Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Barely knocked my phone against the tile countertop as I was walking buy and the corner immediately chipped. With all the noise about cracked screens here and on The Verge, I think there is seriously some sort of defect at play here.
    Last edited by 3773M; 12-02-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Do you have a screen protector?
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    That sucks, but I've only heard of a few cracked screens due to drops, not a large number.

No protector.

The problem is most likely that the corners of the screen are slightly exposed. I have seen threads here reporting that the edges of the screen are not exactly flush with the body. Mine has that issue. The corners are raised maybe 1mm from the body and it seems like that would make them extremly susceptible to chipping.

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    Mine slipped out of my pocket on to a tile floor. No chips but some scratches on the screen. Gorilla glass isn't scratch proof I see!

That's it, I'm going to the MS store this weekend and getting some Assure action...

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    These reports are characteristic of HTCs poor quality in build. I have had enough experience with HTC phones to say they are not producing a quality device when compared to their competitors. My experience is based off of HTC HD7, Sensation, Amaze, Nexus One, myTouch 4G to name a few which all had issues. Every Samsung device I have had, 4 Vibrants, 2 Galaxy S II, Nexus S, Galaxy Tab all did not experience quality issues. I have owned 7 iPhones and no issues there either.

Disclosure: I buy a new phone roughly every other month. (Hobby)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMrMark View Post
    These reports are characteristic of HTCs poor quality in build. I have had enough experience with HTC phones to say they are not producing a quality device when compared to their competitors. My experience is based off of HTC HD7, Sensation, Amaze, Nexus One, myTouch 4G to name a few which all had issues. Every Samsung device I have had, 4 Vibrants, 2 Galaxy S II, Nexus S, Galaxy Tab all did not experience quality issues. I have owned 7 iPhones and no issues there either. Disclosure: I buy a new phone roughly every other month. (Hobby)
    Every review out there raves about the build quality/materials of the 8x. The glass screen is raised and curves into the body of the phone. This design exposes the glass more than other phones, thus making it more suseptable to cracking under certain circumstances. It's not a "quality" issue...it's a "design" issue.
    Haxcid likes this.

It will be interesting to do a poll to see how many 8x owners have a damaged screen in a month or two.

Dropped my 8x twice on Saturday night, second time it even got danced on. Yet still good as new.

Also had a Desire HD previously and left it in my pocket when i went swimming. Thing must've spent a good hour soaking in chlorine rich water. Still works to this day, 18 months later. Obviously had a couple of days drying out first. I was surprised though as chlorine is quite corrosive and no matter how long you leave an electrical item out to dry you'll still get residue that'll eat away.
    lucas.scott likes this.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    That's good to hear! I was referring to 3773M saying "I have seen threads here reporting that the edges of the screen are not exactly flush with the body. Mine has that issue." but I believe I misread it thinking he said the glass was raised in defect, not as a design feature.

Look at the iPhone 4, 4S and 5. The 4's are made of metal and glass...if you drop them without a case they are toast. The iPhone 5 is showing issues like paint chipping ( out of the box in some cases), light leaking above the screen, rattling sounds, etc.

Cell phones are not indestructible. Buy a case, use screen protectors and treat the things like they are made of plastic and glass and soft metal(s)...because, they are.
    ibbyj likes this.
  14. kwa

20121201_105941.jpgmy HTC 8x just touched the wall from a distance of few inches and cracked in a miserable way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is this the gorilla glass 2 ?!?!?!?!?
    Last edited by kwa; 12-01-2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: add picture

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts
    :( I'm so sorry

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121201_105941.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	544.0 KB 
ID:	23952my HTC 8x just touched the wall from a distance of few inches and cracked in a miserable way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is this the gorilla glass 2 ?!?!?!?!?
    the 8x's coming next week. this picture make me die a little inside. THE HORROR

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    it didn't just 'touch the wall' and crack

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cameradork View Post
    That's it, I'm going to the MS store this weekend and getting some Assure action...
    Bring $50.

Quote Originally Posted by kwa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121201_105941.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	544.0 KB 
ID:	23952my HTC 8x just touched the wall from a distance of few inches and cracked in a miserable way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is this the gorilla glass 2 ?!?!?!?!?
    Did someone push you into a wall? Damn that looks terrible.

Otterbox!! Dropped mine, got that instant foot catch with the toss up back to the hand thingy. Almost ate the counter trying to save my phone. Unless they start making these things out of lead, a case is a must. I bump crap at work every 5 seconds when I have an bare phone in my pocket.

Don't underestimate how accident prone the corners of this phone are going to be. Here is mine.

Last edited by 3773M; 12-02-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Thanked by:
    mosi76 

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Can you purchase Microsoft assurance after you purchase the phone? I can't find any info about the program on line
    im sending mines back....I have light peeking through the whole bottom portion of the screen, from the left corner all the way to the right

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Yea, that is why I got a case protector, even though do no love them.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMrMark View Post
    These reports are characteristic of HTCs poor quality in build. I have had enough experience with HTC phones to say they are not producing a quality device when compared to their competitors. My experience is based off of HTC HD7, Sensation, Amaze, Nexus One, myTouch 4G to name a few which all had issues. Every Samsung device I have had, 4 Vibrants, 2 Galaxy S II, Nexus S, Galaxy Tab all did not experience quality issues. I have owned 7 iPhones and no issues there either.

Disclosure: I buy a new phone roughly every other month. (Hobby)
    I agree. Out of two HTC One X, two HTC 8x, two iphone 4s, a GS2, a GS3, and a Xperia S, the only 3 phones that did not have a problem was one of the Iphone 4s, the GS2, and the GS3. HTC was a clean 4 for 4 with at least one problem, maybe even more.

Coincidence? Possibly. However, 4 out of 4 on my end and 5 out of 5 on your end is pretty damning evidence even if we are just a small sample size of 2. hitting 4 out 4 and 5 out of 5 is pretty difficult to fluke.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast