Not very scratch proof!

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My 2 1/2 week old 8X has a scratch on its scratch resistant gorilla glass.

It always goes in a pocket with no keys or money. It's empty. I never put it face down on tables, chairs..etc.

I now have a scratch. It's not huge, but is bloody annoying.

Ben.

sibrecat

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
How deep is it?, could it be polished out with brasso?, sound daft but i have done it before, google it 😊
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not massively. I'll look into it. It's annoying that a product that should be more resistant to scratches has got a scratch on it! So much for Gorilla Glass.

fxwilliamson

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ben. It is annoying. I have the identical situation. Was struggling to lift my phone from off my desk, and so slid it face down to the edge of the desk. Now there is a noticeable scratch across the screen. Must have been something small on the desk. But I thought this was Gorilla Glass 2! Not supposed to happen, especially given all the hoopla about how tough and scratch-resistant this is supposed to be.
Will try the Brasso trick, though.

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll look into Displex. Thanks Villain.

I had my iPhone 4 for 2 years. The metal around the edges got scuffed and marked but the glass always remained scratch free. Two weeks with the HTC 8X and it's scratched! As FXWilliamson said, this is Gorilla Glass 2. It shouldn't be happening!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I was actually going to post about this very same subject. I was in the local Vzw store and was looking at the 8X and noticed a scratch on the screen. Was very long, but definitely deep enough for my fingernail to catch on it. I thought that was odd as this was supposed to be GG2! Guess I'll be getting a screen protector after all.

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly I've just had a chat with a guy from HTC UK who responded to a Facebook post of mine. They are going to ship out a new 8X and send my scratched/rebooty one to Taiwan to be ripped apart and diagnosed.
I asked him what they were more interested in - the scratches, rebooting or battery issue and he said it was mainly the scratches as the rebooting is a known problem which is currently being worked on by them/Microsoft.

He told me they'd seen the scratches exhibited on certain phones and is not what they expected from Gorilla Glass.

Anyway.. hopefully they get it sorted and I get a phone that doesn't scratch easily next time!

Ben.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
This actually concerns me the more I think about it. I was planning on getting a Zagg screen shield anyway, but there's something that concerns me about GG2 that is supposed to be so scratch resistant and it really isnt. Does this mean it isn't as strong as we are led to believe it is? Or is this a quality issue for the initial global batch and future runs will be ok? Inquiring minds...

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Brasso seems a bit rough for gorilla glass, I would think. You need a very fine grit, like a very fine auto paint polish, not a metal polish.

edit: evidently there's a few diff types of Displex if you decide to use that. make sure you get the right kind for the touchscreen. I'd still be a bit wary of it.
http://www.wirelessground.com/displex-touch-screen-polish.html

I think I might try something like 3M's 'Lens and Hard Plastic cleaner', meant for your car headlights. That should be fine enough to not introduce further scratching. I have not tried this, however.

Last edited:

mtsmedly

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree, been very disappointed with the supposed "scratch proof, resistant" or whatever they gall it in Gorilla Glass 2. Haven't even had the phone a week yet and already have quite a few nicks in the screen. Nothing too major, but irritating. Wonder what my options are with a Verizon version...

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Brasso seems a bit rough for gorilla glass, I would think. You need a very fine grit, like a very fine auto paint polish, not a metal polish.

edit: evidently there's a few diff types of Displex if you decide to use that. make sure you get the right kind for the touchscreen. I'd still be a bit wary of it.
Displex Touch Screen Polish
they have 2 different products. regular and one for touch screens (touch screen is in a yellow tube)

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ben. It is annoying. I have the identical situation. Was struggling to lift my phone from off my desk, and so slid it face down to the edge of the desk. Now there is a noticeable scratch across the screen. Must have been something small on the desk. But I thought this was Gorilla Glass 2! Not supposed to happen, especially given all the hoopla about how tough and scratch-resistant this is supposed to be.
Will try the Brasso trick, though.
Dude, the same thing happened on my Lumia 920:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/202390-2.htm#post1767303

It's supposedly the oleophobic coating that Gorilla Glass 2 uses. They need to do a mass recall on these things (highly unlikely though).

pieman666

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My 8X had some very fine scratches in the corner of the screen after only a couple of days in a pocket with no other items. I got a screen protector and a case for it, but have returned it anyway now as it didn't work properly with xbox live.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It seems that Gorilla Glass 2 is actually worse than the "original one" :p Never really ran into (this many) "scratches out of nowhere" incidents with phones that just used Gorilla Glass. That said, people have suggested it could be some form of oleophobic coatings etc, so it would be the coating/finish that gets the scratch, not the glass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo