets through usage?

If so, is there a way to clean it??? It has gone "black" around the edges and corners, with some streaks on the back.

Using a wet-wipe for example does not work.

P__3BCA.jpgP__68CA.jpgP__7853.jpg

Last edited:

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It must be a feature. "Over time, your colourful 8X will turn black, like all the other phones you wanted to avoid"...

I may update my signature pic to reflect the true state of the phone over time.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's not polycarbonate, it's the soft touch coating HTC puts on the phone.

Some careful, gentle cleaning with a soft cloth moistened with a weak solution of soap and water should take care of it.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It's not polycarbonate, it's the soft touch coating HTC puts on the phone.

Some careful, gentle cleaning with a soft cloth moistened with a weak solution of soap and water should take care of it.

I am pretty sure the material was said to be polycarbonate. One of the HTC designers from a promotional video mentioned so before the phone was released.

Anyway, thanks for the cleaning tip.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
That was my concern when reading that it had a soft-touch coating. I ended up ordering a black one with the idea of getting original cases in other colors. I have one in Cali Blue from HTC and it looks great and it's wonderfully fitted to the phone. Hopefully they will make other colors available soon.

Post pics and let us how the cleaning went.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That was my concern when reading that it had a soft-touch coating. I ended up ordering a black one with the idea of getting original cases in other colors. I have one in Cali Blue from HTC and it looks great and it's wonderfully fitted to the phone. Hopefully they will make other colors available soon.

Post pics and let us how the cleaning went.

Photos added into first post. I bought a sleeve case for phone after it already started getting dirty. I will probably end up getting the double shock case too. 24 months is a lot of time to get dirty!

3773M

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this really feels like a fatal flaw. The rebooting and battery issues will be fixed by a software update eventually it seems. But in a couple of months everbody's colored 8X is going to look like an old shoe? What was HTC thinking when they shipped a device with this soft-touch coating if it wears this poorly?!

baygacon

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine looks the same, except I don't have the black marks on the back (only on the corners) Let us know how you go with cleaning it. I might try using warm soapy water as suggested

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Something seems strange with the actual streaking, a little too specific (I would think being in your pocket would produce a more even stain). I'm wondering if the phone has encountered excess heat or something? Can you confirm if the phone has been set on or around anything that puts off heat (laptop fan)?

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I could see the edges being colored by dark material like denim if it rubbed against it a lot - but not inside the (assumed) white pocket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills