Invalid SIM error on 8X

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
yeah, those symptoms are exactly the same that i had with mine. tape will fix it, just add tape.

Update: still not a single problem or reboot since taping the SIM

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
yeah, those symptoms are exactly the same that i had with mine. tape will fix it, just add tape.

Update: still not a single problem or reboot since taping the SIM

Ok cool, thanks! I don't suppose anyone has a photo of their sim with tape on it do they? I'm paranoid I'll get it wrong...

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Just place the tape on the side opposite of the contacts then trim it to the shape of the sim card (or very slightly bigger)

its idiot proof

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm gonna give the tape a shot. I contacted Verizon they never heard of the issue. So they sent me a new sim card. I thought that fixed it cuz after my new sim card it didn't happen for 3 weeks. I was so relieved, but then what do u know it started again. Mine randomly reboots also. Sometimes it does it right after the SIM card error. Are these issues related?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, tape will fix all of that.

It takes 3 seconds, just tape it.

UPDATE: still not a single reboot or signal loss since taping the SIM card

Martin Meyer

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Random reboot and/or sim error? This fixes it!

Hi all!

As some already know, there's a "bug" on the design of the Sim Card Slot on the 8X (metal frame short circuits the Sim Card). I just made this image as a simple "DIY" of how to fix it.

My 8X was rebooting and/or displaying "Sim Error" several times each day, but havent done it since (2 weeks now).

htc_tape_trick.jpg

Please share and spread this!

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Random reboot and/or sim error? This fixes it!

Thanks for this. I have heard about the tape trick, but no one stated exactly how this should be implemented.

Martin Meyer

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

I would too, if I was sure to get a new phone with a Sim Card Clot without this design flaw, which I cant be sure of. So ... This works for me, and I cant find another phone on the market right now, that I really want to have - except the 8X :)

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

The purpose of the tape is to wedge it in so it has a solid connection, the tape goes on the back of the sim. It's not an issue of short-circuiting, its an issue of it losing a solid connection.

Place the sim in the tray and place tape on the opposite side of the contacts. and trim it to fit.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Don't mean to be rude but didn't we have an exhaustively long thread on this back in November/December?

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

There is a huuuuge thread on it that we were posting in as recently as the other day, this is the first time someone's put a diagram up so thank for that!

I just put three strips of tape over the back of the sim card, cut it to shape, and have had no problems this week, not really sure about covering up the actual connectors on the sim with tape, that just screams of becoming more of a problem as time goes on...

Still, if mine has any more problems I'll have to just go on at HTC and get them to fix it.

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I took the plunge and put three strips of tape over the back of the sim card, cut it to shape, and have had no problems this week, amazing!

Still, if mine has any more problems I'll have to just go on at HTC and get them to fix it but for now, this is the longest my phone has gone without restarting it in over 2 months!

Oh, I did try HTC support once more but didn't even get a response, that's four times I've put in a support call since January that they've ignored. Shall be moving to Nokia for my next phone I think.

Ray Rogers

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I had sent my phone in for repair, it quit altogether, they replaced the main board and the sim bed/slot. I've had no problems since. I think that they are aware of the issue but are trying to ignore it hoping it goes away

Martin Meyer

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

The purpose of the tape is to wedge it in so it has a solid connection, the tape goes on the back of the sim. It's not an issue of short-circuiting, its an issue of it losing a solid connection.

Place the sim in the tray and place tape on the opposite side of the contacts. and trim it to fit.
In my "Sim Slot", the connecters on the Sim Card actually touches the metal of the "Slot", so for me it was actually a matter of putting it around the front AND back (bend around the edge of the Sim) :)

I'm new here, so I'm not sure how many threads are already about the issue. I just know I googled for a couple of days without finding anything REALLY usefull, so thats why I made this - so that others, hopefully, will find it as well :)

YCSMD

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Pretty simple. I put one piece of clear tape on the back of the SIM, cut it to size, and popped SIM back in. Maybe a month since doing it and no more SIM issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb