Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Very annoying issue.
    out of the blue my phone (HTC 8X on verizon) started making an audible tone after missed calls, the problem is that it started doing this with the phone set to vibrate. This is an issue for me because it make it pointless to put my phone on vibrate if it is going to loudly notify me of a missed call anyway.
    The sound is best described as 3 flat sounding beeps (very similar to the beeps that you hear if you ignore a call while you are already on the phone, or if you have someone on the other line and they end the call while you are speaking to someone else.

I am hoping that I bumped a setting somewhere in the phone but it isn't looking like that easy of a fix. I was on the phone with Verizon tech support and they suggested a hard reset, which I did, but it didn't fix the issue.

I have also tried going from "vibrate" to "silent" as well as unchecking all the sound options.

any help would be fantastic.

Yep. I'm having the same issue. Hopefully it gets patched quickly!

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Just glad to see that I'm not the only one. Don't do a hard reset. It didn't help me, and I had to start from scratch again.

Whoa really? That's incredibly annoying. This would almost be a deal breaker for me... Don't want my phone going off at work or in class!

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I get the same thing, however the alert noise doesn't seem to be as loud as a regular alert sound. What I do is I just put my hand over the speaker when i'm getting a call and want it to quiet. That way it'll muffle the alert tone.

So is there any way to fix this issue? Don't wanna have to hold the speaker every time this happens.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I have this too on my Verizon 8x... very annoying.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sportrckr View Post
    I get the same thing, however the alert noise doesn't seem to be as loud as a regular alert sound. What I do is I just put my hand over the speaker when i'm getting a call and want it to quiet. That way it'll muffle the alert tone.
    as far as I'm concerned when u buy a flagship or "signature" phone, reaching for your phone to manually muffle the noise isn't acceptable

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WP7WasMyIdea View Post
    Yep. I'm having the same issue. Hopefully it gets patched quickly!
    Have you guys reported this to HTC/your phone carrier?

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Just checked and my phone does the same thing, even with the volume all the way down and all notification checks turned off. This is a HUGE problem for me as my "office" happens to be Federal Court rooms - and Judges do not like to hear phone sounds in court. I am glad I came across this thread since I am in Court next week and was planning on carrying in my silenced phone as always. Guess I may have to roll back to the Pre3 for next week.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I was just talking to someone at MS and they are asking what provider(s) everyone that is having this problem is on. Can you guys all chime in with your provider?

We just tested at work. It's just Verizon, not AT&T or T-Mobile. And, yes, I'm having the same problem!!!!
    Thanked by:
    pdch 

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I am on Verizon and am having this problem

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    I was just talking to someone at MS and they are asking what provider(s) everyone that is having this problem is on. Can you guys all chime in with your provider?
    I'm on Verizon, tech support blamed it on HTC and said that it was too new of a phone to have much onsite on other than what their help screen offered

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I just tested this on my new Verizon HTC 8X and I agree, it's not correct behavior to make sounds in vibrate mode.

Yep Verizon here too. I hate that tone!

I am also having this issue on Verizon. More than likely I will be returning the phone because of this issue unless someone has found a fix.

Somehow Microsoft designed the vibrating to only control a small part of 1st party apps, so a lot of things, like games and apps, will still make sound even on vibrate..... The only solution will be staying careful (or buying an iPhone)

Nokia Luma 822 from Verizon, same problem. Its pointless to have to turn the phone completely off in order to make it silent.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    Somehow Microsoft designed the vibrating to only control a small part of 1st party apps, so a lot of things, like games and apps, will still make sound even on vibrate..... The only solution will be staying careful (or buying an iPhone)
    you aren't understanding the problem. This tone comes during incoming calls which IS exactly what the vibrate setting should be used for

Verizon

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    So I just ran across something interesting. I was messing around on my phone today when I received a call, since I was already looking at the phone the caller ID showed up and it was a number I didn't want to answer so instead of letting it continue vibrating for the entirety of the ringing I just hit "Ignore". Now I didn't think of it at the time, but once I hit ignore the phone just kicked the person to voicemail, but more importantly I didn't get the missed call tone.

Question: is there a feature where if you click the power button when a call is incoming, it will stop vibrating (if on vibrate) or stop ringing? (similar to the iphone)

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ckd38 View Post
    Question: is there a feature where if you click the power button when a call is incoming, it will stop vibrating (if on vibrate) or stop ringing? (similar to the iphone)
    I haven't personally tried the power button, but I do know that if you hit either the volume buttons it will mute the ring/stop vibrating while a call is incoming.

Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    I have the same issue on my device. I would place two phone calls. One to Verizon to say that Windows Phone 8 devices are experiencing this problem, and you just want it listed as a product issue (tech support can do that) and then a second to the manufacturer to say that their particular model is having the problem. We already know that a factory reset is not helping so feel free to tell them that you've already troubleshot it and just want to get the issue reported. If both parties start getting calls about this issue then the sooner it can be fixed. I work at VZW and submitted it as a possible product issue but it won't hurt to have other calls come in from those that are having the problem. to increase the sample size.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast