missed call tone coming through with sound turned off

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Very annoying issue.
out of the blue my phone (HTC 8X on verizon) started making an audible tone after missed calls, the problem is that it started doing this with the phone set to vibrate. This is an issue for me because it make it pointless to put my phone on vibrate if it is going to loudly notify me of a missed call anyway.
The sound is best described as 3 flat sounding beeps (very similar to the beeps that you hear if you ignore a call while you are already on the phone, or if you have someone on the other line and they end the call while you are speaking to someone else.

I am hoping that I bumped a setting somewhere in the phone but it isn't looking like that easy of a fix. I was on the phone with Verizon tech support and they suggested a hard reset, which I did, but it didn't fix the issue.

I have also tried going from "vibrate" to "silent" as well as unchecking all the sound options.

any help would be fantastic.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just glad to see that I'm not the only one. Don't do a hard reset. It didn't help me, and I had to start from scratch again.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I get the same thing, however the alert noise doesn't seem to be as loud as a regular alert sound. What I do is I just put my hand over the speaker when i'm getting a call and want it to quiet. That way it'll muffle the alert tone.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I get the same thing, however the alert noise doesn't seem to be as loud as a regular alert sound. What I do is I just put my hand over the speaker when i'm getting a call and want it to quiet. That way it'll muffle the alert tone.

as far as I'm concerned when u buy a flagship or "signature" phone, reaching for your phone to manually muffle the noise isn't acceptable

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Just checked and my phone does the same thing, even with the volume all the way down and all notification checks turned off. This is a HUGE problem for me as my "office" happens to be Federal Court rooms - and Judges do not like to hear phone sounds in court. I am glad I came across this thread since I am in Court next week and was planning on carrying in my silenced phone as always. Guess I may have to roll back to the Pre3 for next week.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I was just talking to someone at MS and they are asking what provider(s) everyone that is having this problem is on. Can you guys all chime in with your provider?

fsukb

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
We just tested at work. It's just Verizon, not AT&T or T-Mobile. And, yes, I'm having the same problem!!!! :unhappysweat:

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I was just talking to someone at MS and they are asking what provider(s) everyone that is having this problem is on. Can you guys all chime in with your provider?

I'm on Verizon, tech support blamed it on HTC and said that it was too new of a phone to have much onsite on other than what their help screen offered

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I just tested this on my new Verizon HTC 8X and I agree, it's not correct behavior to make sounds in vibrate mode.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Somehow Microsoft designed the vibrating to only control a small part of 1st party apps, so a lot of things, like games and apps, will still make sound even on vibrate..... The only solution will be staying careful (or buying an iPhone)

pardner

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Luma 822 from Verizon, same problem. Its pointless to have to turn the phone completely off in order to make it silent.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Somehow Microsoft designed the vibrating to only control a small part of 1st party apps, so a lot of things, like games and apps, will still make sound even on vibrate..... The only solution will be staying careful (or buying an iPhone)

you aren't understanding the problem. This tone comes during incoming calls which IS exactly what the vibrate setting should be used for

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786