Invalid SIM error on 8X

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I just turned Airplane Mode off on my phone and got an invalid SIM error (I don't recall the exact error, but suffice to say it wouldn't connect to the cell network). A reboot fixed it, although it showed the "No SIM" icon briefly upon starting up. Not sure if that's normal or not. Now it's working normally.

Has this issue happened to anyone else? Today's my last day to exchange the phone, so I'm going back and forth on it. Thanks in advance!

scadidas

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It happened to me on T-Mobile. I reset it 3 times in one day to get rid of it. I went to T-Mobile later that day and exchanged it for a new phone and so far so good? Knock on wood. If you do go back to the store, make sure you do an exchange for a new phone, don't let the Reps try to replace the SIM card and call it fixed, they tried doing that to me and my 14 day return was a day away so if I came back the next day or two with the same problem I would have had to pay a re-stocking fee!

migespy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue. It happens sporadically for me. I have taken a few screen shots to show the people at Verizon. Anyone have a fix for this, or does this indicate a broken phone?

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
My gut says it's a software error because I literally did nothing with the SIM card physically to fix the issue. That said, it still blows.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Get you phones returned!! Its the start of a whole world of problems - you'll notice the phone will start rebooting and turning itself off a lot as well. Im on my last day of ownership with my first 8X - have been HTC's guinea pig for a month. They are sending me out a new one today.

graysand

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This has started happening on my Vzw 8x also. Has happened 3 times so far, power-off/power-on fixes it up....until the next time it happens....
But is the problem with 8x or Verizon? :-(

Ingram Barclay

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was having the exact same issues, found this thread yesterday and decided to call Verizon to get the phone swapped asap. The tech told me I have 30 days since I'm on a business account, and had me try a full reset, which thus far (21 hours now) is working. I don't remember having the problem immediately out of the box either, so time will tell, but I expect to see the issue within a few days if it's coming back. I'll update here whether it worked long-term.

Hope this helps someone,

Ingram Barclay

wiibrewer

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue for about a week, and I fixed it and havent had it for 2 weeks since.

What you have to do is use the sim removal tool that came in your box, or you can use a toothpick or something thin to remove the sim.
Then take it out, wipe the contacts off, maybe blow in the port, and re insert the sim.

And that fixed it for me!

m0rf3us

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem on my AT&T 8X, it's becoming more frequent too.

At first it was two or three times a week, now it's at least once day, sometimes more. It's a pain in the ass. I left Blackberrys to get away from the need to restart my phone everyday, only to come across this problem. Anyone have a fix other than switching out the phone?

reedsutton

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
This has started happening to me sporadically and I am outside my 14 day window. What can I do?
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

nperumbeti

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's happened to me a couple of times now on my AT&T 8X. Reboot also fixes it, but very annoying. May have something to do with coming in and out of airplane mode, because both instances have been within a day or two of me getting off a plane. Any fixes would be appreciated.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The same issue has happened on a friend's HTC HD7 (exactly the same, down to fixing it with a reboot). I fixed it by folding up a piece of paper and tightly stuffing it in right above the sim card when it goes in the slot (it worked for 8 months, but recently I've been told it has been cropping up again). Not owning an 8X, I have no idea how the sim card slot is, but I figured I'd pass along this info.

My assumption is that this is some sort of common issue with HTC devices, perhaps that the sim isn't touching the contacts the way that it should. I got the idea for the fix initially from reading about this same problem for some HTC android devices. If you're within warranty, I recommend exchanging it or getting it repaired though.

CALLmeHUTCHY

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have had the Verizon HTC 8x. Im living in Helena Montana and am having a similar problem. At first it did not happen at all but after a few days it started to act up and say I had an invalid sim. I have noticed it only happens when im walking in between buildings on my campus. It seems to be happening in the same spot every time. From this I believe its a software failure with the connection going in and out of 4G and 3G, since Helena Montana is not fully 4G yet. I have also gotten the phone replaced, new sim cards, and the problem is the same. only recently the phone has been shutting off randomly. Im really hoping this problem gets fixed soon because I love the phone.

lmatt05

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine magically started doing this two days ago. I'm glad this thread is here.

I reset the phone and that seemed to fix it but it seemed to do it at random. I also removed the Sim card and thought it would be ok but still got the error today. I noticed that i actually had a dropped call yesterday which never happens in my house.

I'm hoping the OTA update addresses this but who knows. I tried switching today from airplane to normal mode and it worked fine.

I really don't want to swap the phone out since i didn't get it from verizon but i'm on verizon's network.

migespy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
After a SIM card replacement and another two tech support appointments at Verizon they are sending me a brand new phone. There was no single issue that would cause it, it was always random for me. If you take out the SIM card and put scotch tape over the gold chip it seems to help for a bit. Not a true fix though.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My VZW 8X just did this tonight for first time. I know it was on. Playing xbox for a bit and checked phone and no response. (Hit power button to wake it) and check for messages. Held it down and got the vibration/bootup. It was OFF!!! I never shut it off.

After bootup, with in 30sec to minute got an Error that the SIM was not detected or something along those lines as mentioned above. Did another manual reboot and seem to be fine now. Had 8x since VZW launch day and no other issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett