Invalid SIM error on 8X

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Had this happened to me once I believe after airplane mode or just in an area with no service. If it happens again I will try that trick but hopfully it doesn't.

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah so it happened again and I am not sure when because the only time it will tell you its missing if you click on the phone and try to send a text. Once I reset I got some texts that was sent early this morning to me. Sucks!

SaintlyNYC

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
We have 2 Verizon HTC 8X in our house and both of us have been getting this message. I had this message pop up three times today alone. Had to restart each time. Would seem it is a software or possibly design error; but they need to fix it fast.

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah so I did the tape method and hopfully this will not happen again. Although I do find it odd a reset would fix it.

mickeythemous

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I had similar issue and found the same solution as moegumby:
- Settings > Cellular > changed "mode selection" from "Global" to "LTE and CDMA".

Seems to run fine now (previously was getting up to 7 SIM card errors a day). Tried the tape thingy but couldn't figure that out. Running WP8 on HTC 8x.

YCSMD

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
So my SIM error has gotten worse since 5 days ago so I took it into VZW (6 in less than an hour earlier). Dude at the door told me he's never heard of the phone getting SIM errors which I kind of laughed at and said "prolly cuz you don't see many of them". He said they sell quite a few 8Xs.

Anyways waited like twenty minutes and finally got helped and as I was explaining my issue, to which the lady was going to swap my SIM card out over, another guy walks up and goes "Don't bother. I have the same phone and I'm in for the same thing and already swapped my SIM. Its hardware".

I was happy because I was going to have to play along with their BS but she said okay and ordered me a refurb that should be in in a few days.

Btw I've tried reformats, sim card reseats, sim card clean/ port blow, and the LTE CDMA setting and none worked.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
"This particular case requires that you press a little harder on the power button to wake the phone up. The power button just happens to be on the same corner as the SIM tray. I wonder if the corner of the phone is put under too much pressure because of the case."

Brilliant observation. I got a case that requires a lot of pressure for volume and power and yesterday I got the sim card issue. I've removed it, we'll see if that fixes the problem.

I am still super intrigued by this theory. My case requires a lot of pressure over the power button as well. Can anybody else comment on this?

pattyandchips

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem and I'm in the UK we don't even have Verizon Mobile over here.

I have a leather case which you take the phone out of to use so I doubt its the case. It could be somehting to do with pressure though. Even restarting the phone once doesn't fix my issue you have to restart it at least twice before it will connect to the network again.

phil2415

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Same here - I'm in the UK on O2 and I get the same SIM error from time to time on my 8X. My girlfriend has the same phone and has it frequently. Oh, and I'm not using a case, since some people are surmising that the case might be something to do with it.

thetroublewith

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'll say again - if you're frequently having these issues, try a layer of tape on the back of your SIM card - this seems to make it fit more snuggly in the SIM tray.

To repeat, I haven't had a single error since doing this over a month ago - and I was getting them daily before that.

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally called Verizon about the sim error issue an they had no idea what I was talking about. They tried to trouble shoot me with different things even a factory reset an I told them that I already did all that. So finally they sent me a new SIM card. I'm 8days with the new SIM now an no errors. Funny thing too is I don't have random reboots anymore either

robsmithuk

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Was browsing the net and discovered Verizon 8x comes unlocked and is GSM capable. So I put in GSM sim and got invalid sim. So put Verizon back and got invalid sim. I stumbled across this thread and saw about the tape trick. That worked - I used insulating tape in top right corner.
Now the interesting thing is this: I got phone when it just got in store -black thursday. When I swapped sim there was a tiny bit of tape on the top right corner that I just discarded. So did someone at Verizon or the factory know about this? Or just a coincidence?

sensodia

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Got the exact same problem with an HTC 8S in France (operator SFR). The phone randomly reboots and it seem to be because of the sim...

robsmithuk

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Well ya see, when the sim is removed, the phone shuts down. So when the sprung connectors momentarily become disconnected to the sim - only takes a small gap, the phone dies. We have this issue at work with worn connectors on sat phones.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem but it only started recently, about 1 week ago and has been happening about a one or two times a day since. I haven't tried to take the SIM out even once since I got the phone (a replacement) back in early January 2013. I just power off/on and that resolves it. Definitely not limited to Verizon, I've got an unlocked 8x on O2 in the UK.

pattyandchips

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately restarting the phone doesn?t always work. I had the restart it three times before it would work again and it?s happening more frequently.

It really is no good as a phone now because I?m often going to ring etc. and cant because of the error. I've tried taking the sim out and cleaning but that doest always make a difference.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Its an incredibly inconsistent problem. I can go days without getting the error and sometimes I can even go 5 min without getting the error. I can't identify what is causing it and its making me so mad!

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
After 5 days restarting my phone everyday I fixed it with the tape trick 2 or 3 weeks ago, never again received the SIM error...

thetroublewith

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it guys!

Hopefully the people who are still experiencing the problem will take note and try the tape method now - I haven't had a single error for two months. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster