Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

It says I have 6.42 GB used, which is correct (1.80 GB music + 1,16 GB apps + 1.06 GB other + 2.40 GB system). But why out of 14.56GB and not 16GB?
    And what on earth is the 1.06 GB other? I want to erase this crap "other"...

Can someone tell me what's wrong with my storage?

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Operating system....

Quote Originally Posted by nunyazz View Post
    Operating system....
    Isn't the 2.4GB the system...?

16.000.000 bytes are ~15,26 GB, it is normal that the real capacity is different from the capacity written on the retail package, but 14,56 GB seem a little small, tho... But I don't think that there is anything wrong with your storage ;) maybe it's the recovery partition or something like that.

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Asked phone support on twitter about the 'other' category:

@WinPhoneSupport: It would be anything that isn't music, photos, apps or system memory like Office docs or emails. ^EB

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Asked phone support on twitter about the 'other' category:

@WinPhoneSupport: It would be anything that isn't music, photos, apps or system memory like Office docs or emails. ^EB
    Thanks. I am going to hard reset my phone soon... I hope "other" will go back to 0...

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts
    Its cached for apps and games, emails, temp internet files/cookies, etc. It will go up and down based on your apps and actual free space. If you have a large amount open, it will be larger, but as your installed apps or saved media gets larger it will free up as necessary.
    Parktreeone likes this.

I have reset my 8X twice now and it seems that every time I get it set up (with all apps reinstalled) my "other" data goes over 5GB - and this is within moments of having all my apps reinstalled... We are talking practically NO usage as of yet - as in opening apps, browsing Internet, no caching, no photos/videos/music, no social sites/apps used, or even logged in and updated... This is kind of ridiculous as 5GB+ is over a 3rd of my "usable" capacity which SEVERELY limits my typical activity/usage coming from WP7, where all my installed apps music and other settings had much room to spare... I had hopes that Portico would help resolve some of this "phantom" data, but to no avail... Has anyone had any further luck in figuring out where/how this "other" data is occupying our devices??? It has my phone at less than 400MB available and limits EVERYTHING that I do...
    Strange... With my phone I have 3.18Gb other, but those are maps. Do you have a Verizon phone with Verizon Navigation? Or Navigon?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    Strange... With my phone I have 3.18Gb other, but those are maps. Do you have a Verizon phone with Verizon Navigation? Or Navigon?
    Well, no. I'm from Europe -Orange Customer. I don't know what really is in Other Files but as far as I know it is for caches or something. It goes up and down depending on my space. However it would've been nicer if I had the option to see what's inside (or even delete).