Basic questions/Getting started questions

Robert Nowak

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not so much about apps, but more what to do with the stock setup.

For example, I can't figure out how to change the internet explorer homepage. I don't want the verizon app thing or whatever it is, as my homepage. How do I change it?

Loving the phone so far, just minor questions I have about it. Thanks

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure there's a place to change the homepage from what I've found - but what you can do is navigate to your preferred homepage, then pin that to your start instead of the IE icon.

Robert Nowak

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
couple other questions -

1- how do i adjust the volume of the earpiece speaker, such as when i'm on the phone? Using the volume control didn't seem to help the volume, as it was at 30, but still seemed quiet.

2- is there a way to have the battery icon/time/wifi icon/lte icon/ etc (top menu) always showing? It isn't constantly there, which can be troublesome as I want to know battery life left.

3- I was trying to reply to this thread on my phone, but when I clicked in the box to reply, the keyboard would disappear after 2 seconds, so I couldn't actually type anything. Any idea why that might have been happening?

Thanks a lot to those that reply.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone!

Let me know if these tips help:

1 - The earpiece speaker should be at maximum when it's at 30/30. If that's not loud enough, you may want to try the Hearing Aids option under settings (near the bottom of the list). And unfortunately, the volume set on your phone is the volume for everythign (for now). I hope a future update provides the ability to select ringer volume, audio volume and media volumes spearately.

2 - There is not a way to force those tiny icons at the top to stay present at all times. As a workaround, I downloaded the free 'Quick Settings' app and made a nice little row of teeny icons across my top row of tiles. I hope that helps.

3 - Not sure about the typing thing. The keyboard should stay present until you either click away from it or hit the [ENTER] key.

If you're new, there's a tiny new thread where folks are sharing their new tips. Maybe you'll find some good nuggets there: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/204483-wp8-newbie-tips.html

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
am i the only one that finds it annoying to not know the battery life? I'll look into that suggestion. Thanks a lot!

Well the idea of that kind of goes hand in hand with the design language; removing the chrome having content that matters. MS felt you shouldn't have to worry about battery life until it's down to around 20% when Battery Saver will, if enabled, kick in and display the battery icon (though I have no idea if it still shows when you hit that percentage). In theory they want you to use your phone without always having to check your battery. But if you need to check they let you tap the top so the indicator will peak out; granted that probably should be a percentage to be more informative though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923