One possible problem with using the Nokia charging plate with 8x

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia charging plates came in yesterday (SUPER HAPPY since coming off of a Pre3 with TS2). One thing I read on the documentation that came with the charger is that it should read when the battery is fully charged and will indicate a full charge by blinking the white LED light. I have noticed with my 8x, the white LED stay a constant white anytime the phone is on the charger, fully charged or not. I would guess that the charger turns itself off or at least goes into a different mode when it detects the phone is charged (again, just a guess) so it does not over charge the battery. If so, then it is not doing this with the 8x, so leaving the phone on the charger too long could be a problem. This said, I always left my Pre's on their chargers with no ill affect on the battery, so maybe this wireless charging works the same. Of course, the Pre's had exhibition mode, so they were always using some power when on the charger, the 8x does not do this. Unfortunately, I have not found much information on any website on whether or not you should leave the 8x on a Qi charger for extended periods of time.

I did just think about turning on NFC to see if that indicates to the plate when the phone is charged. I will update once the charge is full to let you know.

If anyone knows more about this and whether or not this is a problem, please let me know.

UPDATE: I just re-read the instructions. It does a long blink when the phone is ALREADY charged and the LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF when the phone is fully charged (which to me means it stops charging).

UPDATE 2: With NFC on, and phone at 100 percent (both indicated by battery indicator, battery saver app, and green LED), the charging plate's white LED remains on.

Maybe the WPCentral guys can weigh in on this and/or contact HTC and Nokia to find out their take?

Last edited:

geekpryde

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia charging plates came in yesterday (SUPER HAPPY since coming off of a Pre3 with TS2). One thing I read on the documentation that came with the charger is that it should read when the battery is fully charged and will indicate a full charge by blinking the white LED light. I have noticed with my 8x, the white LED stay a constant white anytime the phone is on the charger, fully charged or not.

I will answer you as soon as mine is done charging today. Got mine yesterday and have had it fully charged wirelessly, but I failed to notice if the light blinks, goes out, or stays solid.

geekpryde

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The tiny white light on my Nokia charging pad does NOT go out even after the phone is fully charged. It also does not blink. Maybe the phone thinks it's fully charged (displays 100% and also the red light on upper right of phone turns green), but the Nokia thinks it needs more juice? Ill leave it on the pad another hour and see if it ever blinks/goes out.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
But is this really any worse/different than leaving it plugged into the wall since the phone always says it's charging and never stops the wall charger even after it hits 100%? And maybe the LED is just a status indicator and doesn't really impact charging at all in which case it would be the same as charging a Nokia just without the status indicator like the OP said basically leaving it on a different brand Qi charger.

mosi76

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am using my HTC 8X with an LG charging plate from Verizon and it seems to work without an issue. The LED on the plate appears to work in accordance with the manual and my 8x shows a red LED while charging and a green LED once its fully charged.

One thing I have noticed is that the back of my phone gets extremely warm after sitting on the plate for an extended period of time.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am using my HTC 8X with an LG charging plate from Verizon and it seems to work without an issue. The LED on the plate appears to work in accordance with the manual and my 8x shows a red LED while charging and a green LED once its fully charged.

One thing I have noticed is that the back of my phone gets extremely warm after sitting on the plate for an extended period of time.

Having the back of the phone get warm is normal. Now if it gets too hot to touch, that could be a problem.

Does the LED on the LG plate turn off or otherwise indicate when the phone is charged?

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nokia charge plate for about a week. I think its fine, the phone should (and appears to) stop charging once its at 100%, just like it would through the USB as mentioned. White LED remains lit as long as the phone is on the pad. Interesting that the charge plate operates differently with Nokia phone.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've read some posts on here that say it works with a case

I can confirm. We have two Nokia charging plates for each of our HTC 8X's with cases and they charge just fine with the cases on (we never take the cases off).

I can also doubly/triply confirm, the light DOES NOT go out once the HTC 8X is fully charged. My instructions said the light should go out, but it doesn't. I don't have a 920 to see if the light goes out as others indicate. I do not notice any particular warming (suggesting the phone is being over-charged), but that's subjective. Once I pull it off the plate, it always states 100% confirmed with 2 different battery level apps.

Last edited:

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
My Nokia charging plates came in yesterday (SUPER HAPPY since coming off of a Pre3 with TS2). One thing I read on the documentation that came with the charger is that it should read when the battery is fully charged and will indicate a full charge by blinking the white LED light. I have noticed with my 8x, the white LED stay a constant white anytime the phone is on the charger, fully charged or not. I would guess that the charger turns itself off or at least goes into a different mode when it detects the phone is charged (again, just a guess) so it does not over charge the battery. If so, then it is not doing this with the 8x, so leaving the phone on the charger too long could be a problem. This said, I always left my Pre's on their chargers with no ill affect on the battery, so maybe this wireless charging works the same. Of course, the Pre's had exhibition mode, so they were always using some power when on the charger, the 8x does not do this. Unfortunately, I have not found much information on any website on whether or not you should leave the 8x on a Qi charger for extended periods of time.

I did just think about turning on NFC to see if that indicates to the plate when the phone is charged. I will update once the charge is full to let you know.

If anyone knows more about this and whether or not this is a problem, please let me know.

UPDATE: I just re-read the instructions. It does a long blink when the phone is ALREADY charged and the LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF when the phone is fully charged (which to me means it stops charging).

UPDATE 2: With NFC on, and phone at 100 percent (both indicated by battery indicator, battery saver app, and green LED), the charging plate's white LED remains on.

Maybe the WPCentral guys can weigh in on this and/or contact HTC and Nokia to find out their take?

I have the charging stand, and didn't notice. Will let u know next charge. On a side note, where did you get the Touchstone 2? I thought only a handfull of prototypes were made, and the pic I saw, it wasn't very pretty. How's the Bluetooth audio on it? I have a VZW Pre3 with a Touchstone 1, and would love to get a 2 if they are floating around out there.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the charging stand, and didn't notice. Will let u know next charge. On a side note, where did you get the Touchstone 2? I thought only a handfull of prototypes were made, and the pic I saw, it wasn't very pretty. How's the Bluetooth audio on it? I have a VZW Pre3 with a Touchstone 1, and would love to get a 2 if they are floating around out there.

I only know of one other TS2 in the wild which belongs to Derek over at WebOS Nation. I was the guy that swept the one off of ebay that popped up with the white pre3 (though the white Pre3 wasn't part of the auction). I honestly didn't use the audio much, but when I first tested it, it worked great. The best part about it was that it held my Pre3 MUCH better than the original Touchstone and held it at a much better angle. I couldn't use my original TS after using the TS2.

OldSkoolVWLover

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The light not turning off is a lil scary to me, in one thread about the Lumias it seemed to be almost 50/50 of the light shutting off.... I would be scared of shortening the life of the battery if the light on does in fact mean the battery is still charging (which it would seem to be what that indicated).

Some of the Lumia folks reported extra heat when the light didn't shut off as well (this is a sure Li-Ion killer). Anyone noticing an extra warmth after full charge with the 8X? Technically the chip in the battery should stop it from charging when full, but the light staying on on the charging pad then means???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon