Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By LinT

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'm trying out a Lumia right now and Nokia maps + drive works quite well. Overall I think I'd prefer the 8x (or possibly Odyssey if/when it comes out), but there seems to be a lack of quality voice turn by turn navigation, especially if you want offline navigation.

Yep thats my only gripe.I spoke with HTC yesterday and they said that they are actively looking into something. The only one I can think of is garmin street pilot. But I dont want to pay for it when I was so used to the standard maps app in 7.5 providing this. I was thinking of going back to Nokia 810 but I like the form factor and looks of this phone to much to get the 810. I may just wait of spring for the garmin app. If anyone has other suggestions let me know.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I just don't know why they'd remove a feature that was already there in wp7.. I never imagined I'd see a decrease in features going to wp8.

yep thats the same feeling I have I cant fathom why. It must have to do with Nokia. I rely alot on the gps. I am going to give it another week and try out some other gps programs. But I do really love the phoen other wise. I have had several friends and family say it looks amazing and they all have iphones.

Global Posts
    3,662 Global Posts
    Hopefully It will be pushed out in an update. Or maybe Microsoft can licence Nokia Drive for all WP8 devices...

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Nokia drive is supposed to be available to all WP8 devices. Im not sure whether the manufacturers had to request it from nokia (royalties) or if the app isn't ready yet. Nokia's drive+ on the lumia phones is still a beta so perhaps when that moves out of beta we will see a watered down version for all windows phone 8 devices, i hope atleast.

When Drive+ is out of beta I would expect to the normal Drive be available on the 8X. Nokia is calling it "Here" on other platforms so my guess is that's what it will be called on WP as well.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    On another post here I read that an HTC rep said they were working on their own navigation app

just get wisepilot its 19,99$ turn by turn navigation app using bing and navteq maps

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I use the navigon app, not free, and unless you managed to pick up one of the special offers, it is fairly pricey, but well worth the one off investment IMHO, I had it on my titan and installed it on my 8x as soon as the wp8 version was available. It has full offline map capability, regularly updated maps, motorway lane guidance, speed camera warnings, live traffic etc.
  11. pdt

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I think some better navigation apps are on the way. For one thing, new smartphones including the HTC 8X have GLONASS capability (using Russia's constellation of 24 navigation satellites) in addition to GPS. By combining both systems, it can get precision down to ~10 feet as well as get a fix in more difficult locations. This should mean we can rely on the technology for a wider range of applications where more precision or access are useful. Also, the Windows Phone 8 API (which became available to developers only very recently) has improved features for geolocation, which should improve the accuracy of fixes and also makes it easier for developers to manage situations where the satellite signal is interrupted or the device is in motion (as in a car). What we need is for a developer to come up with a killer application for these new improvements. So I hope Nokia and/or HTC have some good ideas on this.

wow. that is disappointing. I swapped the Lumia 920 for 8X to get full Bing Maps with voice navigation. jeez... I never thought they would downgrade in features....
    tim.

There are no words to properly convey how furious I am with Microsoft right now. Why did I get a stupid Windows phone if there's no built-in navigation!?! I am such a fool! I went from a perfectly functional HTC Android phone with built-in Google Maps/Navigation, to a Windows Brick (trademark). No navigation? it's a brick. I can't return this because the stores have a 14 day return policy, which is ridiculous. It's not HTC's responsibility to provide a navigation app- and I sure as **** ain't paying for it- and AT&T Navigator? that's just none-sense.

Surely, I am not the only one who is outraged by spending hours of research trying to find out how to use navigation on my "totally sweet new Windows Phone", only to find out THERE ISN'T. This is a complete failure on Microsoft's part.

Anyone here have a dog? I've got a new toy for it to play fetch with, or bury in the back yard, or take a dump on. whatever. pshhh. Seacrest out.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    It took you over 14 days to realize it didn't have turn by turn navigation? Its such an important feature to you and you didn't even attempt to use it for over 2 weeks?? Something's not right with your story.... (just sayin)

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_pigeon View Post
    There are no words to properly convey how furious I am with Microsoft right now. Why did I get a stupid Windows phone if there's no built-in navigation!?! I am such a fool! I went from a perfectly functional HTC Android phone with built-in Google Maps/Navigation, to a Windows Brick (trademark). No navigation? it's a brick. I can't return this because the stores have a 14 day return policy, which is ridiculous. It's not HTC's responsibility to provide a navigation app- and I sure as **** ain't paying for it- and AT&T Navigator? that's just none-sense.

Surely, I am not the only one who is outraged by spending hours of research trying to find out how to use navigation on my "totally sweet new Windows Phone", only to find out THERE ISN'T. This is a complete failure on Microsoft's part.

Anyone here have a dog? I've got a new toy for it to play fetch with, or bury in the back yard, or take a dump on. whatever. pshhh. Seacrest out.
    No sympathy from my end.

You didn't know what you were buying before you bought it.

Had you researched properly, you would have known that Nokia is responsible for providing full turn-by-turn to Windows Phone. If you wanted it right now, maybe you should have got a Nokia.

14 days and only now you realise? Poor.
    Device: O2 Nokia Lumia 1520

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_pigeon View Post

No navigation = brick? Microsoft's fault that there's no built-in navigation? Well well...

Short answer: if you're not happy with your 8X because it lacks turn by turn navigation at the moment then just go back to your lovely old, "fully functional" Android phone. Simple as that.

What exactly is meant by the term 'turn-by-turn'? I use the built in Maps app and it works just fine. Not "offline" but otherwise I have no issue with it. Works a heckuva lot better than the NAV built in to my 2011 Ford which gets oddly high marks/ratings?!?!

We mean with voice guidance.
    Device: O2 Nokia Lumia 1520
    In Germany, T-Mobile sells the 8X with Navigon included for their customers! I think, that a limited version of Navigon should be included with every 8X. Allowing for 2 states / Laender / smaller EU countries. Then 8X owners could upgrade if they need any more navigation. But this depends on the carrier and HTC as well as Microsoft.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

There is no turn-by-turn which kind of stinks but the maps do work very well considering all you get is the basic directions. One thing I discovered yesterday while messing around with my phone is the application settings. I've gone about 3 weeks before even knowing that these even existed haha! Anyway, under application settings (you have to swipe left on the main settings screen to get there) you will see a maps icon. From within the maps settings you can download maps to your device for offline use. Other navigation programs will also use the map, so I can use my offline map for Texas with gMaps. It won't talk to me, but I suppose I can live with this until there is a better alternative.

I hear your pain. I'm thinking I'll role in the cost of a nice nav app to my phone price. The 8x seems like a nice phone and it's only $50 right now with an upgrade. I'm an Android guy but I'm a fan of all of the big three (MS, Apple, Google). I don't want to pay $199 unless I'm on the cutting edge... and since the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE and I have my hangups with iOS (plus I worry about Apple getting too powerful), I'm trying the Windows experience. The little I've played with the 8x had me wanting more.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I myself switched to the 8x except im coming from IOS a month ago an absolutely loving it. I still run my I4s as a secondary device just for some things u can't on Windows phone but I have been discovering great alternatives an have been using my iPhone less an less. That's the only reason I ever carry the iPhone with me anymore is for Google Maps turn by turn. I'm also hoping for some turn by turn on the 8x so I can almost completely eliminate the iPhone. But I guess til then I guess I will just have to bring the i4s with me for navigation