Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    I'm getting my HTC 8X tomorrow. Finally! Gonna try out WP8. Going from Android Jelly Bean. (Galaxy Nexus.)

I've been reading the WPCentral forums for a while and so there are issues obviously. So:

How do I get my Gmail to work correctly (get my emails right away) and get the best battery life? Anything else I should do? Maybe a few tips? Thanks :D
    RyanR47 likes this.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    1) Set up your Gmail account by choosing Google when you click to add a new account. Then make sure you set it to download new content "as items arrive" to get emails immediately.
    2) I just keep NFC and Bluetooth turned off, but my battery life wasn't bad even before I remembered to do that. If you had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, you're probably used to a lot worse.
    Thanked by:
    Duvi 
    Duvi likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Best battery life and get your emails right away don't go together... to get them right away, you have to use push. If you push, your battery life is worse.

I set my Gmail through Exchange.

Username is yourusername@gmail.com
    Server is m.google.com
    Domain should be left blank

Start by going to the WP app store to download all the apps you want/need.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
    jleebiker likes this.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fierywater View Post
    1) Set up your Gmail account by choosing Google when you click to add a new account. Then make sure you set it to download new content "as items arrive" to get emails immediately.
    2) I just keep NFC and Bluetooth turned off, but my battery life wasn't bad even before I remembered to do that. If you had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, you're probably used to a lot worse.
    I read in another thread that you should connect your Gmail with outlook to save battery... hmm.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Best battery life and get your emails right away don't go together... to get them right away, you have to use push. If you push, your battery life is worse.

I set my Gmail through Exchange.

Username is yourusername@gmail.com
    Server is m.google.com
    Domain should be left blank

Start by going to the WP app store to download all the apps you want/need.
    Do you get better battery life through exchange? (To get them right away) And what's the difference between outlook and exchange?

As soon as you get home charge it let it be as hard as that sounds till the battery is full and you cant power it off while charging itll just turn back on.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano79 View Post
    As soon as you get home charge it let it be as hard as that sounds till the battery is full and you cant power it off while charging itll just turn back on.
    Yeah I do that with every new electronic I get

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aventador779 View Post
    I read in another thread that you should connect your Gmail with outlook to save battery... hmm.
    I had it set up with Outlook at first, but then I got annoyed at the icon being the same as my *actual* Outlook.com account, so I changed it to Google. I haven't noticed a difference, but I also don't track my battery too closely. If it gets me through the day, it's enough.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fierywater View Post
    I had it set up with Outlook at first, but then I got annoyed at the icon being the same as my *actual* Outlook.com account, so I changed it to Google. I haven't noticed a difference, but I also don't track my battery too closely. If it gets me through the day, it's enough.
    Eh I'll try it with regular Gmail first then.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    NFC off. Thats all I did and my battery was pretty decent. I think in the first few days I put a lot of crap on my home screen with updating tiles and that seemed to drain the battery a bit. I've now cut the crap and got the good stuff on there and my battery is doing me fine at the minute.

I'd recommend having a charger in your car though! (Nice car by the way)
    - Dubstep, Reggae, Drum & Bass, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Breaks, Ska & more.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ditched my iPhone 4S for the HTC 8X... No regrets!

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Scienide- View Post
    NFC off. Thats all I did and my battery was pretty decent. I think in the first few days I put a lot of crap on my home screen with updating tiles and that seemed to drain the battery a bit. I've now cut the crap and got the good stuff on there and my battery is doing me fine at the minute.

I'd recommend having a charger in your car though! (Nice car by the way)
    Not my car sadly... just a car I plan to own at some point in my life. I'll keep NFC on for a little bit and see how it works. If it's bad I'll try turning it off. Thanks!

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aventador779 View Post
    Not my car sadly... just a car I plan to own at some point in my life. I'll keep NFC on for a little bit and see how it works. If it's bad I'll try turning it off. Thanks!
    You should have lied and said it was yours. I wouldn't have found out lol
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    markk132 likes this.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Scienide- View Post
    You should have lied and said it was yours. I wouldn't have found out lol
    Then I'd be accused of being a liar because you can easily find that image on Google Images and I would be hated on this forum lol. Fine fine, it's my car ;) (On Forza 4)

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Heheh! Did you get your phone today then?

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    I got it yesterday! :D People keep complaining about battery life but I am getting AMAZING battery life with heavy usage. And I'm only on my second charge. (A new battery performs that worst)

My battery is working well too just takes a few charges dont know why everyone was freaking out

What colour is your 8X?
    Yellow Lumia 1020 (RM-875) Unlocked International

how much gigs do you exactly get with the 16gb?

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Glad you're happy with the phone. I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyeames View Post
    I get about 18hrs of normal use on a work day and about 14hrs on Sat or Sun.

not being rude but you answered my questiong wrong. :P
    was asking how much storage capacity there really is out of that 16gb. (only w/ the pre-installed apps)

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fzrashid View Post
    What colour is your 8X?
    I got a black one to RETURN, because all the blue ones were backordered so I decided to just get one and return it later. I'm going to buy a Blue one from Walmart for $149 and get a $100 gift card with it, best deal I've seen yet! Basically only $49!

I believe you get 12, but I already have about 9-10 left. I'm surprised I even need so little storage, I was maxing out 32GB on my Galaxy Nexus and that was because I had a bunch of custom ROMs and backups and all that sh*t.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    not being rude but you answered my questiong wrong. :P
    was asking how much storage capacity there really is out of that 16gb. (only w/ the pre-installed apps)
    Sorry, just woke up and I didn't process your question properly in my confused brain lol.

Yeah about 12gb. I've got 51 albums on here, a few HD videos and a few hundred photos. About 40 apps or so and 2gb remaining on the phone.

Its not too bad. Bit of step down from the 32gb I had but its usually music that you cut back on first.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fzrashid View Post
    What colour is your 8X?
    You think different colors will have different problems?

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    Yeah I have about 40-50 apps and music filled, (currently downloading offline maps) and still have a bunch of space left - surprisingly.

Same here on my sensation I had a 16 gig card and had it full of roms and backups still never filled it so 16 is perfect for me no need for a bunch of custom roms cuz this phone runs great out of the box. Dont think ill ever root this phone well maybe after a year or so when I get bored
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast