Another cracked screen

3773M

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't underestimate how accident prone the corners of this phone are going to be. Here is mine.

Last edited:

mosi76

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you purchase Microsoft assurance after you purchase the phone? I can't find any info about the program on line

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
These reports are characteristic of HTCs poor quality in build. I have had enough experience with HTC phones to say they are not producing a quality device when compared to their competitors. My experience is based off of HTC HD7, Sensation, Amaze, Nexus One, myTouch 4G to name a few which all had issues. Every Samsung device I have had, 4 Vibrants, 2 Galaxy S II, Nexus S, Galaxy Tab all did not experience quality issues. I have owned 7 iPhones and no issues there either.

Disclosure: I buy a new phone roughly every other month. (Hobby)

I agree. Out of two HTC One X, two HTC 8x, two iphone 4s, a GS2, a GS3, and a Xperia S, the only 3 phones that did not have a problem was one of the Iphone 4s, the GS2, and the GS3. HTC was a clean 4 for 4 with at least one problem, maybe even more.

Coincidence? Possibly. However, 4 out of 4 on my end and 5 out of 5 on your end is pretty damning evidence even if we are just a small sample size of 2. hitting 4 out 4 and 5 out of 5 is pretty difficult to fluke.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Radar, HD7s and now an 8x, no problems with any of them. Anecdotal evidence is just that. You have to take care of your phones, people. I know it's pretty and all, but if you take the risk of not having a case, don't come on here and complain when it cracks. It's not a block of wood, it's a computer in a fragile case. Nokia's drop tests look good, but I've already seen a few 920s with cracked screens from drops, it all depends how it hits the floor. PUT A CASE ON IT.

kwa

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I went to HTC Care to replace my lcd and they said it will be available after 3 - 4 weeks and the expected price is around 250 - 300 $ !!!!!!!! i bought my mobile on contract for 200 $ to save some money and now i'm going to pay the difference !!!! i found lcd replacement on e-bay what do you suggest ??

afripino

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought the hard case / stand from Verizon. Needless to say, my phone survived a fall of about 3 feet faced down. The initial horror I felt was immediately subsided when I saw it was flawless due to the protection provided by the case. It's not bulky either.

People....get the case!

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought the hard case / stand from Verizon. Needless to say, my phone survived a fall of about 3 feet faced down. The initial horror I felt was immediately subsided when I saw it was flawless due to the protection provided by the case. It's not bulky either.

People....get the case!

Agreed. I purchased the simple silicone case from my local VZW store. The case adds limited bulk and my phone has survived two drops w/o a scratch. I also have a simple snap-on case for my iPhone 4S that I use for work. I have been fairly careless with this phone and it has survived multiple drops unscathed. I am much more careful with my 8X and added a screen protector on day one.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Can you purchase Microsoft assurance after you purchase the phone? I can't find any info about the program on line
this depends on the carrier more than likely. Sprint (I work for them) gives up to 30 days for coverage thru Assurion, who coincidentally, most major carriers use. I have them thru T-Mo

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Radar, HD7s and now an 8x, no problems with any of them. Anecdotal evidence is just that. You have to take care of your phones, people. I know it's pretty and all, but if you take the risk of not having a case, don't come on here and complain when it cracks. It's not a block of wood, it's a computer in a fragile case. Nokia's drop tests look good, but I've already seen a few 920s with cracked screens from drops, it all depends how it hits the floor. PUT A CASE ON IT.
Only reason I have an 8X is cause my Radar spider webbed on a perfect drop onto a pebble. Was probably like the 30th time that lol tank met floor

space 1

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Another cracked screen HTC windows 8 x

I bought my phone end off November my phone screen just cracked i put it down then next time i picked it up noticed screen had cracked i not dropped it or anything but HTC will not believe me. Then yesterday the speaker is now not working when use radio or music is distorted now phone is under a month old anyone else having problems rgds Neil page

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
does anyone here sit on their phone?
i like to leave my phone in my back pocket. i have the iphone 3g right now and always leave it in my back pocket and sit on it and nothing ever happens
is this the case with the 8x or would it not be safe?

-im thinking of renewing my contract with the 8x.

dookie dave

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't sit on a 8X, it is longer and will break its glass.
have you done it before?
i ALWAYS leave my phone in my back pocket, considering iphone 3 is smaller than htx 8x, i will probably have to put the 8x into my back pocket...
im about to make a thread asking if people sat on their phones lol... seems like 8x is like the iphone 4 in terms of baby-ing it and buying a case for it etc etc...

susslerville

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd post my experience here as well. I've had mobile phones for over 15 years and have never cracked a screen. 2 weeks in with my 8X and the screen shattered. I fumbled it taking it out of my pocket and it fell from pocket height onto the ground and shattered. I must have done this a bunch of times with other phones and have never had anything more than a scratch on the case. I don't carry Verizon's insurance for a number of reasons and I've come out way ahead over the years - so I'm not crying about that. But this launched me on a trek to find a repair place that could replace the combined glass/lcd unit. It's not as easy as going to eBay for this phone. The screen unit is in big demand (I wonder why..) and low supply, so finding a shop that could make the repair was a challenge. And it's expensive. I learned a lot going through this process, so here's some info that was shared with me that I hope will help inform others:
1) This isn't just an HTC problem. The repair shops that I spoke with said that this latest round of phones from a number of manufacturers is problematic. In order to give us big screens and cool-looking phones, they've extended the glass all the way to the phone edges with very little casing around it and virtually no shock absorption. 8Xs and others phones like it seem to be shattering left and right. The repair places literally can't get enough replacement glass/lcd units to meet the demand.
2) They're using a thinner glass and, in the case of the 8X and some other phones, a combined glass and lcd digitizer unit. That makes for an awesome touch screen experience for the user, but it's more fragile than prior glass.
3) The "gorilla glass" that the phone comes with is great for scratch-resistance, but according to the repair guys it doesn't mean anything when it comes to breakage.

I imagine that once the supply picks up, glass replacements will become less expensive and more available - but for now it's a real problem.

And.. regarding a case.. my phone was new and I was still looking into cases, so the phone didn't have a case when it dropped. I can't speak to whether a case would have prevented this.

Here's a picture of mine. Be careful with yours!
8X broken glass.jpg

Last edited:

phil2415

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Throwing in my experiences, I've owned dozens of different phones over the years, including iPhones and a Nokia Lumia 800 recently, and never had so much as a scratch on any of their screens even after drops and extended day-to-day usage. Today I dropped my HTC 8X a foot or two to the ground and the screen totally shattered. It looks to have emanated from one of the corners, and I think it's right that the corners are a weak point of the 8X's design.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox!! Dropped mine, got that instant foot catch with the toss up back to the hand thingy. Almost ate the counter trying to save my phone. Unless they start making these things out of lead, a case is a must. I bump crap at work every 5 seconds when I have an bare phone in my pocket.

Agreed, a case is a must. There are plenty of low profile low cost cases on the market.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd post my experience here as well. I've had mobile phones for over 15 years and have never cracked a screen. 2 weeks in with my 8X and the screen shattered. I fumbled it taking it out of my pocket and it fell from pocket height onto the ground and shattered. I must have done this a bunch of times with other phones and have never had anything more than a scratch on the case. I don't carry Verizon's insurance for a number of reasons and I've come out way ahead over the years - so I'm not crying about that. But this launched me on a trek to find a repair place that could replace the combined glass/lcd unit. It's not as easy as going to eBay for this phone. The screen unit is in big demand (I wonder why..) and low supply, so finding a shop that could make the repair was a challenge. And it's expensive. I learned a lot going through this process, so here's some info that was shared with me that I hope will help inform others:
1) This isn't just an HTC problem. The repair shops that I spoke with said that this latest round of phones from a number of manufacturers is problematic. In order to give us big screens and cool-looking phones, they've extended the glass all the way to the phone edges with very little casing around it and virtually no shock absorption. 8Xs and others phones like it seem to be shattering left and right. The repair places literally can't get enough replacement glass/lcd units to meet the demand.
2) They're using a thinner glass and, in the case of the 8X and some other phones, a combined glass and lcd digitizer unit. That makes for an awesome touch screen experience for the user, but it's more fragile than prior glass.
3) The "gorilla glass" that the phone comes with is great for scratch-resistance, but according to the repair guys it doesn't mean anything when it comes to breakage.

I imagine that once the supply picks up, glass replacements will become less expensive and more available - but for now it's a real problem.

And.. regarding a case.. my phone was new and I was still looking into cases, so the phone didn't have a case when it dropped. I can't speak to whether a case would have prevented this.

Here's a picture of mine. Be careful with yours!
Thank you and spot on. Another thing to consider are the thinner bezels. As screens display become closer to the edge, the framing for the bezel also becomes thinner. The framing typically helps support and take the impact of falls. When that framing starts to disappear, so does the absorption of impact, which this is transferred to the display.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb