Nokia Charging Pad and 8x = Amazing

ut_jd

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I went in and bought it, only a couple of Verizon employees knew the 8x had wireless charging. The rest didn't, so one of the employees that was actually in the know, asked me to put it on the display charger that was out to prove it to the naysayers.

patchulaz

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by patchulaz

is there a car adapter for the nokia charging pad?

Originally Posted by Duvi

At that point, why not just use a regular car charger?

because my lighter adapter is in my center console, so it's a pain to get it off the cable if I need to deal with it. i'd rather just set up a pad right underneath my stick to drop the phone onto to charge.

Nurgling

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
What's the power requirements of the charging pad? Typical USB plug is .5 amps. palm touchstone was like.9-1.0 amps IIRC. Typical car chargers didn't provide enough amps for the touchstone. A DC to DC converter was the best solution.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Any of you who are using a charging pad: have you timed how long it takes from the low battery warning to fully-charged?

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
For those using the Nokia charging pad is there a beep or audible sound when its done charging. The Lg pad beeps and its annoying at night.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
For those using the Nokia charging pad is there a beep or audible sound when its done charging. The Lg pad beeps and its annoying at night.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Just open the LG pad, and rip the speaker off the circuit board. Lol I left instructions and a picture on amazon.com.

(copied here just for kicks)

2012-11-22095224.jpg

Component one is the destroyed buzzer. It was covered in that plastic adhesive mentioned above, I carefully used a non-sharp stylus to break the adhesive as best I could, then just grabbed the box with pliers and pulled it right off. It obviously left stuff behind, but at least now the speaker doesn't work.

Component two is another box that is covered in that white adhesive. Somehow during my testing, I thought that component was generating the sound, so I pulled it off, and that's what broke it (see post 1 in this discussion). I had to just solder in a connection, and it's working OK. Don't touch this part... learn from my mistake!

A note... you should be fine to pull off the black box. That's what I did, and it's fine. According to regulatory filings I found (that I don't want to go digging for again), the buzzer is the end of that circuit segment. Removing the buzzer just moves the end of the circuit up a little bit, it doesn't actually affect anything. If you feel more comfortable, you can stick in a small screwdriver and destroy the disks, but removing the buzzers "black box" is not electronically unsafe to the circuit board.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Idiots at Verizon told me that the 8x doesnt work on the nokia pad.

All they had to do was set it down for a second to be proven wrong...

geekpryde

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Idiots at Verizon told me that the 8x doesnt work on the nokia pad.

All they had to do was set it down for a second to be proven wrong...

I bought my 8x at Verizon, they ordered me the Nokia wireless charger DT-900. Received and installed it today. Its been working great. no issues at all even with a phone case.

only thing dumb about it is the size and shape of the power supply, it takes up more than one outlet.

I guess it comes down to how smart or dumb the local Verizon employees are...

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Just open the LG pad, and rip the speaker off the circuit board. Lol I left instructions and a picture on amazon.com.

(copied here just for kicks)

View attachment 23757

Component one is the destroyed buzzer. It was covered in that plastic adhesive mentioned above, I carefully used a non-sharp stylus to break the adhesive as best I could, then just grabbed the box with pliers and pulled it right off. It obviously left stuff behind, but at least now the speaker doesn't work.

Component two is another box that is covered in that white adhesive. Somehow during my testing, I thought that component was generating the sound, so I pulled it off, and that's what broke it (see post 1 in this discussion). I had to just solder in a connection, and it's working OK. Don't touch this part... learn from my mistake!

A note... you should be fine to pull off the black box. That's what I did, and it's fine. According to regulatory filings I found (that I don't want to go digging for again), the buzzer is the end of that circuit segment. Removing the buzzer just moves the end of the circuit up a little bit, it doesn't actually affect anything. If you feel more comfortable, you can stick in a small screwdriver and destroy the disks, but removing the buzzers "black box" is not electronically unsafe to the circuit board.

How did you get the charger apart? Are there screws or just glued together

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
There are four screws underneath the four rubber feet on the bottom. Use tweezers or your fingernail to pull them out, then you'll see the screws underneath. Four more screws to detach the circuit board from the base.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia charger works great. Like others have said, it makes no sounds at all - which is TONS better than the other charging pillows and pads that chirp when you drop a phone on them, and chirp again when the phone tops off, then chirp again a few hours later when the power drains and charging kicks in again. The Nokia charging plate has none of this garbage and is completely silent.

My Verizon HTC 8x makes a 3 tone sound when you place it on the charging plate - and doesn't make any other sound ever again (not when it's topped off and not when you remove it). Perfect!

There's a teeny LED on the front of the Nokia charger that's illuminated only when charging. But it's so small and is nowhere near as annoying as pretty much every other LED on our alarms, clock radios or other bedside devices. Again - perfect!

The Black charger comes with a black plate, black cable but - strangely - a white plug/wall wart. Odd but true. That's how they're built and shipped. The White charger is completely white - white plate, white cable, white wall wart (very iPad'ish).

Even though the Verizon and non-Verizon 8X are the same size/dimensions, only Verizon's HTC 8x support wireless charging. Not sure why. I'd like someone to explain it to me. Nevertheless, all HTC 8X phones have the exact same dimensions. So even though it's not clear whether there's different hardware 'under the hood' to support wireless charging, all HTC 8X's are exactly the same size.

I hope that helps...

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon HTC 8x makes a 3 tone sound when you place it on the charging plate - and doesn't make any other sound ever again (not when it's topped off and not when you remove it). Perfect!
A note: When my phone is set to Vibrate (volume off), it vibrates for a small moment when placed on a charging plate.

There's a teeny LED on the front of the Nokia charger that's illuminated only when charging. But it's so small and is nowhere near as annoying as pretty much every other LED on our alarms, clock radios or other bedside devices. Again - perfect!
Where does the charging pad sit in relation to the phone? If the phone is on top of the charging pad, can you see the LED on the charger?

Even though the Verizon and non-Verizon 8X are the same size/dimensions, only Verizon's HTC 8x support wireless charging. Not sure why. I'd like someone to explain it to me. Nevertheless, all HTC 8X phones have the exact same dimensions. So even though it's not clear whether there's different hardware 'under the hood' to support wireless charging, all HTC 8X's are exactly the same size.
Yes, there is additional hardware to support wireless charging. I guess it is just very cleverly squeezed into the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077