Another cracked screen

3773M

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Barely knocked my phone against the tile countertop as I was walking buy and the corner immediately chipped. With all the noise about cracked screens here and on The Verge, I think there is seriously some sort of defect at play here.

Last edited:

3773M

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem is most likely that the corners of the screen are slightly exposed. I have seen threads here reporting that the edges of the screen are not exactly flush with the body. Mine has that issue. The corners are raised maybe 1mm from the body and it seems like that would make them extremly susceptible to chipping.

mark1914

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine slipped out of my pocket on to a tile floor. No chips but some scratches on the screen. Gorilla glass isn't scratch proof I see!

ItsMrMark

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
These reports are characteristic of HTCs poor quality in build. I have had enough experience with HTC phones to say they are not producing a quality device when compared to their competitors. My experience is based off of HTC HD7, Sensation, Amaze, Nexus One, myTouch 4G to name a few which all had issues. Every Samsung device I have had, 4 Vibrants, 2 Galaxy S II, Nexus S, Galaxy Tab all did not experience quality issues. I have owned 7 iPhones and no issues there either.

Disclosure: I buy a new phone roughly every other month. (Hobby)

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
These reports are characteristic of HTCs poor quality in build. I have had enough experience with HTC phones to say they are not producing a quality device when compared to their competitors. My experience is based off of HTC HD7, Sensation, Amaze, Nexus One, myTouch 4G to name a few which all had issues. Every Samsung device I have had, 4 Vibrants, 2 Galaxy S II, Nexus S, Galaxy Tab all did not experience quality issues. I have owned 7 iPhones and no issues there either. Disclosure: I buy a new phone roughly every other month. (Hobby)
Every review out there raves about the build quality/materials of the 8x. The glass screen is raised and curves into the body of the phone. This design exposes the glass more than other phones, thus making it more suseptable to cracking under certain circumstances. It's not a "quality" issue...it's a "design" issue.

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Dropped my 8x twice on Saturday night, second time it even got danced on. Yet still good as new.

Also had a Desire HD previously and left it in my pocket when i went swimming. Thing must've spent a good hour soaking in chlorine rich water. Still works to this day, 18 months later. Obviously had a couple of days drying out first. I was surprised though as chlorine is quite corrosive and no matter how long you leave an electrical item out to dry you'll still get residue that'll eat away.

ItsMrMark

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear! I was referring to 3773M saying "I have seen threads here reporting that the edges of the screen are not exactly flush with the body. Mine has that issue." but I believe I misread it thinking he said the glass was raised in defect, not as a design feature.

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Look at the iPhone 4, 4S and 5. The 4's are made of metal and glass...if you drop them without a case they are toast. The iPhone 5 is showing issues like paint chipping ( out of the box in some cases), light leaking above the screen, rattling sounds, etc.

Cell phones are not indestructible. Buy a case, use screen protectors and treat the things like they are made of plastic and glass and soft metal(s)...because, they are.

kwa

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
20121201_105941.jpgmy HTC 8x just touched the wall from a distance of few inches and cracked in a miserable way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is this the gorilla glass 2 ?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox!! Dropped mine, got that instant foot catch with the toss up back to the hand thingy. Almost ate the counter trying to save my phone. Unless they start making these things out of lead, a case is a must. I bump crap at work every 5 seconds when I have an bare phone in my pocket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05