Here are the problems that need to be fixed FAST!

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've owned the htc 8x for 24 hours now. Here are the problems:

1. The app store does not have a place to see updates nor am I notified when apps need to be updated. I have to manually go to a downloaded app and see for myself if it needs to be updated.

2. Multiple "live tiles" are not live and delayed. A lot of this might be developer problems? But for instance the ESPN Score center live tile does not stay live.

3. Facebook app is absolutely horrible. Impossible to search for friends or your friends' friends. When you get a notice of an update at the top of your screen and click on it instead of going to the new notification it just takes you to the main page. A lot of times when reading a pictures comments they show comments for other photos instead.

4. Skype needs to be better. They got rid of msn messenger and expect Skype to replace it then they need to improve. They need to get the chat sequence to line up correctly. Skype needs to learn how to silence your phone Skype if you are on your computer, instead of chatting on your computer and having your phone blow up the entire time. Skype needs voice to text.

5. And ironically, I found this website via my phone. I signed up because I wanted to reply to a thread and I am not able to type via my phone. So I had to jump on my laptop.

These are the things that need to be fixed.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I've owned the htc 8x for 24 hours now. Here are the problems:

1. The app store does not have a place to see updates nor am I notified when apps need to be updated. I have to manually go to a downloaded app and see for myself if it needs to be updated.

2. Multiple "live tiles" are not live and delayed. A lot of this might be developer problems? But for instance the ESPN Score center live tile does not stay live.

3. Facebook app is absolutely horrible. Impossible to search for friends or your friends' friends. When you get a notice of an update at the top of your screen and click on it instead of going to the new notification it just takes you to the main page. A lot of times when reading a pictures comments they show comments for other photos instead.

4. Skype needs to be better. They got rid of msn messenger and expect Skype to replace it then they need to improve. They need to get the chat sequence to line up correctly. Skype needs to learn how to silence your phone Skype if you are on your computer, instead of chatting on your computer and having your phone blow up the entire time. Skype needs voice to text.

5. And ironically, I found this website via my phone. I signed up because I wanted to reply to a thread and I am not able to type via my phone. So I had to jump on my laptop.

These are the things that need to be fixed.

When you go to the app store, there is an update notification at the bottom. The live tile also shows when there is an update to one of your apps.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The store does show updates, both on the tile and in the app. Sometimes it can take 24-48 hours after publication, depending on what region you're in. Most of the live tiles are on a 30 minute refresh, but there are some known issues, developers and Microsoft are looking into this. Facebook, how is it impossible to search for friends? Swipe left, select friends, you can search from there. Notifications from FB are kind of hit and miss. Your Me tile will show when someone comments on your post, tags you, or likes something of yours. Skype, haven't used it, can't help with that one. For the website, there is a thread for comments and problems with the site, they just did an update recently.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I wonder about this, everything here is not true, I see updates on the store almost every morning ? And the Facebook app is easy.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I am not talking about my friends. I mean other peoples friends. I can not see their friends and no option to do so.

Also I don't see a place in the store at the bottom to see updates. I have yet to see any.

And lastly in Skype I also don't see a way to switch from your front camera to rear camera.

Green Samot

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I am not talking about my friends. I mean other peoples friends. I can not see their friends and no option to do so.

Also I don't see a place in the store at the bottom to see updates. I have yet to see any.

And lastly in Skype I also don't see a way to switch from your front camera to rear camera.

If you've only had the phone 24 hours, what updates are you expecting?

They WILL appear on the live tile and when you open the marketplace

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I had to manually find the Skype update. It didn't notify me. Don't get me wrong I am loving the phone and the potential is huge here. I just really want it to do well and the things I mentioned are things that need to be addressed if they want to compete with ios and Google. Do you disagree?

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I had to manually find the Skype update. It didn't notify me. Don't get me wrong I am loving the phone and the potential is huge here. I just really want it to do well and the things I mentioned are things that need to be addressed if they want to compete with ios and Google. Do you disagree?

Give it time. It's not a sprint. It's a marathon.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
1) It will show updates but they don't show up immediately when they are updated all the time. My battery level one took about 24 hours for me to be notified of an update.

2) I think this is more an app developer thing than anything else. For instance my "Amazing weather" and Battery Level tiles stay updated along with the built-in email clients. The ESPN Score Center app definitely has issues though.

4) I'd suggest getting the WPCentral application. The reply thing is an issue with the forum software, not the phone.

I'm sure the FB app will improve just like it has on Android and iOS, it finally became decent on iOS within the last year.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes agreed. And no I am not getting a new phone in a week. I just don't want others to jump ship. I was just thinking the wpcentral page was possibly an IE problem??

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
1. The Store tile shows a number for the apps that have update, it can take a little while for the store to update and notify you of an available update.
2. Live tiles are the problem of the developers there are plenty that work correctly.
3. Not surprised the FB app sucks it was just quickly thrown together by Microsoft so you're stuck there it's probably not going to get better.
4. The Skype app is a beta so it's not going to be perfect, they do appreciate all feedback to help improve it quicker though.
5. This site has a fantastic App for WP that even includes forum support check it out !

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I notice that the app is $0.99 cents. I'm completely cool with buying quality apps. But that leads me to another question. I've noticed a lot of apps that are free elsewhere, even on windows 8 (desktop), but cost money on the phone. Anyone know why? Like Words with friends, Draw Something, and cocktail flow is free on my computer with WIndows 8 but money on phone. Is that normal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss