24 hours with my 8X

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll try and be brief. First, I love the feel of this phone. No matter which way you hold it it always feels super thin +1 It's as light as my iPhone 4 but a lot larger +1 The screen is great and doesn't take fingerprints well +1 Apps in general are great and feel more unique than iOS or Android apps +1 The sound is AMAZING, even thru the speaker, easily the best sounding phone I've ever heard (also, if you are playing music through the speaker, you can actually feel the air being pushed through the grill, pretty neat and a good indicator of how powerful the sound is) +1 Camera takes great pictures (I'll upload a few later).

The only problem I've found is that my battery died overnight for some unknown reason (I think it may actually have been a mail account I had a wrong password on), but battery life during the day has been great, easily on par with my iPhone 4. On a related note, I noticed that the default radio selection on the Verizon phone is "World", which I change to "LTE & CDMA" only, not sure if this may affect battery life (perhaps the GSM radios may get left on?), anyone with bad battery life may want to consider changing this.

I leave bluetooth and wifi on and use the light screen background, so far I have great battery life during normal usage.

lmatt05

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks i had no idea i could change that.

I noticed yesterday that i was able to talk and surf at the same time. Now i'm wondering if since it was on global it let me do that.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Charge over night... There is a bug in the email client, it will try to sync if WLAN is on, cell data off but WLAN in pause in lock screen mode.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've also noticed that the front camera really is great, but because of the wide-angle lens, there's a slight walleye effect at the edges of the frame, so if your face is close to the edges of the photo frame, your face will be distorted. Obviously the FFC is not meant to be the main camera, so this was an acceptable variable for including a wide-angle lens.

winphoneaddict

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well........ I started the windows phone 8 experience with a Lumia 920, because of my 900 ownership experience. I had it for a few days, and i must admit it has a remarkable display, an awesome camera, and the super sensitive touch screen was also Nice. But, i Just had a hard time with the size. It Is not That it Is tremendously bigger than my 900, but it felt and looked much bigger.

Then, i went back to the Rogers store to look at an 8x, and instantly fell in love. No......maybe the camera Is not quite so capable, or the touch screen cant be used with gloves, but it has got to be one of the most beautiful phones i have seen from a styling or looks perspective. That, and I think the screen Is more vibrant, and has better r?solution than than the 920. And the camera Is definitely very, very Nice, and looks fabulous from my point of view. I can easily use it with one hand, it feels nice "IN" the hand, and it Is Just leaps and bounds ahead of the Lumia 920 from my perspective as a user.

I Will probably miss some of the exclusive software "perks" of being a Nokia Customer, but they dont outweigh the advantages "to me" of owning the 8x. More later from my exp?riences owning This device as it progresses.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I found also that the blacks looked plenty black for normal use. Especially when watching videos. I think perceived contrast between relative colors is all that matters. When watching a movie, I'm not looking at the black and thinking "hmmm, that looks like a 90% gray, not black", i'm thinking "man, the contrast between bright and dark is awesome!".

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
According to chip.de, a leading German computer magazine that is real tough on mobile phone tests, the 8X display is the best in the category under 5 inches. Most color true display, excellent sharpness. chip.de is rather a Android fan club... but they will point out anything that has merit. I have a OneX+ as well, great 4.7 inch screen, but the picture quality of the 8X is really top notch for a 4.3 inch display.

Klutch12

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the 8x is actually better in daylight/well lit areas than the one on the L920. It would of been on par with low lit situations if it had a night mode like its sibilings the one x and one x+.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the 8x is actually better in daylight/well lit areas than the one on the L920. It would of been on par with low lit situations if it had a night mode like its sibilings the one x and one x+.

Hahaha. No.

whTxt.jpg

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
A few issues I've noticed. Although my battery life is great and I've not really had any of the problems that others have had with this phone, I have noticed some odd bluetooth issues. 1.) My phone did a random reboot when turning bluetooth on with my ear piece already on (probably a fluke, but it was definitely related to me turning on the bluetooth). Bluetooth has been working fine, but this time when I turned the earpiece on before the phone it crashed. 2.) While in a call, I could not turn my earpiece on and then switch to it. I could hit the bluetooth button, but the sound just went away, when I turned it back on speakerphone, the sound returned.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
...or the touch screen cant be used with gloves....

I have gloves that I purchased maybe 18 months ago that work with capacitive touchscreens. So if I need to use my 8X when out in the cold, the result is the same...glove and phone interacting.

Best of all, the gloves can follow me from phone to phone without having to view screen sensitivity a swaying specification.

Of course, there are other benefits of the 920's sensitive screen that are not applicable for my use case, such as length of one's fingernails.

OppfinnarJocke

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My 24 hours...

This is by far the most annoying experience I'v ever had with a new phone. Setting it up is ridiculously obfuscated... For close to 24 hours I have struggled with getting the phone to reliably connect to our university network (eduroam). This has to be done manually, for some reason, whereas my Nexus Andriod 4.2 tablet managed it automatically. Also, WP8 does not connect reliably, and every time it fails, it asks for me to put in username and password again. My HTC Desire Android 2.3 phone lying next to the 8X has no such problems.

In addition, the university runs an Exchange email server, but WP8 is not able to connect automatically, I have to set things up manually, but I still haven't managed to be able to send email, I can only get emails from the server. Again, my Android phone has no problems.

When I try to power off, the phone more often than not re-boots instead of powering off. And I am not pressing the off button too long, the message to "Swipe down to turn off" comes up and I do just that. The phone then usually shuts down and then boots up again.

Then there's the very annoying notification signal WP8 emits now and then, with no indication whatsoever of WHAT it notifies about. It drives me crazy.

No... this is not a phone for me. And I am sorry for that. Both the phone and the WP8 interface look really slick, but it is what's under the hood that matters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre